Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 V50 2.4i - New to me - Early improvements

Views : 2723

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2015, 19:34   #1
Jimcv50

Default 2005 V50 2.4i - New to me - Early improvements

Hi guys,

Just last weekend I bought a 2005 V50 2.4i Sport. Its a bit rough around the edges and has done 120k but has a full service history and all the right paperwork so i thought why not! Picked it up for £2750.

So far so good, coming from a clapped out old fiesta i am absolutely loving the comfort, speed and smoothness of this car.

Im wanting to know more about what kind of early improvements i can make to make the car look a little more presentable and smart. Heres a list of things im wanting to explore.

- I have been wondering about replacing a few of the interior lights with LEDs? It would be easy to do but i just dont know which led's to buy.

- I would also like to change the number plate bulbs with LED's too as it does look far better IMO. Has anyone got any idea which LED's ill be needing to order which would fit? Also possibility of fitting LED's instead of the poor sepia-like sidelight bulbs that the car currently has

- Im also wondering about fitting an HID kit to increase the power of the dipped beams. Im not after those horrible bright blue things you see on kids cars these days. Just some refined nice brilliant white 'xenon' looking bulbs. Anyone have any idea about which kit I should consider?

- And lastly im looking to fit a different front grille, as the current standard chrome grille looks just a little dated and dull. Im keen to try a newer S40 grille with the black horizontal slats, chrome surround and chrome volvo '/' through the centre. With regards to this, all I really need to know is compatibility issues i might have. Below are some photos of my car so you guys can basically let me know what grilles would be compatible and what ones wouldnt.

Heres some photos, please bear in mind she's new to me but does need some love. The wheels, although great looking, are in a real bad way so they'll be getting a refurb at some point soon. Im also missing an offside wing mirror indicator which is in the post at the moment.

Any help or advice for some early mods i can do to make her look a little more fresh and smart would be greatly appreciated!

Also, Happy New Year all!

Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141222_152052.jpg (296.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150101_154855.jpg (223.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150101_154841.jpg (250.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150101_154830.jpg (290.7 KB, 38 views)
Jimcv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:37   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

As far as I'm concerned the Grill upgrade is a must. However, they're like hens teeth, I ended up buying a new one from the dealer. It's looks great though.

If you decide to go down the dealer route, you'll be requiring the one off the American spec model.

TT
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 13:13   #3
iainmd

I have the grille you're after in good condition boxed at home. I replaced mine with a badgeless grille so if you require the egg crate grille I may be able to help there. Any S40 grille 2004-2007 will do you. The chrome waterfall grille was only fitted to the V50.

I'm away from home until Saturday evening but can post a picture for you then if you like?

In terms of number plate LEDs mine are the following linky
They work fine and have done for the last 3yrs.

In terms of aftermarket hids I'm not a fan and believe them to be on the wrong side of the law but I do understand that the OEM headlamps are poor and the reflectors tarnish over time. Buying hids and fitting them to tarnished projector lamps might be a false economy. I started out with better bulbs (Osram Night breaker Plus) and then replaced both lamp units with TYC ones from euro cars parts for about £220. The lights are now grand and still halogen.

Hope that helps.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 13:23.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 13:19   #4
steV50

An S40 grille for a 2004.5 to 2007 model year car should fit. The facelift cars from 2008 model year on have a slightly different shape grille which will not fit.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 14:55   #5
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
I have the grille you're after in good condition boxed at home. I replaced mine with a badgeless grille so if you require the egg crate grille I may be able to help there. Any S40 grille 2004-2007 will do you. The chrome waterfall grille was only fitted to the V50.

I'm away from home until Saturday evening but can post a picture for you then if you like?

In terms of number plate LEDs mine are the following linky
They work fine and have done for the last 3yrs.

In terms of aftermarket hids I'm not a fan and believe them to be on the wrong side of the law but I do understand that the OEM headlamps are poor and the reflectors tarnish over time. Buying hids and fitting them to tarnished projector lamps might be a false economy. I started out with better bulbs (Osram Night breaker Plus) and then replaced both lamp units with TYC ones from euro cars parts for about £220. The lights are now grand and still halogen.

Hope that helps.
Where was you when I wanted a grill 😄😄😄😄😄😄

TT
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 16:06   #6
Jimcv50

Iainmd, If you post up a photo of that grille it would be ideal, Cheers! Is it the same Grille 'The Thong' posted a photo of?

Thanks for the link with the number plate LED's, ill get them ordered ASAP.

With regards to the tarnished projectors. I saw a thread somewhere where a guy was restoring his light units and cleaned up the projectors so they looked good as new again. Is it just a case of removing them and buffing them back up with a cloth or does it require a fair bit more work?

Oh, before I forget. Another question i have is regarding tyre size. Mine need replacing soon so ill be looking for some 215/45/18's. However, i had heard that some people comfortably run 225's instead. Is there really an advantage/disadvantage to doing this or am i better off sticking to the normal 215's?

Thanks for the advice guys. Im so damn keen to get my V50 looking great ASAP!

Last edited by Jimcv50; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 16:19.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 16:19   #7
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

That guy was probably me haha, yep it is easy enough to clean the projector lenses out but if the shiny finish inside them is worn then it's a bit more complex. My issue was more dull and yellow lenses which scattered the light everywhere rather than worn projectors but it is worthwhile to strip the lights down and do it, you only need basic tools and it doesn't take long.

Love the car btw, same colour as mine, Flint Grey iirc I would deffo get that grill sorted, the V50 looks ancient with it on compared to my S40 which looks modern even though it would wear an 04 plate if it weren't for my p/plate.

HID wise, there are pro's and con's and the legal side does state they shouldn't be used without refitting the washers and self levellers but I have a set in the S40, just swapped out the old 6000k 35w bulbs for H7R 4300k 35w bulbs which are a bit shorter than H7 bulbs and have bits of paint on them to reduce glare to other road users. I had HID's in my old 407 too and they are cracking things, not one person has flashed their lights at me in the 14 months I've driven cars with retrofitted HID's. I didn't want to fit them in previous cars but 407's have bad lights too and I tried better halogens before I gave in to HID's and they were worth it so I chucked a set into the S40 and I have no regrets, I can actually see!!!! Following all the work on the lights and new bulbs and adjusting them up a bit I now have the headlights I should have had when I bought the car

My next upgrade is also LED number plate lights and a full LED interior light conversion along with a change of wheel colour to dark grey

Also sorry for the thread hijack op, but TT, are those facelift mirrors on your car? Did you fit them and if so, is it a straight swap? I have tiny little ones on the S40 which I can't see out of but the C30 has those mirrors which are much better. Wouldn't mind adding a set of those to the upgrade list!
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 16:29   #8
Jimcv50

Sean94. Cheers for the prompt reply!

Regarding the grille you have, which one do you have precisely? Yeah the stock v50 one i have looks terrible and pretty dated. Im guessing its pretty easy to fit the new grille aye? Just a few clips and stuff like that?

Regarding the HID's, im quite happy with the lights at the moment to be honest. But i was just wondering about improving the look of them really, from an aesthetics kind of view. I think ill try cleaning the projectors and fitting some better halogen bulbs first before trying anything else.

Have you changed your sidelights to LED's? This is something i would like to explore also cause the standard sidelights look terrible in comparison to the rest of the lights.

Glad you like the car! Im chuffed with it
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 16:43   #9
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

This one

No I haven't changed the sidelights yet but it is easy to do, once you pull the big tab up to remove the light and connector, take the rear panel off and remove the dipped beam bulb to make access easier, locate the sidelight under the main beam bulb and simply pull out, refit the new bulb and push back in.

I've done it in past cars, just need to get my ass in gear and sort the S40 out haha. If you want a better looking bulb, might I suggest trying Osram Cool Blue Intense halogen bulbs? They are 4200k so nearly the colour of my HID's, it's what I used before fitting HID's in my previous cars. They look really good tbh. I'll try dig out a pic of them on my old 307 so you can see
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 16:48   #10
Jimcv50

Cheers Sean. Any idea which LED's ill be needing for the sidelights? Im not very clued up when it comes to knowing sizes and fittings etc.

Regarding the Osram cool blue intense halogen bulbs. Are they noticeably blue? Cause im really after the perfect white look, like xenons.