Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen Wiper Problem...

Views : 1801

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2010, 16:28   #1
222s
Amazoniste

Default Windscreen Wiper Problem...

One of the wipers on my old heap is kindly playing silly games and slipping on the spindle. The mounting screw is fully tightened up, so this is presumably due to worn splines on the wiper or more likely, the spindle. Haven't had the chance to pop the wiper off and investigate properly yet but will do so later.

I'm pretty sure that new wheel boxes & spindles are available (iirc, as one unit) however how easy a job is it to replace / repair / solve this problem? I don't want to just araldite the wiper on, as I will be wanting to remove them at some stage, so even if it is a case of 'repair', I'd still rather it is something that I can dismantle.

How have other's dealt with this before?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 16:43   #2
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

Your best bet is to find a set of the '68 and later wipers for an amazon. Volvo saw the little gear boxes (at each wiper post) were problematic by this point and changed the design to a cam and cable action. They bolt up and the electrical connections are exactly the same as the earlier ones but don't get the slop in the arms from wear in the little gear boxes. I've got a couple sets of these and am trying clear some stuff out, See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...Q5fAccessories

For a RHD car you would simply need to undo the couple of screws the main gear box and flip a plastic disk over for them to park in the other possition from the LHD car they were pulled from. I would say it would be an hour or hour and a half project to pull out your old ones and put in a new assembly. But I do it fairly often so may be better to figure two hours if you have not pulled out a set of them before. I normally disconnect and pull out the heater/defrost/vent cables and controls for a bit more room under there.

Let me know if you need more info...

Chris
agent_strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agent_strangelove For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2010, 17:30   #3
222s
Amazoniste

The actual wiper mechanism itself is fine - just that one wiper is working loose on the splined post that sticks out through the panel in front of the screen, so I'd rather avoid replacing the whole set-up if possible! Many thanks though for the info, especially regarding installation, about the better version

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
Old May 24th, 2010, 19:12   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

It's quite common for the ferrule to come loose on the shaft. It will probably come off with the wiper arm once it gets too loose. No real cure but you might be able to fix it back on the shaft with the strongest Loctite you can find. The sort they use to stop the outer part of a roller bearing from moving in a housing. As Chris says, they can be swapped over to the later ones or a good pair of the same type. You can swap the boxes over by drilling out the rivets and fitting another one using steel pop rivits.
Luckily, it's not raining at the moment...........................
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2010, 20:46   #5
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
It's quite common for the ferrule to come loose on the shaft. It will probably come off with the wiper arm once it gets too loose. No real cure but you might be able to fix it back on the shaft with the strongest Loctite you can find.
By ferrule, do you mean the end of the wiper arm, or part of the wiper mechanism that emerges from the bodywork? The only thing wrong with mine is that the splined end of the mechanism is worn, and as a result the corresponding splines on the relevant wiper aren't engaging properly. Rest of the mechanism is all fine, no noticeable play, and the only part that is working loose is the wiper arm.

Old May 24th, 2010, 21:20   #6
davidw6092

Default wiper bodge

You could also try this bodge(or non-factory approved permanent repair)to the p.c amongst us.This is to use a land rover series one or two adapter that slides over the original shaft (after you remove the splined part)and then tighten a pinch bolt that grips the shaft,and gives you a brand new splined section.looks a bit agricultural,but is very effective.Cheers Dave
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidw6092 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2010, 21:42   #7
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw6092 View Post
You could also try this bodge(or non-factory approved permanent repair)to the p.c amongst us.This is to use a land rover series one or two adapter that slides over the original shaft (after you remove the splined part)and then tighten a pinch bolt that grips the shaft,and gives you a brand new splined section.looks a bit agricultural,but is very effective.Cheers Dave
Sounds very interesting - once the wiper is in place, how visible is the adaptor?

Old May 24th, 2010, 23:54   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

By "ferrule", I mean the splined part that's pressed onto the shaft. It can come loose or the splines can wear down. It's only made of muck metal I think. Once the wear starts the female spline in the arm just wears it down quicker. The arm spline also wears so a new arm might help. The Landy adaptor might work but doesn't look very neat. A good item to have in your onboard spares kit though if the shaft size is the same. My Saab 96 has a similar set up as standard. I've never had one of those off so not sure if they would be any use. I think the Saab shaft may be too small. Better than too big if you're going to try a fix. Swapping in another wiper assembly the best bet and I'm surprised you haven't had one offered. Dave or BDB?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:03   #9
lizardking

I had this problem so I carefully drilled and tapped the arm at the side of where it fits over the spline and inserted a 5mm grub screw which acts as a clamp,it works very well and is unobtrusive and above all cheap
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:08   #10
davidw6092

Default land rover adapter

The l/rover adapter doesnt show too much,and i am sure it could be ground down a little to make it even more unobtrusive,Dave
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidw6092 For This Useful Post: