Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slow winding electric windows

Views : 939

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 00:06   #1
Tony440

Hi everyone,

I've noticed recently that the electric windows on my trusty old 440 are getting a little sluggish. When the engine is not running they will only wind up 3/4 of the way up, and then slow down and stop. With the engine running they do fully close, but at a painfully slow rate.:-(
Battery is new and checked alternator - so the power is all adequate.

I was wandering if anyone else has had this problem, and what did you do to remedy it? Lubrication? If so what kind?

Would be grateful for any help on this - as winding the windows up is taking longer than the journeys :P

Thanks everyone.

Tony.

Volvo 440 1.8i 204,000 miles on the clock.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 20:47   #2
Rob W

Default RE: Slow winding electric windows

I've got the same problem, I think its a buildup of grease and dirt over time in the runners. I find that pulling the window forward at an angle slightly, holding it near the top and pulling away from the pillar usually helps if it gets stuck. I'd also like to know if anyones overcome this problem and what they did.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 15:32   #3
Tony440

Hi Rob W, thanks for the reply -I'm going to take the door panels off this weekend to clean and grease all the runners etc. Also while I'm at it I'll try to take the windows out to see if there is a way of cleaning and lubricating the rubbers. A search of the forums shows that a number of people have suffered this problem, but as of yet there are no fixes. Will let you all know the outcome. :-)

PS - As of yet I have tried using WD40 and GT85 PTFE spray to lube the runners but to no effect...
I know the problem is not caused by the motors, because as you said tilting the windows unsticks them.

Trial and error will tell.

Tony

Volvo 440 1.8i 204,000 miles on the clock.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 18:44   #4
Rob W

You'll also need to clean the fabric surround material which the window runs up and sits in when closed. I reckon these will have over time attracted grease and moisture. Maybe soap and water, then drying with a hairdryer may do the trick. I think i'll also have a go at trying to sort this out when I get some time.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 00:06   #5
cris_vipercrew

yeahi get this a lot minaly the driver window and had to resort to tilting them a couple of times, normally run smooth in the rain as the moisture helps.

is it me or are the door cards an arse to get off?????
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 17:05   #6
stuchacks

IF the car's getting on a bit the motors actually start to get tired too - I've just replaced drivers side (wears out more quickly) motor with one from a local scrappie - cost £15 and works a treat now.
Quite easy to replace too.