Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stromberg Carbs

Views : 1225

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2016, 11:56   #1
elgibo

Default Stromberg Carbs

Hello All,

Looking for some advice.....

After umming and ahhing about buying 240 ever since I learned to drive - I have finally joined the club!

Ended up buying a 245DL to add to my 850R and C30 T5. My friends think I'm mad. However, I thought this would be a good "classic" to ease me into older cars and their general maintenance.

Among some of the jobs I want to tackle, one of them is doing a carb rebuild. The car has the b21a with a Stromberg 175 CDSU carb. After doing some research, I'm a little bit stumped as to where to find rebuild kits for this particular carb. My first stop being Burlen Ltd, but they have everything under the sun but not that particular version.

Would it be a better idea to source a CD2SE which Burlen stocks parts for (think that's the Stromberg listed in the original owners manual alongside others) or a more common Stromberg 175CD?
Or would some of the parts from a basic CD rebuild kit would be interchangeable with the CDSU?

Is there a particular carb that is the go to for all?

You'll have to forgive me for lack of knowledge, I have zero experience with carb'd engines.

Cheers,
Dave.
elgibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 12:12   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi Dave welcome to 240 ownership.

I think you have made a boob with what your carb is. Your carb is most likely a 175CD2 there is no such carb as an S that I am aware of.

Burlen wll have the parts you need
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 12:31   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

might be worth putting up a couple of photos to confirm carb type
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 12:42   #4
elgibo

That's the only pic I have to hand, can take more later if needed tho.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 15:30   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Stromberg or Pierburg?

It is probably a Pierburg 175CDSU that you've got, with a difficult to source needle and temperature-controlled jet assembly. I've got one with a good, low-mileage assembly somewhere if you're struggling and want to keep the Pierburg.

The best approach is to replace it with a Stromberg CD175 - the earlier model the better for owner-tuning - and use the Pierburg as a paperweight.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 16:46   #6
elgibo

Interesting. I had come across the Pierburg 175 CDSU in my search on the Burlen website, but it didn't have any images to confirm any similarities.

Did Stromberg produce this one under license then?

Certainly the Stromberg CD175 seems to be a lot more common and easier to source parts for though.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 17:48   #7
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The Pierburg looks like a Stromberg, but has an almost flat top to it rather than the raised SU-like dome. The principle is the same as SUs and Strombergs, with a constant depression, rather than a stack of emulsion tubes and jets like Webers and Solex devices.

The Pierburg uses ATF as its damping medium, but it can be a real PITN to keep in tune. There are parts available for it, but a quick trawl through Google only turned up a gasket set and a float; the needle and jet assembly do not appear to be available.

The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 20:59   #8
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Default Stromberg

Hi I've got a b21a engine and the pierberg carb had all sorts of issues including not holding oil in the dashpot due to a missing washer, and raw fuel leaking out of the carb due to decayed gasket. Luckily I like rover v8 engines and I just straight swopped a spare Stromberg over - on my car they were identical.
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geoffo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 21:19   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

http://zenithcarb.co.uk/carburettor-...ons-19786.html

This might be what you need if you are going to keep the Pierburg

The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 21:44   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Gower and Lee do parts for these carbs , very knowledgable people , There are a lot of bits and pieces you need for the Pierburg/Stromberg , they do need attention now and again . Spindles never wear on volvos though .