Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 960 estate seats

Views : 545

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 15:36   #1
Paul McGahey

Default Volvo 960 estate seats

This is my first post on this forum. I've been a member for a few years and I've got the feeling that someone out there may be able to help me. I own a 1997 960 estate that is good condition but the interior lets it down. I've sorted out the wrinkled door cards but the driver's seat is beyond rescue. All the second hand seats I have seen have been the same - good passenger and rear seats but damage to driver's seat. I was wondering if anyone had fitted seats from a more modern car to a 9 series estate? Any advice on this would be most welcome.

For the record, my first Volvo was a 940 2.0 Turbo that I had for many years. When I saw a good 960 for sale, I couldn't resist it. I still miss the 940 but there was just no room for two of the big beasts on my drive. I am trying to keep the 960 on the road for as long as possible but I know that will become harder as the years go by. It's nice to know that people may be able to share their experiences.

Any tips about the seats would be appreciated.

Paul
Paul McGahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 15:43   #2
tofufi
Premier Member

Hi and welcome

I've no 960 experience, but on 740/940s the seat base fabric and padding is not handed so can be swapped from side to side. Doesn't help if the backrest is damaged, however, as the lumbar support knob is on the different side.

Alternatively, if finding a good one proves impossible, one from a LHD car (Europe) may be a good source of one - no idea on shipping cost though!
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 20:42   #3
Paul McGahey

Default Volvo 960 estate seats

Hi Tofufi

Thanks for your suggestions. I really want a complete set of seats in nicely broken in condition (in keeping with the age of the car) that would fit without too much fettling. I've seen seats from a V70 which is a similar size but I don't know if they fit. I'll keep scouring the internet on the off chance that some show up at a breakers yard.

I think this is the right place to seek advice. There must be a wealth of Volvo knowledge among club members.

There's something about an old Volvo that makes it become part of the family.

I'm looking forward to the good weather to get stuck into a few little jobs. Things should be getting better this year. Look after yourself and stay safe.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 23:16   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

I believe the seats are similar to those in a 940. If so, it is not too bad a job to remove and refit the upholstery. If fact, you might find it easier than removing the actual seat. The electric adjusting ones are very heavy. You also need to be careful not to trigger the side impact airbag which is a standalone device behind the side console with the switches. There should be a plastic cap in there to fit while doing maintenance. Best to avoid disturbing the electric adjusting rails too since aligning the two sides so the seat slides back and forth smoothly is not a trivial exercise.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 00:03   #5
volvo always
Premier Member

Could you fit the leather from a passenger seat onto the drivers seat?

I did this with my 1989 240GLT estate with black leather.

The only difference was the bolster adjuster hole I had to fit a patch over as bolter adjuster on other side and cut hole for new bolter knob.

If your seat is all electric it may not be an issue.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 11:09   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Could you fit the leather from a passenger seat onto the drivers seat?

I did this with my 1989 240GLT estate with black leather.

The only difference was the bolster adjuster hole I had to fit a patch over as bolter adjuster on other side and cut hole for new bolter knob.

If your seat is all electric it may not be an issue.

James
Even on electric seats, the lumbar/bolster adjuster is still manual, can't think why.

The ideal solution would be the covers from a LHD passenger seat as Jim suggested further up.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 14:04   #7
Paul McGahey

Thank you all for the suggestions. Things have moved on since the days you only needed to undo four nuts and bolts to remove a seat. I've time on my hands at the moment to search the net. I'm ever hopeful. Stay safe.

Last edited by Paul McGahey; Feb 8th, 2021 at 14:07.
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 14:17   #8
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McGahey View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. Things have moved on since the days you only needed to undo four nuts and bolts to remove a seat. I've time on my hands at the moment to search the net. I'm ever hopeful. Stay safe.
It's still basically 4 bolts to remove the seat ( and the seatbelt bolt ) Granted the electric ones are heavier but still four bolts
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 14:57   #9
Paul McGahey

Quick update. I've found a set of seats at a breakers which would do nicely. Just getting a quote from some couriers. Included is a set of door cards without any wrinkles.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul McGahey For This Useful Post: