Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New joiner shopping for a XC60

Views : 4145

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:26   #1
Nando

Default New joiner shopping for a XC60

Morning all.

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I've been lurking around these parts for just over a week. Great forum - lots of information and great advice for those looking to buy.

So, three months ago our daughter (first child) arrived safe and well. Living in Central London and having a couple of cars already, I thought we'd be OK. We make good use of public transport and do a lot of walking around. However, the reality has presented itself…! The amount of stuff you need to haul around even for the simplest of journey has brought the need for a bigger car.

We did a test drive last weekend at the dealer in Watford and my wife was very happy with the D5 we took out. The car will primarily be for her and will also form the family car. I doubt she will exceed 3k miles/year. We are looking to buy something that we will own for a very long time so we want a decent enough spec to keep us future proofed.

This is our minimum spec:
- Black
- Auto and Diesel
- R-Design
- Tinted windows (if without, not a deal breaker - can get them tinted)
- Leather faced seats
- Sat nav

Nice to haves would include:
- Winter pack, Family pack, Sunroof

(1) Have found something at the Cambridge dealer - any advice on dealer or this car?
http://www.marshallweb.co.uk/volvo/u...83/volvo-xc60/

(2) Also, I've been reading about new car discounts, dealer contributions, using brokers like Broadspeed and DriveTheDeal. DTD are suggesting they can source me a car to the above spec for £33k - anyone have any experience of this?

Any advice greatfully received.

We haven't tested any other cars in this category, however, from what I have read, the safety ratings and brand itself - fingers-crossed - a good decision.

Cheers
Ryan
Nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:41   #2
Flux
Premier Member

Welcome.

Think as a must you should try the brokers as you mention, plus another one called orangewheels.co.uk. Got mine via one of the discounter's - their quote can be used as a bargaining point with your local dealer if you like the idea of dealing with someone close to where you live. If not just get from whoever gives you the best price. All cars are still made at the same factory so it's not factory outlet stock you're buying.

Makes no sense buying new from your local dealer who won't play ball with the discounts. Let's be honest, if you can buy a £40,000 for £35,000 (maybe less) then you have to accept that the 'discount price' is the actual true price of the vehicle, not the book price as no one in their right mind would pay that.

Also, decide on the spec you want beforehand. If you add bits once ordered, you are unlikely to get any extra discount (as I found out at my peril). And lastly, don't always believe what the dealer tells you.............this forum is littered with instances of bum-steer from misinformed staff - although equally sure there are also some very good ones out there too but it's a bit of a lottery..

Obviously, if buying second hand then you have to take what comes - with no 5 month wait...........

PS. Great car for family with kids - packed full of safety features - family pack makes no sense not having, especially if you've got little ones. And tints for that added bit of security.......

Last edited by Flux; Jun 7th, 2014 at 13:02.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 14:08   #3
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
(1) Have found something at the Cambridge dealer - any advice on dealer or this car?
http://www.marshallweb.co.uk/volvo/u...83/volvo-xc60/
We bought our 63 plate XC60 new through Marshall Volvo, Cambridge.

No complaints - if you do go and look at the vehicle or look to buy it, deal with Rory McCabe over there. He sold us ours and he's a really genuinely helpful chap. He knows I like to keep up to date with info and emails me with information about upcoming models etc.

If you speak to him, tell him that Chris & Louise sent you...!
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 15:32   #4
John Steed

Sunroof adds a lot of light to the interior and benefits rear seat passengers (particularly as it can be a bit gloomy in the back with tinted windows). I would also add front and rear parking sensors; the XC60 feels very big at first, but they will get you in to (and out of!) otherwise impossible parking places.

Are you wedded to R-design? SE Lux is pretty good as well.

Final thought: is your 3000 miles a year likely to be all short journeys? The D5 is thirsty around town, but far more fuel efficient on longer journeys. There is also the DPF to consider; like any diesel, it needs occasional longer runs to regenerate effectively.

Good hunting!
John Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 16:18   #5
AngloScot
Master Member

I bought my car through DTD. No hassle, free delivery (declined as wanted to pick up my new car). Best of all 20% discount. I would also say to check out the SE Lux as it's the most comfortable car I have sat in. Good luck whatever you choose. I love mine.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 17:06   #6
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
This is our minimum spec:
- Black
- Auto and Diesel
- R-Design
- Tinted windows (if without, not a deal breaker - can get them tinted)
- Leather faced seats
- Sat nav
Have just seen the vehicle you are looking at is £27,000

It's almost worth buying new with the discounts available - more economical engines available, and you get 2 extra years warranty plus don't have to worry about taxing it for the first year as included in cost. Plus it's that new car feeling...

FWIW I just had a look on DTD at what a brand new XC60 D4 R Design Lux Nav would cost - £30,063 delivered, OTR.

An R Design Lux Nav D5 AWD Geartronic would be £33,152 delivered, OTR.

A D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic is £29,025 Delivered, OTR

A D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic is £32,114 Delivered, OTR

We used the DTD price as a guide and Marshall's matched it - very happy as was best of both worlds (DTD Price, Local sale)
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 17:42   #7
tickedon
Master Member

I would agree with the others, that given the prices on the used market, I'd really look at a new car. There are good discounts available and you can then spec it how you want.

I would also say winter pack is a must have - even if not for you, for resale in however many years. I simply wouldn't buy a Volvo without heated seats!
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 20:03   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I would seriously question what you are considering if you are only planning to do 3000 miles per year, this is a big diesel unit and it will not perform well being used in Central London as the primary location.

It really needs to be out on the open road, and a lot of open road use - fuel consumption in town is awful and as been mentioned you are going to be at the dealer regularly to get the DPF cleaned, or taking the car for a burn down the M4 every other week just to clean the DPF.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I think it is better to be honest than end up with a disappointed owner.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 20:23   #9
Considered1
Premier Member

I put Driver Support above sunroof. It's not dark in the back in my car. Queue assist would be great in London. Just used the Eco button around town and did make a significant differenc but yes agree with above comments but what else this size would be any better round town (hybrid?) Great spec and DTD price is about right.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 20:35   #10
Crockers
Premier Member

I can't understand anyone buying a diesel for 3000 miles a year. Have you looked at Lexus Hybrids? Not sure but may also be congestion charge free. Much lower RFL no DPF problems. Do you also need a SUV in London??? Would an estate not be a better bet?

But if you're sold on Volvo the do consider the drivers support pack. Comes into it's own in town.