Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Phase 1 OR Phase 2 ?

Views : 937

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:27   #1
960kg
Premier Member

Default Phase 1 OR Phase 2 ?

........i have been reading about our model cars....there were major facelift improvements in May 2000 and a further facelift in April 2002 with new grille etc.,..........but what do you all call Phase 1 and then Phase 2 ?..........

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:12   #2
pringle_addict

My understanding is that Phase 1 is pre 2000(ish) facelift
Defining Phase 1 features are single bulb headlights with 'frosted glass', as well as interior changes and suspension/track changes.
The post 2000 (ish) Phase 2 had the twin headlight arrangement plus some tweaks around the running lights, interior and rear lights.

The 2002/3 facelift as far as i know was the grille only - moving from the chrome 'waterfall' grille to the black 'egg-crate' grille.

Hope this helps, but Im sure others will add/correct if Im wrong.

'02 V40 1.8S - traded in
'10 V50 2.0D R-Design
pringle_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:35   #3
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pringle_addict View Post
My understanding is that Phase 1 is pre 2000(ish) facelift
Defining Phase 1 features are single bulb headlights with 'frosted glass', as well as interior changes and suspension/track changes.
The post 2000 (ish) Phase 2 had the twin headlight arrangement plus some tweaks around the running lights, interior and rear lights.

The 2002/3 facelift as far as i know was the grille only - moving from the chrome 'waterfall' grille to the black 'egg-crate' grille.

Hope this helps, but Im sure others will add/correct if Im wrong.
Thats pretty much it except the twin headlights were standard on phase1 T4s and an option on all other phase 1 models. The easiest way to tell the diference between phase 1 and phase 2 cars is the side marker lights, the phase 1 cars have small side markers in the bumpers and phase 2 bigger ones. As above the phase 2 cars came with alot of suspension improvements to make the ride less crashy and more comfortable and the interior was given a facelift at the same time.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dandle For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 17:06   #4
belle
I've Been Banned

Some have called the inbetween stage a Phase 1.5.

Apart from the side repeaters the bumper strips are different too. On the Phase 1 the black bumper strip goes all the way along (behind the reg plate) on a Phase 2 the strip stops before each side of the number plate.

Dont think the headlights are a good way of figuring out which Phase it is as mine has the new style headlights but is really a Phase 1 (but has some Phase 2 additions so its a Phase 1.5)

Hope this helps
belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 18:24   #5
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Copy of my post from VPC thread on S40 LINKY!!!!!! - the P3 was 2003 and was the chrome bits/grill etc

Quote:
Mrs Cookie has a proper P2 V40 on a W plate, its a 2001 model, (the P1.5 was mainly external changes (projector headlights etc)

quick piccy showing P1 Vs P2 (1.5 looks more like a P2 on outside but will look like a P1 inside)

I have also recieved the following information

Quote:
Phase 2 cars rolled on to the production line on 1st August 2000 straight after the summer break at the Nedcar factory in Born. So some of the very early Phase 2 cars were registered on a "W" plate prior to 1st Sept 2000, which is when the "X" plates came out. The owner has, however, fitted some Phase 3 parts onto the car, e.g. the front valence, the double headlamps with chrome surrounds, clear side marker lamps and bonnet grille etc to make it look like a Phase 3 (2003 model year) car, but forgot to colour code the door handle surrounds and fit chrome door handles and the chrome trunk release catch which were standard on Phase 3 cars
P2 had AFAIK improved suspension/slightly Longer wheel base/ improved seats as well as major interior facelift - although at first glance they look similar - they are chalk and cheese in feel and driveability, once you have driven a proper P2, a P1 feels really 'old and stodgy' in comparison. Auto also got adaptive 5 speed gearbox - instead of standard 4 speed box

Last edited by cookie; Jul 8th, 2009 at 18:32.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 18:33   #6
Dandle
Master Member

The pics are right but the info is wrong. There is no phase 3 X40 and the phase 1.5 cars are mainly a phase 1 car although some of the suspension is slightly different to earlier phase 1 but not the same as phase 2 either. The phase 1.5 car has the same exterior and interior as the phase 1 but he electrical system is pretty much the same as the phase 2 car. The T4 phase 1.5 has the earlier engine block but with a different oil cooling system internally, the head is slightly different and the turbo is a twin scroll unit which was also fitted to phase 2 T4s.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote