Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

flush or no flush

Views : 957

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 16:53   #1
lizardking

Default flush or no flush

I have no idea of the amount of time the fluids have been in my car so hopefully I will be changing them all this weekend,
Would it be wise to use an engine flush such as forte when changing the oil or is it best to leave alone?
My engine is a b18 which has reputedly covered 76000 miles in it's life although this could obviously be a lot more,
on more modern vehicles I have always flushed as a matter of course but after searching through threads on oils the general concensus seems to be stay away from modern high detergent oils, would this be the same for engine flushes?
Are there any recommended additives for the oil or is it just a case of good quality oil will yield good results?
Any tips on cleaning out the breather system whilst I am at it?
sorry for the list of questions but I want to do the right thing
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 17:18   #2
lizardking

No replies so I didn't flush it just did the oil and filter
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 19:57   #3
1966 122s

I am new to Amazons (not an expert) but there is a previous thread titled "lumpy running" and other older threads discussing oil. Having read these I am going to use a good classic oil and not use a flush. I tend to use Duckhams Q 20 / 50 classic. I spoke to Castrol / Duckhams for advice and they argued against additives...."too much zinc can cause pitting of parts such as cams".... This could be rubbish and better advice would be from someone who has had Amazons longer.

More than 10 years ago I heard that it was important to use volvo rather than copy oil filters on amazons. I was told this was something to do with a valve effect within the genuine volvo filter. This could be absolute rubbish, but my post might trigger a comment by someone who knows about filters.

Graham

Last edited by 1966 122s; Jan 11th, 2009 at 20:03.
1966 122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 21:56   #4
Geordie C30
C30 rules O.K.

It's very important to use genuine Volvo oil filters on all Volvos as the filter has a pressure valve which prevents the oil from draining down into the sump. This ensures that when you restart the engine the oil pressure builds up rapidly to minimise wear. Instead of using an engine flush run the car for 100 miles or so on a cheap oil and then change the oil and filter again and use a quality oil. Magnetic drain plugs are also a cheap and worthwhile buy.
Geordie C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 23:20   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

The anti-drain back or one way valve in the oil filter is by no means unique to Volvo filters and I would be very surprised if you managed to buy any oil filter in the UK that did not have this valve.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:56   #6
jimbo1593
Master Member

Default agree with andrew

I always use Mann filters.
I have flushed in the past and found it worthwhile.
Tend to use duckhams classics and when it loses its green tinge after only a few hundred miles I suspect that the engine needs a flush. Last time i did this i got a lot of gunk out and had no problems since...and the oil stays the right colour for longer.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 11:54   #7
1966 122s

I've been under the impression that the green colour in Duckhams is just a colourant that changes as soon as the oil gets hot for first time. Surprised it lasts a few hundred miles. If you buy 25 litre barrels of the same Duckhams oil there is no green colourant, so I assumed it was cosmetic just to keep sales with the general public while not present in the 25 litre barrels used by garages.

Graham
1966 122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 18:51   #8
johnjp
Master Member

When I owned my first Amazon back in the late `70`s the recommended oil was Duckhams Q.
Found this too:http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Last edited by johnjp; Jan 12th, 2009 at 18:59.
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnjp For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 19:36   #9
lizardking

Thanks all for the info, now I'm gonna open up a new can of worms and ask you guys what oil would be best in my b18?
as I've chucked cheapy supermarket stuff in for now for 100 miles or so,till I change it again thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 16:23   #10
johnjp
Master Member

Duckhams also do a `classic` oil which is cheaper than Castrol Classic.
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote