Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Too much cold air ?

Views : 754

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2010, 19:30   #1
richie74

Default Too much cold air ?

Hey all.

I took the T5 to get me from Aberdeen down to Leeds to come home for xmas. The temp was down to -7 in some places. All was fine apart from two things.

1. I noticed that the engine temp guage as soon as i was out of town traffic i.e. on the dual carriageways/motorways dropped down to near the bottom.

2. Screen washers froze solid. Again when i was in town traffic, they would thaw out almost instantly.

It sounds to me as if too much cold air is getting into the engine bay. I doubt its the thermostat because it only does this on very cold motorway journeys. Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone tried to restrict the airflow into the engine.

Any ideas?
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 20:32   #2
DSK
C70 T5

I do a lot of motorway miles every week and I have had no issues in the colder weather. I also do not believe that restricting air flow into the car is a sensible idea. Fwiw, my screen wash concentrate is 50/50 (screen wash with antifreeze/water). No had any issues with my washers.

The temperature gauge could be the coolant temp sensor near the thermostat if you are certain the thermostat is OK and the system has no air locks.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 20:39   #3
storming

Default thermostat

The thermostat should reach half or just under and stay there!
The thermostat is not working as it should be, time to change it !
storming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to storming For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 08:42   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Yup, that's a bu@@ered thermostat you've got there.

Windscreen washers freeze in cold weather. The only real option is a very concentrated washer solution.

Welcome to winter!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 09:49   #5
scapa
I've Been Banned

The fact its -7 is not the problem , Problem is as said a faulty T/stat, the engine should get up to normal temp no matter if its -7 or -27, thats what the stat is there for.

As for the freezing washers, easy fix ,buy some decent screenwash, ECP sell a decent one that protects down to -60, so if you mix it 3 to 1 you will be fine
scapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 15:23   #6
richie74

Thanks all. Will throw a thermostat in after xmas. It looks straight forward enough (famous last words)
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 09:26   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

It is easy - you just need to go about it the right way.

The day before you do the job douse the two Torx bolts on the thermostat housing with WD40.

Make sure you've got the right Torx 40 head and a decent ratchet, the new thermostat and seal, and some Volvo anti-freeze.

Set the heater controls to the hottest setting.

Wedge some rags around the thermostat housing to catch the bolts should you drop either of them!

Do the job with the engine cold - don't worry draining coolant - you'll lose a bit when you undo the thermostat housing, but not very much.

Get a good quality replacement thermostat - they are not expensive. Make sure that you get and fit a new sealing ring. This isn't as gasket as such, but a rubber ring that you fit around the thermostat itself.

Line it all up, drop the new 'stat in, re-fit the bolts, refill the expansion bottle with Volvo antifreeze / water mix (you won't need very much).

Start the engine, check for leaks, then take the car for a run to make sure everything is working properly. The temp gauge should get to the '3 o'clock' position and stay there. My guess is you'll be amazed at how much warmer the heater gets!

Good luck

Jack

PS: A look at Haynes will be very helpful, and although you're only doing a part of what's described here http://volvospeed.com/Repair/thermect.php it too is helpful.

Last edited by capt jack; Dec 28th, 2010 at 09:33. Reason: Extra info
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: