Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cup holders = WHY

Views : 915

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2018, 21:56   #1
andy_d
Premier Member

Default Cup holders = WHY

ok this new to me V50 is still giving me "W.T.F." things

its got Cup holders,
Right by the Gear stick/handbrake and 12v skt /DTSC button,, Lots of Nice trim edges and the like for Spilt liquid to go into

id cleaned out the cup holder insert when i got it,, it was a bit sticky,, and noticed the trim edges + joins around it /the 12v skt etc were mucky so put it on the list of "to see to inabits"

well inabits for that happened today
trim tools deployed, bits of trim coming off all over and ,,
[IMG][/IMG]

Fair play to Volvo for designing in a "drip tray",, and - 1000000 points for fitting cup holders in the first place
- more points as the Cup holders are placed as said so liquid spill go into/onto the 12v skt, the DTSC button , down the trim joins and onto the SRS modules and others Below the trim

a/ disgusted at the last owner (yet again) at the condition of the car inside, (hiding dried in baby sick with floor mats,,the load area,, we Wont go there but its been stripped out , stream cleaned the lot , carpeting washed + Steamed,, )
b/ bloody annoyed volvo fitted cup holders to start with

a GOOD clearing out with anti bacterial wipes, scraping all the trim edges etc and a final going over with I2 Tri-Clean and the results are

the cup holder insert was As bad on the under side, thats had the same and is now the colour it Should be , i May put it back in or enjoy Not having cup holders and a useful size console pocket,,

cant say enough good things about I2-tri clean, it Cleans pretty much all trim /carpets etc and coped with that ,,,, with ease
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 22:03   #2
canis
Non Fragile

I can't stand cup-holders! Once in a blue moon they'll be useful, the rest of the time they're just annoying. Badly shaped wastes of space practically unusable for any other purpose other than cups.

I suppose today's snowflakes you see walking around guzzling from plastic bottles in case they dehydrate in the next hour or two and maintaining perpetual refreshment, they might have use for them. God forbid they had to go without a drink for an hour or so!
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 22:10   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

same here, i drove for years for work, (pre cupholder days!) and Never needed one,
clocking 150k miles a year for years

for a car with the IQS system,, a gunge trap to collect the muppets drinks in that they dont know about or can get to ,, What ? the ? F ? travelling bacteria farm.

this and the other bits ive found (and wished i hadnt looked) are going to result in the car being take to bits to be Cleaned properly,, seats/carpets out level of "to bits",,i shudder to think what else i will find,,

fugging cup holders,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 23:12   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

My V70 has(had) some immediately by the gear lever under the sliding cover, as it happens its an insert which can be removed to reveal a lined storage bin. All well and good, but if you were to put a beverage in them, youd have to change gear with elbow at 12:00 and hand at 6:00, who designed that was either an idiot or mutant...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 23:48   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

who ever thought a Cup holder in a car = good idea is the Idiot !

"lets put a thing to hold Cups of liquids, in a car"
cars Move,, liquids then slosh in the container,, and ,,see the 1st picture
"oh i know lets put them Above expensive electronic modules" ,, retard reaches new levels of "DOH"

my old S40 (phase 2) had a nice compartment where the "cup holders" are ,with a blind to slide over the compartment
Nothing to get in the way of gear stick, handbrake, no risk of liquids going where you Dont want them going, as it was a cubby hole With a cover so you could Put things in there and Not leave them on display for the scrotes to smash + grab,,
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 03:52   #6
Sysyphus

Well I do have to say that I am wrapping up plans and preparations ready to embark on my 4th 2,000+ mile road trip in my C70 next weekend and I would be totally lost without the cup holder.

A reasonable sized travel mug with spill resistant lid sits there and doesn’t interfere with my few operations of the gear shift (mine’s an auto), although I did have to veto my wife’s liter size water bottle on our Florida trip last spring.

My last trip back to England, last year, was 1,000 miles in a week : Heathrow>Manchester>Alton Towers>Manchester>Norwich>Southend>Norwich>Southen d>Heathrow. Wrong side of the road, no problem... biggest adaptation, apart from remembering to get in the wrong side of the car, was dealing with the cup holder on the wrong side.

Did a bit of a clean out my under-holder void last year when I put the Bluepower unit in, but examination and experience suggests that the 12v socket and roof switch in the danger zone are quite resistant to coffee.

Last edited by Sysyphus; Aug 6th, 2018 at 03:58.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 09:33   #7
Resonance

wow. that pic is gross! But some excellent cleaning work done to get it nice and shiny. Might go out and get that I2 tri clean.
Resonance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resonance For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 09:56   #8
Welton
Premier Member

I've never eaten or drank anything in my Volvo, using your car as a mobile Cafe is where bacteria starts breeding. I occasionally spritz the carpeting with odour eliminator after vacuuming but other than that I don't use air fresheners, or need to.

lol at the 'snowflakes' comment about staying hydrated, perhaps a 'portaloo' on every street corner will follow soon.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 14:49   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
wow. that pic is gross! But some excellent cleaning work done to get it nice and shiny. Might go out and get that I2 tri clean.
as said i can not recomend it highly enough
so far its delt with the "under teh cup holders" with ease
the boot carpeting which had marks, the carpets in the car which had marks,
and with C6 Matte Dash AB has delt with the dashboard, its clean and now Not as reflective into the screen as it was,
mine has full leather trim so pretty much everything has had a seeing to with it, including the leather seats/door cards ,, (the leather also got a dedicated leather cleaner ,as they needed it ,, )
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 16:10   #10
Tear101

Ive just got a C30 and the first time my lad got in it he put a bottle in the cup holder and then i could not change gear! its completely in of the gear stick. took it out and there's a nice big storage compartment underneath.
Tear101 is offline   Reply With Quote