Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

engine wash n fuel additives

Views : 1091

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: 122s ,B18B, engine wash / additives
122s 0 0%
engine wash 122s 0 0%
amazon 0 0%
additive dosage 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 5th, 2013, 14:09   #1
ranjit200

Default engine wash n fuel additives

hi everyone, thanks for the advice on additives used with unleaded. I use regular unleaded, is it ok? whats the dosage for Millers VSPe Power Plus/ Castrol valvemaster plus to be used.
About the B18B engine..will it do any damage if i washed the engine with jet wash ..any suggestions please...regards...ranjit
ranjit200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 14:44   #2
Faust
Master Member

Fuel additives: look at the bottle – it should tell you the ‘dose’ you need to put into the tank per litre of fuel (each additive will be different so there’s no point in asking how much you need to add). I use super-unleaded in my car with Castrol Valemaster plus – regular unleaded is ok, but I find the idle is better and there is improved throttle response with the good stuff.

Engine cleaning: unless your motor is really, really dirty I would not bother with a jet wash as water will get where you don’t want it to no matter how well you waterproof the electronics under the bonnet (my brother used a jet wash on the engine of his MK1 1.6 Capri many years ago - it never ran right again!).

If you really want to wash the engine, I’d use the degreaser products you can buy (look on ebay or Google), a stiff nylon brush and a hosepipe on LOW power to avoid soaking the dizzy, alternator/generator, relays and other electrics.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 17:34   #3
Tail
Master Member

I have powerwashed an engine or two down at the local sainsburys in their buy time, they probably wouldn't like it if they knew I had done it but I just squirted some engine cleaner around at home then drove down there popped the bonnet and left the engine running hot foamy lance followed by a powerwash off and no ill effects touch wood
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tail For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 22:04   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Spray the dizzy and HT leads wit WD40 and them pressure wash away. Autosmart triple work well for getting off the muck and grime.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 23:15   #5
Amma122s

Don't they do Gunk anymore in UK ? ..the stuff in the orange can, used to use that with good results years ago. Don't know about the local garage pressure washer or the kärcher at home, wouldn't consider it, only for removing accumulated mud off my Africa Twin after a day out in the wilds..professional steamclean in the engine bay maybe.....

Additives yes..led substitute every tankfull and sometimes a booster ...full tank of vpower at shell on the odd occasion.

Over here theres something called ksprit

Stops petrol freezing or ice build up plus lubricates...use that too

Last edited by Amma122s; Dec 5th, 2013 at 23:29.
Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 00:30   #6
guitarman

normally 1ml/litre with Valvemaster. I find the B30 runs better with it. Wouldnt put water/steam anywhere near the engine. If you want to clean use rag with some white spirit.
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 10:28   #7
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

#

in regards to engine cleaning i would use a engine cleaner most motor factors stock like and i have used jizzer works very well rub that on engine with a nylon brush and keep rubbing till all loose then wash down with warm or cold water soon dries very nice and sparkles as it was ( depending on state of engine paint etc )

and at that point you can when dry paint the engine up use a diluted paint coat first to settle in and when dry apply three coats of more paint out of the tin and bingo one very nice engine fit to eat your dinner from keep spark plugs in mind and any threads free from build up of paint !!!

happy cleaning

regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 11:09   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cool

For a good but cheap engine and under bonnet cleaner, try Wickes brush clean. It doesn't leave the streaks on the paintwork that Gunk does. A pressurised garden sprayer is very controllable for the wash down. If your engine bay is very dirty don't wash it down on your nice clean patio unless you have a layer of cardboard underneath.

Last edited by Derek UK; Dec 6th, 2013 at 11:13.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 11:09   #9
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
#

in regards to engine cleaning i would use a engine cleaner most motor factors stock like and i have used jizzer works very well rub that on engine with a nylon brush and keep rubbing till all loose then wash down with warm or cold water soon dries very nice and sparkles as it was ( depending on state of engine paint etc )

and at that point you can when dry paint the engine up use a diluted paint coat first to settle in and when dry apply three coats of more paint out of the tin and bingo one very nice engine fit to eat your dinner from keep spark plugs in mind and any threads free from build up of paint !!!

happy cleaning

regards
robert
Jizzer. Giggles at volume!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 20:34   #10
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Default jizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodave View Post
Jizzer. Giggles at volume!
funny i know but this stuff works like magic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWARFEGA-J...item4ab9511818

happy cleaning

regards

Robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post: