Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hard to find

Views : 786

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:08   #1
jack taylor
Master Member

Question hard to find

I am looking for a 1998/9 V 70 TDi auto but there are not many advertised for sale. Auto Trader only have about 5 compared to about 100 petrol. Is this because owners hang on to their cars or, are the TDI`s not as popular as the petrol. I might be able to stretch to a 2000/2002. Can anyone please tell me the years that Volvo made the 163bhp.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:58   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

The P2 V70 163bhp Euro 3 was made from 2000 to 2004 , you had to settle for a manual version only up to sometime in 2002 so there must be some difference between the AW55-50SN gearbox as fitted to the petrol versions since 2000 because clearly there was some reason Volvo couldnt use exactly the same gearbox in the diesel possibly the high torque at low revs , anyway whatever the reason it took them a long time to sort out . The very early P2 V70s had an Audi engine and I think this was 1999 to sometime in 2000 and these are supposed to be very reliable as they are not common rail and the injection system works at a much lower pressure than the D5 common rail system . I have only seen two or three of the Audi engined versions on ebay over the past few years , they are definitely a rare car . I would be interested to know what these sell for on the Costas ? I think the UK is probably the lowest cost country worldwide right now to buy an early V70 D5 in SE specification , in the rest of Europe most of them are basic S specification or lower , and in Germany you see a lot of them to a very basic trim level even fitted with steel wheels as standard and missing a lot of cabin controls which we just take for granted in the UK although one of these may be more suitable as they are all left hand drive .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 19:54   #3
Bill Geldeard
Bill Geldeard

Default Bill Geldeard

Hello Jack

I live in Almeria Spain and bought a 2001 V70 2.5D ( Audi Engine) For 12000.00 euros ln April last year with 143000 kms on the clock.
This car is fitted with all the extras including telephone.
These are great cars with the Audi TDI engine, very economical on fuel and more reliable than later cars fitted with the Volvo common rail engine although these engines give more power.
If you can find one of these at the right price then I can recommend you buy it, but they are not easy to find.

Bill
Bill Geldeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 14:05   #4
BillB
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
The very early P2 V70s had an Audi engine and I think this was 1999 to sometime in 2000
The P2 came out in 2000 and continued to use the Audi Tdi engine from the phase 1 until 2002 (badged 2.5D). In the UK 850 and V70 diesels are badged Tdi up to 1999. I have a P1 year 2000 diesel which is badged 2.5D (Audi engine). To summarise:

96-97 850 Tdi (Audi)
97-99 V70P1 Tdi (Audi)
99-00 V70P1 2.5D (Audi, identical engine to Tdi)
00-02 V70P2 2.5D (Audi)
02 on V70P2 D5 (common rail with later variants)

I think they are fairly rare as not many were made. Maybe a lot of buyers went for the VW Passat and Audi A4/A6 estates with the popular Audi 1.9 Tdi engine instead. Regards.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillB For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 22:43   #5
jack taylor
Master Member

Wink hard to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Geldeard View Post
Hello Jack

I live in Almeria Spain and bought a 2001 V70 2.5D ( Audi Engine) For 12000.00 euros ln April last year with 143000 kms on the clock.
This car is fitted with all the extras including telephone.
These are great cars with the Audi TDI engine, very economical on fuel and more reliable than later cars fitted with the Volvo common rail engine although these engines give more power.
If you can find one of these at the right price then I can recommend you buy it, but they are not easy to find.

Bill
Hi Bill, thanks for that. They are certainly a rare find. I like auto and as you know the Spanish prefer manual so I shall pop over to england and pick one up. Are the D4 and D5 the common rail that you are refering to.I haven`t yet got my head round the many volvo engines. Jack.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 23:28   #6
jack taylor
Master Member

Wink hard to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
The P2 V70 163bhp Euro 3 was made from 2000 to 2004 , you had to settle for a manual version only up to sometime in 2002 so there must be some difference between the AW55-50SN gearbox as fitted to the petrol versions since 2000 because clearly there was some reason Volvo couldnt use exactly the same gearbox in the diesel possibly the high torque at low revs , anyway whatever the reason it took them a long time to sort out . The very early P2 V70s had an Audi engine and I think this was 1999 to sometime in 2000 and these are supposed to be very reliable as they are not common rail and the injection system works at a much lower pressure than the D5 common rail system . I have only seen two or three of the Audi engined versions on ebay over the past few years , they are definitely a rare car . I would be interested to know what these sell for on the Costas ? I think the UK is probably the lowest cost country worldwide right now to buy an early V70 D5 in SE specification , in the rest of Europe most of them are basic S specification or lower , and in Germany you see a lot of them to a very basic trim level even fitted with steel wheels as standard and missing a lot of cabin controls which we just take for granted in the UK although one of these may be more suitable as they are all left hand drive .
Hi Bernard. Thank you for the info. Second hand cars are very expensive in spain although new cars are cheaper than the u.k.I have an 850, GLT 20 valve auto of 1996.This would sell today for about 6,000 euros.I shall buy in u.k and bring it over here. Regards...Jack