Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 v70 d5 auto mysterious oil leak

Views : 467

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 18:08   #1
gsxf1100
Back to Volvos again

Default 2004 v70 d5 auto mysterious oil leak

Hi.

I have since a week a mysterious oil leak which seems auto gearbox oil but comes from under the front bumper.

So looking what's there without taking everything to bits seems impossible and I need the car everyday.
So no option to take all apart.

I found some about there being an gearbox oil cooler on the front, so, is there anywhere a picture of what's all behind the bumper and where is what?
What To do to access etc.
I don't have vida, so Google isn't very helpful by it either.

So, if anyone has any pictures of the pipes, this oilcooler, any location on how it is mounted and to what, or may even point out what could be the problem on the leak?

I am not sure what could leak all over sudden.
Especially from the radiator area.

Checking gearbox and power steering fluid I can't see a loss on it but it is permanent drip.

O rings, pipes, pipe connection, oilcooler, cooler connections.
It is defently red.

Any pointers maybe with pictures would be a great help.

Even if others had this experience before and can point out where to start looking.

Thank you.
gsxf1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 18:44   #2
abdiel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxf1100 View Post
Hi.

I have since a week a mysterious oil leak which seems auto gearbox oil but comes from under the front bumper.

So looking what's there without taking everything to bits seems impossible and I need the car everyday.
So no option to take all apart.

I found some about there being an gearbox oil cooler on the front, so, is there anywhere a picture of what's all behind the bumper and where is what?
What To do to access etc.
I don't have vida, so Google isn't very helpful by it either.

So, if anyone has any pictures of the pipes, this oilcooler, any location on how it is mounted and to what, or may even point out what could be the problem on the leak?

I am not sure what could leak all over sudden.
Especially from the radiator area.

Checking gearbox and power steering fluid I can't see a loss on it but it is permanent drip.

O rings, pipes, pipe connection, oilcooler, cooler connections.
It is defently red.

Any pointers maybe with pictures would be a great help.

Even if others had this experience before and can point out where to start looking.

Thank you.
I believe your Power Steering fluid should be Green not Red?
I used Pentosin CHF-11S which is a lot cheaper than the Volvo fluid.
Also, using Red fluid will eventually cause the seals on your steering rack
to fail. If you are lucky, flushing the red out & refilling with the green may save the seals.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 20:13   #3
gsxf1100
Back to Volvos again

Yes the rack needs replacing but not immediately.
It's brown kind of so I believe previous owner used red ones on power steering and gearbox.
Not sure. Can't drain and renew unless leaks fixed otherwise I buy twice.

I need urgend the fix this leak from the radiator area which is clearly coming from the auto gearbox cooler I guess.

There is nothing around the radiator or front bumper which can have this colour.

But nothing around Google to find help.

Can be an o ring, a pipe the cooler itself, no idea.
I can not find any threat someone had this problem and fixed it.

If I know what I'm looking for i can determine the cause order the part and do it in a half day. Especially if I would know what I am looking for when I take the bumper of and what's behind

No pictures, no drawings, nothing of the Internet to know or fi d answers.

I can't afford to leave the car a full day or even 2 as it cost me a hire car in the meantime.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 20:22   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

if it's the same as mine and many others the gearbox fluid does cool via the right hand end of the radiator (when looking from the front inwards) there is a pipe from the gearbox and a pipe back to the gearbox

there is an O ring on each connector which is a specific type of clip in connector you can buy such as this but check type for compatibility first

that could be the source of a leak but then again so could a split pipe or a leak in the radiator although both things seem less likely to me

as a first step I would identify the two pipes to and from the rad, have the car running (being very careful if the fan kicks in obvs) and use a few clean tissues to see if you can detect any seepage from where they connect

the correct gearbox fluid is red but will almost certainly be brownish if it's had anything less than a fairly recent and complete fluid swap

If that is where it's coming from then taking the bumper off will not help you at all with access as it's all on the other side of the rad, access should not be a problem at all

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 23rd, 2022 at 20:25.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 20:28   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

snap lock part no 9485149
O ring part no 988840

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 23rd, 2022 at 20:35.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 23:18   #6
gsxf1100
Back to Volvos again

That's brilliant.
Thank you.
That helps a lot.
I could only see some black aluminium on this side of the rad, may need to go complete under it and remove some stuff.

At least I know what I'm looking for now
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 09:24   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

It should be pretty visible from above, unless you have a different gearbox / different setup which is entirely possible I suppose

mine are there to see without having to move anything out of the way.. maybe it's just that you didn't know what to look for exactly, I dunno

point to note these are the in/out pipes that people sometimes use to flush new fluid through the 'box, but others do not recommend it for various reasons. search Gibbons method and you'll find various discussions about it

(again, if that's the type of box you have)

mini project - link
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 14:01   #8
gsxf1100
Back to Volvos again

Right, update o this leak.

All transcoole pipe and cooler are dry.
Figured out it's not red fluid.
So suspecting intercooler because it's at the bottom of the rad and Collecting in the plastic on the bumper.
And it is oil.
Now, I get it jet washed out and see how fast it actually comes down again and if I need a new intercooler.
Well, at least I can source a cheap one now and not buy anything new urgent.

Dos anyone know if this is a hard job to do as I do this the first time on a volvo?
I watched a video and it looks like that guy dismantles the whole front of the car, draining fluids and stuff. I am sure this all isn't necessary to disconnect the intercooler and exchange for a new one.

I always thought intercooler have no fluid running through? Or at least nothing you need to top up after exchange?

(which makes me think why I have a leak of oil there)

To explain from my previous post about having red fluid, some idiot before me filled the pas with red fluid, so the rack is leaking but I exchange this another time.
Cant get any worse apart from drips on the floor and it's not a lot anyway.