Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 S80 OR ?

Views : 1169

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 13:58   #1
740 In France
James

Default Volvo V70 S80 OR ?

We will be looking for a 2002 on volvo diesel either saloon or estate. We like the volvo V70 D5 as I hear the engine is a genuine volvo one and is very good. I had a look on autotrader and a v70 D5 with low miles and around 2004 seemed more like 8,000pounds. We would have around 5,000 pounds to spend maybee more if We sell our 2007 Toyota Corolla Diesel.
We would really prefer to keep the Toyota so that We can see what we think of the Volvo for reliability and then make the choice to sell. Were the S70 saloons fitted with the D5 engine and what years do they go from and to?
What are the other diesel V70 and S80 etc engines like for reliability and who is the manufacturer?
What newer volvo diesel model would you go for with around 5,000 pounds and what are your reasons for buying?
All input and information welcomed. Many thanks James.
740 In France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 14:34   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Hi,

Well, my local dealer has five S80s, three of which are D5s, and they've been sitting on the forecourt for over three years. They move them around so people don't notice. They are a fine car but can be a nightmare to own, or so I've read. I personally would be inclined to go for a V70 D5 SE with all the extra's like leather, electric seats, wood trim, extra seats in the rear, but some of these are rare items. The 185bhp sport lux would be top of my list but I need to win the lotto first. Here's a taste http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-V70-Esta...d=p3286.c0.m14

Are you in France? Why don't you take a look in Germany? http://www.mobile.de/home/index.html?lang=en#1

Good luck...

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 22:37   #3
Volvo-in-my-blood
V70 D5 SE

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740 In France View Post
Were the S70 saloons fitted with the D5 engine and what years do they go from and to?
D5 was not fitted in the S70 but instead Volvo used an Audi derived five cylinder 2.5. This was the diesel used until the introduction of the Volvo D5.

Quote:
What are the other diesel V70 and S80 etc engines like for reliability and who is the manufacturer?
The same answer as above applies. There are some known problems with the Audi diesel (I'm sure someone else will be able to specify). However, the earlier model D5s (pre-2004?) are prone to injector failure. The replacements are very expensive.

Quote:
What newer volvo diesel model would you go for with around 5,000 pounds and what are your reasons for buying? All input and information welcomed. Many thanks James.
It is advisable to avoid the S80 as it was the first of the P2 platform cars (S80/S60/V70) and suffered from a spectacular range of faults. You could consider an S60 if you don't mind losing some boot space. Personally I've always thought they look better than the S80. Otherwise you'll have to look at a hign miles V70. The problem then is you run the risk of injector problems. It would be highly advisable to check if the car has had replacements. Hopefully this should help you. I'm sure I'll be corrected if any of theses details are erroneous.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 13:21   #4
740 In France
James

Thank you both for your very informative replies. The S80 did seem to be a cheaper used car, no wonder if they are trouble and the dealers can't sell them. How Much is the injectors to replace on the V70 D5 and what is different on 2004 on models? Is the S60 as much trouble?The sport lux looks a very nice car. Why is volvo and other manufacturers fitting other makes of parts. If I buy a volvo I expect to buy a volvo.
My Grandmother prefers driving a RHD rather than a LHD. We are now tempted to keep our reliable and economical toyota diesel and buy a very nice late volvo 940 petrol estate as a second car. Have up to 2,000pounds.

What are your thoughts on the 1997-98 940 LPT Celebration/ CD. I had a 1986 740GLE and liked it very much. Many thanks James.
740 In France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:08   #5
Volvo-in-my-blood
V70 D5 SE

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the 1997-98 940 LPT Celebration/ CD.
It's a proper Volvo and my mother-in-law had a 1994 940 SE estate. It was the normally aspirated two litre rather than the LPT version. It never gave her any problems and was continually loaded up to the roof with stuff. Providing they have been correctly serviced and maintained they should haev plenty of life in them still.

Check this for further info (and the 700/900 section)

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/FAQSummary1.html
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:58   #6
Volvophile
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you both for your very informative replies. The S80 did seem to be a cheaper used car, no wonder if they are trouble and the dealers can't sell them.
I'm sorry but that is quite frankly rubbish of the highest order. The S80 is a fine car and I have heard of many satisfied owners who enjoyed it's comfort and refinement matched with handsome, understated looks. The only models that had real reliability problems were the early '99 model build cars, everything was well ironed out by around 2001.

The only reason you find the S80 is so cheap is because anything in that anything in the large car segment never holds it's value well on the used market unless maybe it has a badge from Bavaria, Ingolstadt or Stuttgart. Sure look at values of SAAB 9-5's, Alfa 166's and even Jag S-type's etc - after a couple of years they all virtually collapse in value.
Volvophile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 09:25   #7
Volvo-in-my-blood
V70 D5 SE

So what explanation do you offer for S80s sitting around then?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 09:45   #8
Hezi
VOC Member

Hi

Perhaps the S80 is not as good as the German competition it certainly has not got the same "status".
In the value for money stakes a 2nd hand S80 is a bargain though. Regarding the reliabiltity my uncle bought new in 2000 and to my knowledge had no issues. It was crashed last winter on a highland road, he broke his back but the car took the brunt and probably saved him.

I think i would go for a V70 over the S80 due to its versatility,the S80 always looks a little large to me too.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:45   #9
Volvophile
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-in-my-blood View Post
So what explanation do you offer for S80s sitting around then?
As I just said, nearly all large cars that aren't from Germany are always a hard sell on the used market. Does that make them a bad car? No, not necessarily. It means plenty of bargains can be had, and the S80 is one of them.
Volvophile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 16:18   #10
Bernard333
Premier Member

I think the injector problem was resolved late in 2003 for the D5 engine ? I bought a V70 D5 delivered in Dec 2003 (ex factory and not from UK stock ) and now covered 125k miles and recently been advised the injection system is in good order . Overall I have given the car dogs abuse especially when it comes to carting stuff around loaded to the max and lack of dealer servicing . Only major expenditure was £82 for a rear wheel bearing at around 90k miles and now possible fault with the fuel tank pump which thankfully is not keeping the car off the road . I am hoping the car will give me another 75k miles at which point I am sure it will be fit only for the scrap yard so overall up to now I am happy with the car and would recommend it . If you can find a late Nov or Dec 2003 V70 D5 and get it confirmed that its a 2004 model then you should be getting a bargain and should easily be able to find one for £5k or less.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote