Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1990 (facelift)740GL B200E fuel pump problems

Views : 1122

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 15:40   #1
Silver Shoebox

Default 1990 (facelift)740GL B200E fuel pump problems

Hi folks,

I bought a silver 740 2-litre estate in March after driving my friends old 240, and I love it to bits even though it costs me a fortune to run! Could anyone please help me with any of the following?

The fuel pump makes a very loud 'electric' buzzing sound that is constant from switch on to switch off. The fuel guage doesn't work either. I have been told that on 740s the pump often 'go noisy' but there is nothing wrong with it really. this sounds like rubbish to me, what do you think? Any suggestions as to why the guage doesn't work? Are they connected?

Also, when parking and manoevuring at near idle speed the engine often stalls. I find this is more pronounced when the steering is used on full or nearly full lock. Is this due to the power steering?

Lastly, does anyone know of a non-franchise garage in the Peterborough area that is good with 740s?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me, much appreciated

Regards, Sam
Old Sep 17th, 2002, 19:10   #2
Dave M

Default RE: 1990 (facelift)740GL B200E fuel pump prob

Hi Sam,

I own a 760GLE Estate that's fuel injected so there is a similarity. So here goes...

"The pump makes a very loud "Electric" buzzing..."

This is NOT a good sign and is in fact a tell tale sign that the pump is on it's way out :-( although you think the pump is working fine, if you actually check it's delivery against a new pump you will find that it's starting to fall short on it's delivery hence the "Loud Buzzing" this is caused by the pump getting clogged in "Crud" from the fuel.The sound that should be heard is a small "Hiss" and no "Buzz".

"Also When parking..."

It sounds as though you already have an idle problem particularly when cold i.e there is no Cold start, that is the revs should rise to around 1500rpm then descend as the engine warms. I think the problem may be to do with your Idle Control valve that's not operating correctly therfore when parking it's not increasing the Idle to accommodate the extra power consumed during slow manoeuvres. (I think, as I'm not familiar with the 2litre engine)This also occurs when warm.

Hope this gives some direction on where to look...

Regards
Dave M
Old Sep 17th, 2002, 21:46   #3
Silver Shoebox

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for that, a great help. I get the impression that fuel pumps are costly to replace... oh well!

Regards
Sam
Old Sep 18th, 2002, 00:15   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

The very loud sound from the main pump is usually indicative of the in-tank pump failing. As you have a problem with the fuel gauge it would be worth your while withdrawing the pump and gauge sender from the fuel tank for a check and also check that the wiring has not become detached somewhere along it's routing. Make sure that the earth lead for the tank pump is securely fastened in the right place.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote