Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 centre console lid disassembly

Views : 201

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2024, 19:12   #1
2.4TSE
Master Member

Default 2003 V70 centre console lid disassembly

My 2003 V70 has developed a very annoying rattle from the centre console, investigation of which proves that it is inside the lower part of the two-part hinged lid between the front seats.

Although the hinge works properly, both parts of the lid can be move independently properly, and the friction/effort to move them is unchanged from new, something is floating around inside the lower lid.

Is taking it apart a matter of prising out the plastic plugs on each end of the hinge, or is there another way?

Thanks!

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2024, 22:10   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

this may help ?

it appears you may be right about the plastic end caps, I can't see any other method personally

they are notoriously creaky and rattly parts though I usually just turn the music up

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2024, 23:21   #3
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

That's a really useful drawing, Stuart. Thanks.
Of course, it begs the question: how complicated does a box with a lid need to be?

A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 13:04   #4
2.4TSE
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
this may help ?
Apologies for my slow response. Too much going on. Wow! This is an incredibly helpful diagram. Thank you very much, Stuart.

Quote:
they are notoriously creaky and rattly parts though I usually just turn the music up
They are indeed! If I can get the thing apart, my plan is not only to remove what's broken off and rattling around inside, but to to find a way of stopping the creaking. Let's see!

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
Old Yesterday, 21:24   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

If you have a look through 4x4's posts I'm sure he did something on the topic of felt pads ? If he sees maybe he can provide a direct link .. or maybe it was someone else .. sorry memory is hazy

At one point I was thinking along the lines of wooden wedges and hot glue gun but I never got around to it

mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:46   #6
2.4TSE
Master Member

Quote:
If you have a look through 4x4's posts I'm sure he did something on the topic of felt pads ? If he sees maybe he can provide a direct link .. or maybe it was someone else .. sorry memory is hazy

At one point I was thinking along the lines of wooden wedges and hot glue gun but I never got around to it
Certainly felt pads on the load cover. I commented in the thread that I have done the same. For the centre console creaks and groans I will use a reel of thin tape that I have that's felt on one side and adhesive on the other.

My priority though is to find a way of getting out whatever is scuttling around inside the hollow shell of the lower of the two lids (item 23 in the diagram). It looks like the only way is going to be to cut a hole in the face that normally faces down.

Old Today, 08:27   #7
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4TSE View Post
It looks like the only way is going to be to cut a hole in the face that normally faces down.
Drill a hole and fill the void with some type of glue that will hopefully trap whatever is loose

EDIT: Just seen this which should help you Click
Volvo 850 GLT website

Last edited by 4x4; Today at 09:02.
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post: