Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering.....

Views : 434

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2015, 14:56   #1
AMP

Default Steering.....

Had my mate check for play in the steering up on his lift yesterday and all seemed fine. Thought I best make sure all was good before I take it to get the tracking done elsewhere. My question is the characteristic of these thro the steering wheel. It feels kinda twitchy like there's excessive play in a joint somewhere, a cm or so left and right if that makes sense. Bit like my Herald!!! Tyre pressure's spot on, perhaps the wheels are facing different direction??

Any thoughts guys?
AMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 15:57   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

The direction of rotation is clearly marked on all major brand tyres by an arrow with the word rotation inside.
If you can't find the marks, the side walls are kaput OR the wheels are on backwards.

How far off center is the steering wheel and does it pull to one side ??
If it does, I would not drive it except on a Sunday morning at slow speeds etc.

Which make of tyres have you got fitted, cos very cheap Superslide specials have thin side walls and that results in a rather jerky ride and poor handling. Soft compounds (Some bad tyres are made of dumped winter tyre compound from the near East) wear quickly when it gets hot and go out of balance as a result.

NOTE: There are no real wheel play limits for the MOT test, as you need to find out who made the joint or bearing and its design spec. I asked a TUV chap about this last week and he said, "If it moves, don't drive it" and "If it doesn't move, but should, fail it"!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 20th, 2015 at 17:16.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 16:04   #3
AMP

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain myself too well. Tyres are fine, I meant if the tracking was out could this cause the problem? It had new Firestones fitted just before I bought it.

It only feels like a bit of play thro the steering wheel the first few degrees left and right then all feels fine after that.

Wheel is slightly off centre, makes me feel like I'm steering left in a straight line!!! lol

Last edited by AMP; Aug 20th, 2015 at 16:12.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 16:50   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
Sorry perhaps I didn't explain myself too well. Tyres are fine, I meant if the tracking was out could this cause the problem? It had new Firestones fitted just before I bought it.

It only feels like a bit of play thro the steering wheel the first few degrees left and right then all feels fine after that.

Wheel is slightly off centre, makes me feel like I'm steering left in a straight line!!! lol
Sounds like the tracking is out, although I've no idea why folks buy Firestone anything. I would not take a set of their tyres even if they were free, as I can't seem to find them listed for anything sensible:

Top Max Performance Tyres
Bridgestone Adrenalin
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti
Nokian zLine
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
Vredestein Ultrac
Nokian Z
Michelin Pilot Sport
Continental SportContact (My summer tyres)

Top Winter Tyres(You can use them all year)
Michelin Pilot Alpin 4
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice Plus
Toyo SNOWPROX S 952
Nokian WR A3
Goodyear UltraGrip Performance
Dunlop SP WinterSport 4D (My winter tyres)
Yokohama W drive V905
Goodyear UltraGrip 6
Continental WinterContact TS 830
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3

Top Tyre Brands
Bridgestone Tyres
Continental Tyres
Dunlop Tyres
Goodyear Tyres
Hankook Tyres
Michelin Tyres
Nokian Tyres
Pirelli Tyres
Uniroyal Tyres
Vredestein Tyres

Note: There is very little difference within each group, it's just the missing names that are worthy of note!

PS: Bridgestone has nothing to do with Firestone!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 20th, 2015 at 17:11.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 18:09   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

My 99 2.0 has play in the steering, can't remember when or where I read it but from what I remember seeing it seems to be a quirk of these apparently, many are like that.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 18:15   #6
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Track rod ball joints amp mine was twitchy and it also got an advisory in one of them, new ones fitted and twitching is gone could be youre droplinks aswell mate they don't last long on britains roads.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 19:00   #7
AMP

My list grows longer!!! lol

Thanks chaps
The Following User Says Thank You to AMP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 19:05   #8
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
My list grows longer!!! lol

Thanks chaps
May not be those things but mine was twitching about at higher speeds everytime it hit a rut it felt like it was going to leave the road fine now mate

Easy cheap fix amp if youre a capable bloke both jobs can be done cheap enough I think my track rods were about 13+ the vat each drop links about 20-30 a pair from euro car parts or gsf.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote