Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any 460 owners??

Views : 689

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 15:17   #1
On Ya Nelly

Default Any 460 owners??

As the title says!

Ive got a 1.8i gle and its not very good on fuel consumption, I put £10 in and only get about 60 miles, my old 440 would give me 100 miles per £10 I put in, can someone tell me why my 460 is a more thirtsy car? and if there are any tips on how to make it more economical.

Cheers!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 21:51   #2
Apocalypse

I have a 460Xi, the main reason they 'gussel' is because they are fuel injection. Your old 1.8 was not a fuel injection so you get more miles per gallon but a little less push if you know what i mean.

Mine gussels too but you get a nice bit of power thanks to the injection system.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 22:09   #3
Mark480
Loser

You seem to be confused, Apocalypse. There is no mention of the engine in the old car and the 1.8i is fuel injection (The clue is the 1.8*i*) Albeit single point injection.

As for fuel economy, I get roughly 100 miles per £10. That's a 1.8i 440. I'd give give the car a good going over! Treat it to new plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, oil and genuine volvo oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. If you are brave enough give the injection unit a good clean, if not just put some redex in the tank. If you do that yourself which is staight forward enough (bar the injection unit) then it will only cost in the region of £70 and will be a Saturday well spent!

Most likely culprits are Air Filter, Lambda Sensor or Fuel Injection. Another overlooked thing is tyre pressure you want 30 psi at the front with slightly less at the back unless you carry passengers then keep them at 30 psi too.

Hope this helps!
Mark480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 22:37   #4
Apocalypse

No theres no confusion, he has a 1.8i gle i have an 1.8i xi, i pointed out the main reason they consume more petrol. i made an asumption that the 440 he metioned was also a 1.8 as that would be the most probal reason for him comparing it to his gle 1.8i as with regards to fuel consumption, after all he would surley not be comparing them in that respect if their engine sizes differed.

in fact i would say you seem confused as i at no point contested that a 1.8i was infact an injection. After all i do own a 1.8i myself.

Last edited by Apocalypse; Feb 15th, 2006 at 22:39.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 23:28   #5
Jynx

Now now boys, calm down, lets not fall out !!
just thought I'd best let ya know for future reference that the "he" you refer to happens to be a "she"
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 23:56   #6
Mark480
Loser

Sorry, Apocalypse! Reading my original post over I came across as condescending and sarcastic but did not intend to be either, I was however confused!!!

Back on topic - the 2.0i multi point injection seems to be quicker then the 1.8i and more economical. From £40 of fuel in the 2.0i I can get 500 miles and more if I am careful yet with £60 of fuel in the 1.8i I have yet to get over 550 miles! I stand by giving the car a good once over.

On Ya Nelly: Take a look here for all the parts:

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/

A Haynes manual is a big help, but it can often take you the long route round which is where common sense comes in!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 14:24   #7
On Ya Nelly

Wink

Thank you for your replies boys, much appreciated, will get hubby to av a look this weekend.

Just for the record my 440 was a 1.8i glt and as Jynx says Im female! lol
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 14:47   #8
Mark480
Loser

Now is the time to get your hands dirty and get stuck in, On Ya Nelly! Get yourself a Haynes manual and work through the tasks step by step. You feel a hundred times better doing the work on the car yourself then having someone else do it!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 15:19   #9
On Ya Nelly

Hmmmm, I wouldnt have a clue about whats under a car bonnet! lol All I do is drive em! I think its best for all concerned if I leave it to hubby!