Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 winter pack with active bending headlights

Views : 4291

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2017, 09:35   #1
Wetbehindthears

Default Xc60 winter pack with active bending headlights

Good morning,
This is my first post so sorry for the question.

I have read through quite a few threads but cannot find the definitive answer to this question, so it may help others.

I have just ordered the XC60 se nav, (not the new shape) on the options list I have selected winter pack with active bending lights. Other than being bendy xenons, what do they do?

In the notes it says some options are dependant on the driver pack which I do not have.

Unfortunately it does not go into further details.

Thanks in advance.

XC60 SE NAV D4 FWD
Wetbehindthears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 09:58   #2
v70stu
V60 T6

Just that. They turn a few degrees left or right with the steering, provided the car is moving. The lights are bi-xenon which means that the xenon lamp unit does both low and high beam but there is also an additional halogen high beam. Being xenon they are required to be self levelling and have headlight washers, so you have those too. If you plan to drive abroad there is a setting in the menu system to switch the lights over for driving on the other side of the road.

I'm not 100% on what the winter pack adds but I think it will be heated washers for the windscreen and heated front seats. Someone else will clarify.
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 09:58   #3
NigelDay
Premier Member

Active bending lights 'turn' with the steering wheel.
Only if you have the Driver Support Pack do you also get 'Active High Beam' which is the clever system of masking part of the high beam so as not to blind following or oncoming traffic.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 11:13   #4
Wetbehindthears

Thanks very much for the quick response.

It was my feeling when ordering, after reading several other posts I was wondering if there was some sort of auto dip. Which would of been a nice surprise!
Wetbehindthears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 14:27   #5
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetbehindthears View Post
Thanks very much for the quick response.

It was my feeling when ordering, after reading several other posts I was wondering if there was some sort of auto dip. Which would of been a nice surprise!
You won't have missed much (IMHO of course), great on country roads in the dark (even nicer on bendy roads 'cos they dip before you can). Useless in half light 'cos they dip without any oncoming traffic, and useless in town when street lamps and other furniture will make them dip.
My Management won't use them - but I do - but decide depending on the above situations.
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 15:17   #6
lordlichfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70stu View Post
The lights are bi-xenon which means that the xenon lamp unit does both low and high beam but there is also an additional halogen high beam.
Are you sure about this? I've got them and I don't think the high beam is xenon too. Flashing the headlamp it looks like halogen, not xenon. Mine's a Sep 16 build.
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 16:33   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

As was said, bi-xenon means that you have the xenon on dip and main - park the car facing a wall and switch the headlights on you will see the 'shield' that provides the dipped beam mask move out the way giving you full xenon on main beam. You also get a halogen driving lamp switched on when you select main beam.
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 21:40   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

...or to put it another way when you activate main beam, the xenon lamp adjusts its optics to give a main beam pattern AND there is an additional halogen bulb in there too for additional light - a bit like having spotlights.

They are bloody brilliant - best headlights of any car I have ever driven.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 23:26   #9
molsal

I fully agree, I live in the Yorkshire dales, most of our roads are unlit. These headlights are amazing.We also have a Kia sportage with xenons, but they are not in the same league.
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 09:41   #10
BEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70stu View Post
Just that. They turn a few degrees left or right with the steering, provided the car is moving. The lights are bi-xenon which means that the xenon lamp unit does both low and high beam but there is also an additional halogen high beam. Being xenon they are required to be self levelling and have headlight washers, so you have those too. If you plan to drive abroad there is a setting in the menu system to switch the lights over for driving on the other side of the road.

I'm not 100% on what the winter pack adds but I think it will be heated washers for the windscreen and heated front seats. Someone else will clarify.
Regarding changing from l/h dip to right, I recently queried this with my dealer who said if there is no provision for this in the menu, then the lights have a flat beam and I would not need to do anything. Just hope he is right as I'm driving through France and Switzerland to Italy in May.