Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Sat Nav system

Views : 844

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 17:23   #1
migrator
Aye - him again

Default Volvo Sat Nav system

I have a Volvo sat nav system in my 2005 S80. There is no disc available with the car. To use the system I will need to obtain the required discs. As the car is MY2005, am I restricted to just the discs from that year or can I buy more recent discs (as seen on eBay for example)?

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 17:52   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Depends on which satnav is fitted -at 2005 it could be one of a couple, hopefully MMM which means you can just the disc for that system - they started getting really awkward from 2011 when you needed codes to copy the data onto the hard drive to make it work.

Do you have a dvd reader in the boot for the satnav? If you do then I suggest the MMM disc should work, cost around £30.

http://www.oemdvd.co.uk/2016-volvo-r...pdate-77-p.asp
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 22:13   #3
migrator
Aye - him again

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, there is a disc drive in the boot I will check through the user handbook tomorrow to see if there is any system description present.

VOC 11817
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 23:19   #4
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Just use your phone ...Far better nav apps available than the clunky old volvo system!
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 09:31   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
I have a Volvo sat nav system in my 2005 S80. There is no disc available with the car. To use the system I will need to obtain the required discs. As the car is MY2005, am I restricted to just the discs from that year or can I buy more recent discs (as seen on eBay for example)?
S80s up to 06/2005 use the MMM DVD-based system, you can buy a set of DVDs from various places:
These are a set of 4 DVDs for all of Europe, you insert the DVD for the region you want.
The DVDs also contain operating system updates, this loads if required.
On the MMM system, the map is always read from the DVD, so the DVD for the current area you are driving in must remain in the nav drive at all times.

If you find the new price for the most recent map discs is too high for you, you can always buy older map discs on eBay second hand for lower prices.

I do not advocate buying from pirates, but at the end of the day the decision is yours as to whether you support internet piracy.

WARNING:
The lasers are sensitive to original pressed Volvo discs or pirated home-made copies. To avoid disc reading errors and straining the laser, use original Volvo pressed discs only (don't use a copy) for best trouble free performance.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 09:42   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
Just use your phone ...Far better nav apps available than the clunky old volvo system!
I love the Volvo nav system as it
  • does not consume phone bandwidth
  • does not incur roaming charges - for me I can be roaming after only a 30 minute drive
  • integrates perfectly into the audio and phone system
  • discretely advises me when I have to do something if a higher-priority message is currently in progress (like phone call or traffic announcement)
  • can be 100% fully operated without taking my hands off the steering wheel
  • never has a flat battery
  • works in tunnels and narrow mountain valleys, of which I have quite a few where I live
  • works always regardless of whether a mobile network is available (quite important for where I live, I can easily drive to places that have no mobile network, the closest is 2km from home)
  • has a very fast startup time, I am tracking my position before I am out of my garage - my mobile cannot do that
  • is directly visible to me from my drivers position without taking eyes off the road
  • auto dims the screen at nighttime
  • allows me to have a clean, clutter free dashboard
  • can be easily programmed by other occupants in the vehicle

Yes, a modern mobile phone will always be a modern mobile phone, and a mobile phone can be replaced every year for a newer model at low cost (much lower than replacing a car)

But there are a LOT of advantages to fully-integrated built-in car nav systems that will never overcome by a mobile phone.

There is a place for both, and I have used built-in car nav systems since my 1997 BMW, so for over 20 years, in multiple countries, and I really understand the benefit of the in-car nav.
I also have a portable nav I use on holidays with rental cars, which is again better than a mobile phone when on holiday, as it uses no network bandwidth.
My mobile phone navigation app is in my view, the last resort to fall back on when all other systems have failed or are not available.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 09:52   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
If you do then I suggest the MMM disc should work, cost around £30.
http://www.oemdvd.co.uk/2016-volvo-r...pdate-77-p.asp
That site is a pirate selling illegal pirated home made copies on a very dodgy website with no contact info apart from a throw-away gmail address.
He doesn't publish his name (Mike H.) or his his address (Upper Richmond Road West, SW14 7PS London).
The fact that he hides behind a gmail address and does not give out his name or address on his website is a clear indication of a individual operating outside of sound clear legal business practices who does not want to be traced.

I do not advocate buying from pirates, but I understand and accept that you are free to make your own informed decision.

I just wish to alert you to the highly dodgy to potentially strictly illegal nature of his business.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 10:17   #8
migrator
Aye - him again

Thanks for the additional inputs, folks.

As the unit is in the car I would like to have it running.

I appreciate that there are more modern systems about and that a 'phone' system could be used. However my mobile is a Motorola Razr 3i - old flip phone but it is fine for me. I also have my Garmin Nuvi 1490 sat nav in the car - it is my Bluetooth hands free set-up for the old mobile.

There are some MY2005 discs available on the bay for the S80 so I presume that one of these could be sufficient to get the system running?

Thanks again and Seasons Greetings.

VOC 11817
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 11:40   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
That site is a pirate selling illegal pirated home made copies on a very dodgy website with no contact info apart from a throw-away gmail address.
He doesn't publish his name (Mike H.) or his his address (Upper Richmond Road West, SW14 7PS London).
The fact that he hides behind a gmail address and does not give out his name or address on his website is a clear indication of a individual operating outside of sound clear legal business practices who does not want to be traced.

I do not advocate buying from pirates, but I understand and accept that you are free to make your own informed decision.

I just wish to alert you to the highly dodgy to potentially strictly illegal nature of his business.
Bit like someone hiding behind a non de plume and giving their location as ‘cross country’.

Pots and kettles come to mind.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 11:58   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
Thanks for the additional inputs, folks.

As the unit is in the car I would like to have it running.

I appreciate that there are more modern systems about and that a 'phone' system could be used. However my mobile is a Motorola Razr 3i - old flip phone but it is fine for me. I also have my Garmin Nuvi 1490 sat nav in the car - it is my Bluetooth hands free set-up for the old mobile.

There are some MY2005 discs available on the bay for the S80 so I presume that one of these could be sufficient to get the system running?

Thanks again and Seasons Greetings.
There is a more up to date set available on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173030563234 which will give you the whole set, but if you don’t need them that would be a waste of money and the ones I posted work perfectly, or did on the car I had that used MMM, now I update via USB, though I also find that I need to use Google Maps as the Volvo mapping isn’t up-to-date - even a new map

Good thing also is that the phone doesn’t use any bandwidth when being used as a satnav unless you want real-time traffic updates which I have to admit are streets ahead of the rather poor Volvo RTI system which was out of data 20 years ago when they adopted it

I am certain that if you stick a new disc in it will be ok, but I would be asking why there isn’t a disc in it today, that would worry me as there is no reason to remove the old one and I would want to check it before spending any serious money on new discs.