Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

winter wheel sizes!

Views : 1856

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2020, 10:05   #1
rickb2411

Default winter wheel sizes!

hi, I'm looking to get some wheels/winter tyres for the car, I currently have 20" wheels but looking to go smaller for the winter ones. Will any alloy wheel with the 5 x 108 stud pattern fit my car or do I have to stick with genuine Volvo wheels? also can I go down to 16" or just 17"/18"? tyres seem a lot cheaper the small you go.

thanks

Rick.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 11:02   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb2411 View Post
hi, I'm looking to get some wheels/winter tyres for the car, I currently have 20" wheels but looking to go smaller for the winter ones. Will any alloy wheel with the 5 x 108 stud pattern fit my car or do I have to stick with genuine Volvo wheels? also can I go down to 16" or just 17"/18"? tyres seem a lot cheaper the small you go.

thanks

Rick.
My only contribution to this would be, be careful of your rolling radius, the measurement around the whole wheel and tyre now. By using smaller wheels, generally you would fit a larger tyre example if you currently have 235 45 x18, tyres, to fit a smaller wheel you would require a 235 65 x 17 tyre, the 1” lost in the wheel size is made up on the tyre wall. But not doing that you would both alter gearing and Speedo accuracy. If your 5 stud x 108 wheel Also has to have the correct offset and centre bore. There is a bit to think about.
An example of speedo difference on MY12 XC60 is as follows:
I have 235,65x17 tyres, if I reduced them to 235,45x17’s (basically a 1” reduction, at 70 mph (on speedo) I would only be travelling at 61 mph .

Last edited by Deck1ng; Nov 19th, 2020 at 12:14.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 11:05   #3
Richard M Knight

Remember there might be insurance issues when changing to non standard wheels and tyres.
Richard M Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 12:50   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

You don't need to stick with genuine Volvo wheels but as well as the stud pattern you need to understand the centre bore diameter and offset (ET rating).

This might help : www.wheel-size.com

Comments above on rolling radius are valid too.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 14:04   #5
rickb2411

thanks for the replies so far. with the help of google I've looked at the rolling radius of my tyre 255 45 20 =91.2" and a random tyre size of 235 65 17 =91.19" so I should be able to match the rolling radius. and as for the wheels I think id just go for Volvo ones that go on the xc60s to be safe.
just to throw another question in the pot, has anyone got rid of there winter spare set and just opted to put a set of all season tyres on and managed just as well? (I'm only 2wd!) I just thought id ask as I'm probably going to have to replace mine next year anyway.

Rick
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 16:07   #6
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
thanks for the replies so far. with the help of google I've looked at the rolling radius of my tyre 255 45 20 =91.2" and a random tyre size of 235 65 17 =91.19" so I should be able to match the rolling radius. and as for the wheels I think id just go for Volvo ones that go on the xc60s to be safe.
just to throw another question in the pot, has anyone got rid of there winter spare set and just opted to put a set of all season tyres on and managed just as well? (I'm only 2wd!) I just thought id ask as I'm probably going to have to replace mine next year anyway.

Rick
I think a number of members have done just that. I for 1 run Michelin Cross Climates. There was a pole on here somewhere and i believe they came out on top. But there are many makes and prices available.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 19:00   #7
Mick787

I was thinking of going for a set of winter tyres on a set of rims and swapping between summer and winter sets each October/March as I have done for the past 10 years or so with the various cars I've owned.
My thoughts are that seasons don't seem to be as severe as they were a few years ago, so rather than having two sets, I've just gone for a full set of Cross Climates, the wife's car is on Goodyear 4 season. Another consideration is that tyres do have a life expectancy irrespective of wear, so unless you are racking up the miles, having two sets of rubber for one car, may prove to be costly when it comes to having to replace them. From personal experience, selling a set of tyres if you decide to change your car, then you will loose money. Each to their own, but you may save in the long run by going for all season rubber. Whether the performance from an all season tyre is as good as a full winter or summer tyre, I don't know. There is also the issue of storage of a full set of rims with tyres!
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 22:06   #8
Auto Addict

For what it's worth I've decided many years ago now that our British climate doesn't warrant having two set of wheels & tyres so I've been running All Season tyres on both of my cars. Micheline CrossClimate on the Golf R and PIRELLI Scorpion Verde All Season on the XC60 on the OEM 18" alloys with stock tyre size of 235 / 60 R18 (107V) I highly rate either of the two brands for the XC however... the PIRELLI Scorpion is a specific "SUV" tyre (not available for the Golf) whereas the Michelin CCs are available for both the Golf R & the XC60.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3312.jpg (154.6 KB, 8 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 23:37   #9
Roland_F

Quote:

Rick
Another happy Michelin CrossClimate driver here, with 2WD. As a bonus, the ride improved when I switched to them. Bear in mind they are a compromise, but a lot better than regular summer tyres in snow. Wouldn’t recommend though if you like cornering on your door handles in the warmer months.

If you do go the winter route, I’d suggest you stick with the tyre sizes shown inside your filler cap.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 04:52   #10
ridax

Default M

Quote:
You should measure the diameter of the brake disc to make sure it will fit in the smaller wheel. My V60 is equipped with brakes that requires 17" wheels or larger.
ridax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ridax For This Useful Post: