Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any other SE owners out there?

Views : 781

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 01:53   #1
George Holmer

My 940 SE Turbo has gone mad! WHen I bought it less than a week ago, all lights were fine. I have now installed several options such as cruise control, rear electric windows, electric sunroof, radio/CD and so on. I doubt that it is related but my low beam has gone funny. All lights inside and outside the car work fine when I have it on 0 or parking, this car has DRL but no fuse 25 nor any wiring for it. When I select the low beam, all lights go out, inside and outside. In this position, the brake lights, back-up lights and indicators do work, as does the flasher but not the fogs. I have tested with a different switch to no avail. The only relay that I can hear clicking is up by my feet where there is a whole array of electronic boxes. What is going on, an in particular, which is my low beam relay?

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200K)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 143K)
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 21:04   #2
MATT

Default RE: Any other SE owners out there?

Hello George

The relays for the 960 which must be very similar to yours are

top row
A & E headlamp relay (extends down to next row)
B relay LH-jetronic / Motronic
C central locking relay

second row
D foglight relay
F bulb failure relay
G overdrive relay

bottom row
J bypass relay151
K intermittent relay rear window wiper
L intermittent relay windscreen wiper
M seat belt reminder

the letters are on the relays -if your lucky!

hope this helps, i would start with all earth connections

MATT
MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 00:42   #3
George Holmer

Nope, I have a 740 style fusebox behind the ashtray but the headlight relay seems to be somehwere else, above the engine management units. Oh well, I shall have to get hold of the proper manuals and greenbooks.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:22   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Firstly I would go through all the additional bits you have put on to see if you have dislodged a connection somewhere. There is no fuse 25 on UK 940s.The High beam relay is the second one from left, first row behind fuses. The low beams are fed from the main lighting switch to right of steering column, not forgetting thew Bulb failure warning sensor (the round "relay" at rear left of relays). Fuse 2 is for Hazard lights, Headlight flasher and Central Locking and fuses 17 & 18 are High beams, 19 & 20 are Low beams. These are the fuses associated with Lighting circuits associated with headlamp beams. Fuse 4 covers Brake lights, fuse 7 is for foglights and fuses 21 & 22cover the parking lights.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:56   #5
George Holmer

Thanks Peter but surely there is a relay for the low beam, there is a distinct click. Have you got a wiring diagram for these cars?

George

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:51   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

The relay you hear clicking should be the main light relay. This is second from left first row behind fuses. The other relay associated with beams is the right hand, same row. This is called the supplementary high beam relay. The first relay I mentioned is called two things on two diagrams!! On the high/low beam diagram it is called the High beam relay and on the Parking, tail and number plate lights diagram it is called the Main light relay. Confusing n'est ce pas?

All the best, Peter
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 22:35   #7
George Holmer

That relay makes no difference, tried that. I am still curious about the relay above the drivers feet up by the lever to open the bonnet. My 740 TIC have a similar relay.

Today I noticed something intriguing. One of the little updates that I have installed is an ambient temp gauge, the LCD type that sits in the bottom left hand corner of the instrument cluster. This is wired as per Volvo instructions with one wire to fuse 14, one to earth panel on fuse box and then one white wire to the white wire for the light for the cigar lighter and blue to blue there. All interior dash and instrument lights work 100 per cent with DRL and headlight switch in zero, same for park. The temp gauge panel lights up too. When I operate the dimmer, everything dims. When I select low beam, boom all is gone and darkness prevails except, I saw today, for the temp gauge which lights up once more. Operating the dimmer does not dim its internal light. This is a mystery. I tried disconnecting it from the cigar lighter light wire but no difference.

George

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 01:24   #8
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

When you go to low beams do you mean putting the headlamp switch fully to the right? If so then the wiring from that switch or the contacts inside have given up the ghost. Be very careful if you dismantle the switch to clean/renew the contacts. There are some small springs which will fly away if you are not careful. That is really about all that can give those symptoms. Perhaps you disturbed the wiring or a connector.

All the best, Peter