Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4192T E8QT Timing marks

Views : 1599

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2012, 11:42   #1
Nixerfixer

Default D4192T E8QT Timing marks

Hi there everyone im in a bit of bother setting up my timing marks i need to set and lock everything up as there has being a lot of people playing tipex artist/mechainc before i got this v40 td its a d4192t e8qt 96-99 co61998 so going by the gates web help im fitting a 5212xs belt.The reason i got this car was because of gray smoke pluming from the exaust on start up then clearing after a few mins but it drives simi well a bit lumpy,
So first
1 I whiped out the injectors and sent them off to my diesel man
2 then checked compression which was fine
3 checked the heater plugs - only 2 working so fitted 4 new ones
4 got my injectors back fitted everything smoke on startup again
but taught it would be just from the work so drove it and it
cleared left it for an hour or so and it was as bad as ever so
5 Rang my diesel man and he told me to check the little unit at the
front of the inj pump see could i hear it ticking when the ingion is
on and that was ok so
6 set up the timing and stick a new belt on her as i want to pull a trailer it would be no harm so when i set up the mark on the camshaft through the hole i pulled off the covers and then i seen all the tipex marks and chisel marks on the injector pump pulley so i slowed down and started thinking.The timing plug on the front of the engine was butchered as well so rad had to be removed to get that out, tried to get the pin in but no chance so turned the crank till i got in the right hole and the crank mark was at 6 o clock put the cover back on and there was no camshaft mark to be seen through the cover so i just taught it must out enough not to cause damage but out enough to cause the running problems.
7 got the workshop manual for the f8qt from another thread here and done some homework,and then i seen the tdc mark on the flywheel side so striped down another bit to see so now if i set the flywheel to tdc 0 degrees at that inspection hole my 8mm drill bit has nowhere to lock into but the camshaft looks good and my crank mark is at 7 o clock and the inj pump is at 4 o clock or so now i know that the injector pump pulley has being tamperd with but my diesel man can give me the tools to correct that but im going to upload some photos to see where im going wrong it must be something im overlooking or something simple looking at the manual the fiywheel cant be put on wrong, there's 3 holes in the head gasket so am i right in saying the head was never off it,and i took off the camshaft pulley and the key-way is intact so any help would be brill as id love to get this car back where she should be burning up the road thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg endas i phone may 12 351.jpg (223.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg endas i phone may 12 347.jpg (227.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg endas i phone may 12 349.jpg (219.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg endas i phone may 12 346.jpg (189.1 KB, 18 views)
Nixerfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 13:05   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Your crankshaft doesn't appear to be in the correct position. If you look at the crank sprocket you'll see a little square marker - I think that should be a 6 o'clock. There are two or three holes on the crank that the locating pin will go into so selecting the right one is tricky. When it's in the correct position you should also be able to slot the ring end of a spanner into the flywheel at the timing marker aperture.

Is there a dot stamped into the camshaft sprocket under the Tippex? If so, that should be in the correct position.

The pump sprocket should also have a little square stamped into it and should be around 3 o'clock - you'll see the marker line on the guard.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 16:12   #3
Nixerfixer

Well Baffler yes the tipex on the camshaft is mine the mark is under that and it looks good i can spin the cam bucket so that should btdc ok,now i moved the crank in dor to about 10 o clock till it tiped the valve and then back to 6 o clock and the pin slides in and locks the crank well,but....the mark at the bell housing is gone surely that cant change as the flywheel is bolted to it ...so has the flywheel being bolted on wrong but the manual siad the flywheel only goes on one way and when the mark is at tdc 0 degrees at the bellhousing the 8mm pin slides in a lot as if it is missing all the holes,so im going out again to check everything again thanks for ur advice this is a nightmare but i know it will come good. is there a dual mass flywheel in that do u know?
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:01   #4
Nixerfixer

Default Mark found

After leaving it and going away yesterday when i came back, i did find another mark on the flywheel but u look down from the top rather than looking in from the wing and i tapered the end of the drill bit with the grinding stone.
your right Baffler it is a little tricky the 8mm bit pushed in grand anyway i think i was looking at it to long.
It's going back together today i hope so i'll try and put up the pics of the two marks soon as i can thanks anyway for ur help.
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:53   #5
gatos
Premier Member

Hi Nixerfixer

Just saw your post on my blog, as I don't check that area very often. I see Baffler is helping at the moment.., so you are in good hands. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you are getting on.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote