Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric Window Winders

Views : 587

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 10:41   #1
Tancred

One of the rear window motors on my 1995 Estate has now packed up. It didn't get much use get much use and when I did operate it I noticed that unlike the one on the other door it seemed a bit sluggish and seemed to move the door panel out when it did. Is the motor U/S or is it possible to coax it back to life with some "friendly persuasion". Having them on the back windows always seemed a bit OTT but I suppose it gives the rear passengers a bit more freedom without the winders. Any advise welcomed
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 12:13   #2
George Holmer

Well, personally as I transport two lunatics (read 2 and 4 year old boys) in my backseat, I find electric windows in the back a must as I can switch them OFF. I have the same problem on my car although my motor is working. In my case, I think it is due to a crash some years ago which deformed the frame. My guess is that your door or the frame that the window runs up and down in has been deformed. You could certainly undo the trim and try to see why the window was slow and the door trim bending, then rectify that issue. A new motor is easy enhough to find at a breaker, be aware 960 window and motors will work as well as 940 ones but not 700 series windows and motors.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'79 262C (B27E/BW55)
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 17:20   #3
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

Default RE: Electric Window Winders

A tip is to lightly lubricate the vertical runners within which the glass sits - just takes that bit of drag load off the motor.
Might be worth checking that the motor has a good ground and getting it's full voltage. Failing that it sound like U/S but spares are fairly easy to find at breakers if a right pain to actually get to and remove them.
'92 945 S 150K

The Moon is 238857 miles distant from the Earth so I've been to the moon and back in mine...and it only took me 14 years!
Wentworth Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 20:38   #4
Tancred

George
Thank you very much for your reply. I actually believed the other side had taken a hit as the window trim has never been secure - tending to lift off when the glass goes up! I have now investigated, remembering to slide the speaker grill off rather than trying to lever it off! It seems the motor is dead although its probably not been helped by having to push against the doorlining. Fortunately we have a good Volvo breaker at Tamworth here in the Midlands who has a goodly collection, Many thanks for your help.
Mark
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 20:47   #5
Tancred

Tony
Thanks for your reply. Yes, when I inspected the runners they were bone dry which probably helped to shorten the life of the motor. Hopefully a S/H motor will do the trick if I can sort the reduced clearance availiable. The window is stuck shut and its hardly ever used - but it seems like the thin end of the wedge when you start saying " I don't need the Air/Con, the electric window at the back, the dud bulb in the Dash" and so on!!!!!!
Mark