Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Did Volvo change suspension parts during the P3 era?

Views : 603

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2023, 02:09   #1
innocent2k

Default Did Volvo change suspension parts during the P3 era?

I have a generic question, because I'm a bit confused after having driven a 2012 V60 R-Design a few times, because it was noticeably softer to drive than my own 2016 R-Design.

Did they change any suspension parts at the same time as the facelift? Cars were equipped with the same rims and tyres.

Two main differences is the mileage (mine has half the mileage as the 2012) and the 2012 was a D2 while mine is the T3, but I can't imagine that being significant here.
innocent2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 11:32   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocent2k View Post
I have a generic question, because I'm a bit confused after having driven a 2012 V60 R-Design a few times, because it was noticeably softer to drive than my own 2016 R-Design.

Did they change any suspension parts at the same time as the facelift? Cars were equipped with the same rims and tyres.

Two main differences is the mileage (mine has half the mileage as the 2012) and the 2012 was a D2 while mine is the T3, but I can't imagine that being significant here.
There are many many different springs, dampers, bushes, anti-roll bars for that platform over the years. Tyres can make a big difference too !
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 12:57   #3
innocent2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There are many many different springs, dampers, bushes, anti-roll bars for that platform over the years. Tyres can make a big difference too !
The point about tyres is why I stressed that it was both the same rims and tyres. (18" ixion, even the same variant, Goodyear Eagle F1 235/40/18). The 2012 I tested was softer but still firm. It was as if it wasn't as much bothered by less smooth surfaces, while in mine you can quite noticeably feel (and see, mostly due to the heated wind shield ) that it wiggles a lot left and right.

I am not as bothered by this itself, but driving two cars with supposedly the same chassis behaving so different raises a few questions... if the behavior of mine is normal, I can easily live with it, but if it's not I have a feeling I need to investigate in case something is off that actually needs attention.

I can of course not rule out that the shocks on the 2012 has been changed earlier and that a previous owner used standard after market ones that were softer, or would the shocks HAVE to match the springs? (because the 2012 is definitely lower than non-sports chassis)
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 16:13   #4
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

In interested in any experience of softer rides!

I've just change our other car over to Bilsteins and it's helped, but they don't seem to list for my V60 model.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 13:05   #5
innocent2k

Got the opportunity to test another 2012 today. It was still a softer ride than mine, so I now know there's something different between those cars and mine (also 18" ixion, different tyres though). I think i will have to see if I can find one closer to my manufacture date for a final comparison before I investigate any further.

Again, not really looking for faults, just a bit surprised that there's such big differences between cars that supposedly are the same and the curious and investigative part of me just wants to know why (And because of the slight chance there may be something going on such as an imbalance that I want to address before something becomes very expensive, but from experience just handing it to a workshop to find out does not really help much... they did insist for ages that my transmission shifted normally, allthough it did not.. luckily sorted and didn't require any actual repairs that one only a re-adaptation of a few shifts because of incorrect use of transmission fluid earlier)
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 23:19   #6
GJRLM

Check tyre pressures, makes huge difference in ride quality on my XC60.
I got it back after a service and it felt like they had swapped the shocks. Turned out that they put 2.7 barr in the tyres. Normal load needs 2.4 bar all around, but I run 2.1 Front and 2 in the Rears and the improvement in ride quality is significant.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 15:50   #7
innocent2k

According to the users manual of the V60, 2.3 is the absolute minimum for my car. I had filled them at 2.6 bar but did lower to 2.3. It's indeed softer, but still different enough to keep my interest about investigating this alive. But lowering to 2.3 did indeed improve the overall comfort. I am still thinking of "downgrading" from 18" to 16" because I do not really like the feel of the car pulling to the sides due to road wear, which I guess would make it even more comfortable but according to many it would completely ruin the looks of the otherwise sleek R-Design styling...

I still feel I need to test one car closer to the manufacturing year of my own, but there aren't many R-designs around from that model year for sale (nor do I know anyone who has one) so I keep checking out various dealerships to see if one shows up that I can take for a test drive.

(Yeah, I know I know.. I am probably easily the most difficult car owner in history... fully self-aware on that matter!)
Old Today, 09:43   #8
Julianporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocent2k View Post
According to the users manual of the V60, 2.3 is the absolute minimum for my car. I had filled them at 2.6 bar but did lower to 2.3. It's indeed softer, but still different enough to keep my interest about investigating this alive. But lowering to 2.3 did indeed improve the overall comfort. I am still thinking of "downgrading" from 18" to 16" because I do not really like the feel of the car pulling to the sides due to road wear, which I guess would make it even more comfortable but according to many it would completely ruin the looks of the otherwise sleek R-Design styling...
Did you change the wheels to 16”? What was the impact?
Julianporter is online now   Reply With Quote