Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange Central Locking Problem

Views : 960

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2018, 14:58   #1
John Brennand
Master Member

Default Strange Central Locking Problem

2006 XC90 2.5T. Came to it this morning and the central locking didnt open on the fob press. Used the key went out came back and checked the fuse in the rear compartment - that is fine. Must be the battery in the fob I thought. Changed that and still no good.
However, I have just noticed that if I hold the key fob close to the door windows - it does work! If I back away a few yards, still nothing. I have a spare key/fob and that behaves exactly the same.

Anyone any ideas what may be going on and what to try next ?
John Brennand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 15:07   #2
Premier Member

Is there anything around the car that could be causing electrical interference, such as a radio mast or junction box?
I came across this problem a few years ago when a hospital near where my brother in law parked put some communication masts up on the roof and there was that much radio “noise” that it was blocking out the signal from people’s remote fobs.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 15:52   #3
John Brennand
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
Is there anything around the car that could be causing electrical interference, such as a radio mast or junction box?.
Very unlikely today - car is parked outside my house where it has been parked for the last 18 months with no issues.

I also know that the alarm/siren are ok too - as when I opened the door with the key, it went off until I started the car.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 16:20   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Your symptoms are that the range of the key fob is suddenly greatly reduced.

This is generally some form of local radio interference, which can be confirmed by driving to another location and trying again there, or eliminating anything in the car which may interfere with the remote keyfob.

I have exactly this problem in my car, but I know exactly what the source of the radio interference is - it is my garage door opener, which I have wired to my driver's spotlight switch.
Turn on spotlight, garage door opens. It's great.

But when the garage door opener is running (spotlight is on), my keyfob remote control range is severely limited to just 1m from the receiver, instead of around 20m to 100m.
And the inability to lock the car helps to remind me that I forgot to turn off the garage door opener...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 22:38   #5
John Brennand
Master Member

Thanks chaps. Came out this evening - still didn't work - did the x3 lock/unlock thing. Drove 250 yds down the road and tried again - and hey presto it worked again. Went back home - didn't work. So looks like your diagnosis is accurate !

As it worked down the road I expect there is nothing in the car causing the problem - but due to exterior interference. Is there any way to track down the source? Would doing a wifi analysis on an app help? What frequency does the fob broadcast on? Likely sources (house alarms? other cars? wifi networks?)?

I have changed nothing in the last 24h that is impacting on the radio frequency background in my area ?

Any suggestions welcome.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 00:22   #6
John Brennand
Master Member

[QUOTE=
I have changed nothing in the last 24h that is impacting on the radio frequency background in my area ?

Any suggestions welcome.[/QUOTE]

BTW - where is the receiver for the fob signal actually located on the XC90 - might help with some signal troubleshooting
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 00:45   #7
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Hi John

Is an annoying problem to be sure....

Dont know if this will help but it may be a good idea to have a look at the wi-fi traffic up and down your road .

There is an excellent app for this on Play store called "WI-FI ANALYZER CLASSIC" by Farproc (4.3 rating)

I have tried an awful lot of these over the years but have found this to be the easiest and most informative (discretely)to use.

It will monitor changes to wi-fi traffic up and down your street and may help you discover if somebody has just upgraded their router for instance or signal strength has changed.

Does it happen all the time or just certain times off day?

Hope this helps
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 02:08   #8
John Brennand
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
Hi John

There is an excellent app for this on Play store called "WI-FI ANALYZER CLASSIC" by Farproc (4.3 rating)

Hope this helps
Is "Play Store" an Android thing? I only use iPhones and there is no App of that name on the App store.

Cheers
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 08:46   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brennand View Post
BTW - where is the receiver for the fob signal actually located on the XC90 - might help with some signal troubleshooting
In the interior rear view mirror.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 08:53   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brennand View Post
As it worked down the road I expect there is nothing in the car causing the problem - but due to exterior interference. Is there any way to track down the source?
Yes, use a spectrum analyser.

The remotes operate in the ISM frequency ranges (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band), but the receiver can be susceptible to other frequencies. A lot of remotes operate at 433 MHz.

You need a spectrum analyser to scan a frequency band from around 50 MHz to 1 GHz

Something like this:
https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/pro...iew_63665.html

The source of interference can be from anywhere local to your house, most likely within around 1 to 5 houses distance.

You can narrow down the area by testing with your car, and making notes on a paper map as to which locations on your street the remote works in, and where it does not.

This will give you valuable information as to where the source of interference is likely to come from

As a first tip, turn off the power to your entire house and see if anything changes. If it changes, something in your house is interfering.

If not. start knocking on neighbours doors and ask if they added any new wireless equipment recently (use the timeframe of when the problem occured)