Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wobbly Gear Stick

Views : 3067

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 21:40   #1
sprig63

Hi.
I am about to buy a 1998 (S) V40 2.0i SE.Its done 82k. The thing is, the gear stick is quite sloppy, although upon the test drive gear selection was smooth, but the gear stick being sloppy made you unsure if you were going into 3rd or 5th. Is this a major problem or should I not be concerned? Also, there seems to be a small exhaust leak at the very front, maybe even a cracked manifold? Is this even worse a problem? Maybe a complete exhaust renewal is needed? Does anyone know a rought cost for that? Any comments would be most welcome. This will be my first Volvo too!
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 00:39   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Where was reverse gear towards you and back or lift lever and away????

If it lift and away then its got reno box in it and will need a set of gear lever bushs in it at front, bout 6 quid,

If it was towards you and back then its volvo's M56 box and thats on cables and doesn't really cause any problems
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 17:13   #3
sprig63

Thanks Rooster, it's the lift and away type, so I guess it's a small job to do on it.
That's really helpful
cheers
sprig63
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 17:37   #4
4 forty
VOC Member

Default linkage bushes/exhaust

i have sent you a diagram of the most common bushes to fail on the gear linkage.
also for exhaust prices and information visit www.exhaustshack.co.uk and www.bosel.com

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:29   #5
Pies

Hello folks

I own a '98 v40 2.0L. I have the same problem as mentioned above when in 3rd and fifth gear, with the added bonus of trouble selecting first and second gear. If I lift the gate on the gearstick it will go into first and second easily - is his wear on some other bushes? Would it be possible to see the gear linkage diagram?

cheers
Pies
Pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:44   #6
AdamMarsden

i have a sloppy stick too!! 5th can sometimes be quite hard to engage, you have to push right over towards you before you push it up.... dont suppose someone could send me a pic of the bushes that go please...

adam.
AdamMarsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 00:19   #7
Rooster
Speed freak

Not got a pic but there fairly easy to find, look under front of car and you will see a long selecter rod that runs from the gearbox to down side of exhaust,

If you look at front of that rod where it joins gearbox you can see the bushs, later model have a little black cap covering them up,

10min job to change and most dealers should know which bushs you want if you go in and ask for a set of front gear selecter bushs.

You should get the 2 plastic bushs, 2 rubber O rings and the metal tube bit that fits up middle of them
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:37   #8
Pies

Thanks for the info... should keep me busy this weekend!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 15:42   #9
Rockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
Where was reverse gear towards you and back or lift lever and away????

If it lift and away then its got reno box in it and will need a set of gear lever bushs in it at front, bout 6 quid,

If it was towards you and back then its volvo's M56 box and thats on cables and doesn't really cause any problems
where you getting your parts from.. i have just been on to volvo and the want £35 for the bushings..? and GFS dont stock them..
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:02   #10
Pies

I changed the gearbox end linkage bushes and everything is good now - £5.52 from a volvo dealer - consisted of little metal tube, 2 o-rings and 2 halves of a bush and weighed about 20g.