Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DISASTER!!!!! 940 Classic Turbo Estate B230ET Project

Views : 2538

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 17:03   #1
Supraweld
Supraweld

Unhappy DISASTER!!!!! 940 Classic Turbo Estate B230ET Project

Hi all

I have had a miss-hap with my 940 turbo estate project. I changed the original blown B230FT engine for a known good B230ET lump with only 94000 on the clock. I kept the FT injection and engine management system. While doing the change I had quite a few bits to swop from one engine to the other and obviously changed the cam belt and adjuster for new while it was on the bench.

WORD OF WARNING TO EVERYONE:

If you change the cambelt, Remember to tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to the correct torque, immediately after the change. Please dont think "I will do that in a bit" like me, and then forget...... You know where this is going dont you........

I got the engine in, fabricated an external oil cooler etc etc etc and turned the key. "Bit lumpy this" I thought, turned it off and checked for all the usual stuff, ignition timing, air leaks, fueling etc but did not check the bolt. Didnt even think of it.

Went out the next day and took it for a test drive. Went great, fast and smooth, nice boost but still ran lumpy on tick over. Back on the drive I thought I would blow the cobwebs out and gave it some beans.... BANG.. rattle.. rattle.. clonk.. silence.

After alot of swearing and some investigation I found the crankshaft sprocket had broken. So the bottom end had kept turning and the top end stopped dead, at 4500rpm. Fu*k.

Went to volvo doncaster the next day and bought a new sprocket. Fitted it and set the timing back up. Started the car and it rattles bad. I dont know if a rod is broken (I doubt it) or the valves have taken a hammering and to be honest I dont give a damn.

I AM DONE WITH THIS CAR.

I have chucked loads of time
(six weeks) and money (about a grand) at it and today I draw the line.

The car is for sale complete. I dont want to break it. I cant be bothered although I would make quite a bit off it. I think its too good to break. The next owner can decide its fate. I have already replaced the car as I need transport now, not next year. Taking delivery of a
Volvo S80 T6 on wednesday.

Details of car:

Volvo 940 classic 2.3 turbo auto estate 1998,

self leveling suspension,
genuine rear wing,
Full leather,
Electric memory seat,
Remote central locking,
Climate control, - not just air conditioning,
Exterior temperature sensor,
Cruise control,
7 seater, also leather,
Alloys,
Towbar twin electrics,
electric windows,
heated electric mirrors,
Good tyres,
Garrett Turbo with ZERO play/end float,
Reconditioned Gearbox 70k ago, Can prove with receipt,
NEW headlight glass, professionally tinted,
NEW CLEAR front indicators, professionally tinted,
NEW CLEAR rear lights, from germany, professionally tinted. Only set I have ever seen.
ONE OFF GRILL, centre volvo emblem glows blue at night. This modification cannot be bought to my knowledge, It took me a week to achieve the correct effect, and three grills went into its construction.
New rear tailgate struts, not even fitted,
All new service parts, covering only 3ish miles - distributor cap, rotor, plugs, leads, cam belt, adjuster, oil filter, fuel filter, camshaft sprocket, new oil in everything.

This will make a superb individual car for someone with the time and patience to sort out the engine problem.

It will need to be towed away, it most certainly is NOT drivable. It has no mot or tax.

I want this car gone ASAP (to make way for the next flying brick) so the first
£350 takes it. Im a mile away from junction 30 M1. Any questions please ring me on 07913 429614
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (194.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (110.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (248.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (233.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (214.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (259.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (245.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (280.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (206.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (227.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (213.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (186.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (197.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (208.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (209.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (211.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (219.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (227.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (145.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (165.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (185.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (221.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (175.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 24.jpg (313.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 25.jpg (269.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 26.jpg (292.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 27.jpg (192.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 28.jpg (272.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 29.jpg (259.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 30.jpg (290.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 31.jpg (233.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 32.jpg (276.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (242.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (286.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 35.jpg (243.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 36.jpg (254.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 37.jpg (176.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 38.jpg (102.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Supraweld; Sep 26th, 2011 at 17:12.
Supraweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:04   #2
Supraweld
Supraweld

Ok then, not a huge response for this car. Offers are now invited complete or if there is enough interest maybe I will break her.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 13:42   #3
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question slow down

hi,sorry about the engine,you are giveing it away at £350 if i lived close i would take it ,but slow down it will not loose any value sitting there untill someone buys it . its a shame that a good car like this is pointed at scrap it could well last another 10 years just needs an engine ,would you not consider another engine it would make a great winter project even converting it to a diesel,but you have it off road let it sit untill someone decides to get the spanners out , hopefully that someone will be you ,good luck.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 13:49   #4
brodgar
I've Been Banned

beautiful car.

and brave to publicise your disaster
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 17:11   #5
Supraweld
Supraweld

Quote:
Originally Posted by david philips View Post
hi,sorry about the engine,you are giveing it away at £350 if i lived close i would take it ,but slow down it will not loose any value sitting there untill someone buys it . its a shame that a good car like this is pointed at scrap it could well last another 10 years just needs an engine ,would you not consider another engine it would make a great winter project even converting it to a diesel,but you have it off road let it sit untill someone decides to get the spanners out , hopefully that someone will be you ,good luck.
Thankyou for your kind words. I just cant face fixing it myself. Sourcing the parts, yet more spanner work and even more grief from the wife! I feel that I am giving it away really, especially as the lights cost me the asking price. I got them done proffessionally to make sure they were still road legal when finished. Its easy to go too dark with tinting spray. Diesel!!!!!! I dont do diezzzzzzzel. No offence meant!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 17:15   #6
Supraweld
Supraweld

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar View Post
beautiful car.

and brave to publicise your disaster
If it saves one person from doing a similarly stupid thing then it is worth the embarrassment. It wont be many years and these cars and parts for them will be rare. Lets keep as many on the road as possible.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 17:40   #7
Supraweld
Supraweld

Default Sold

Thankyou all for your pm's and phone calls regarding this car. It has now been sold to a nice chap in scotland who has every intention of bringing her back to life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Supraweld For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 20:58   #8
brodgar
I've Been Banned

best solution perhaps

all gone in one go
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 18:34   #9
Chris2592

Well, it finally arrived in sunny Stornoway on Tuesday, after a few ferry cancellations postponed its arrival.

My thanks to Supraweld for agreeing to hold onto the car until it was picked up, I very much appreciated it!!

And I flickin love it!!!
It really is as good as it looks!!!

After I got it home, me and a friend started working on the engine, before deciding to attempt a start
And the result was one hell of a noise, all right!!

Following a couple of days of debate about what has actually happened to it, and following a consultation with one of the local mechanics, the current line of thought is that something seems to be bouncing around inside the bellhousing, so it's going to be opened as the first priority.

I'll have to start a project thread, methinks!!

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris2592 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris2592 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 19:23   #10
244T
VOC Member

Default Fun and Games!!

Well do hope you have some luck with thi car, and as I say once you get it to go you will instantly forget your effort!

Just a quick question, I suppose room on the ferry is at a premium, but how did you lift the car onto the wagon, and hope the goods under the sheet were not damaged!

Best of luck

'90 740 GLT: Standard car
'80 240 DL: Lots of bits and bobs inc turbo intercooler etc etc
244T is offline   Reply With Quote