Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie needs advice on buying a 480 - Auto or not ?

Views : 824

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 21:17   #1
Colin Barratt

Default Newbie needs advice on buying a 480 - Auto or not ?

Hi,

I am a brand new member who is desperately trying to find a good solid 480.
I have been offered a really nice 2.0 litre M reg Auto with 95K on it.

I have never been a great fan of automatics but the price on this is good and the condition A1.

Can you advise me on plusses and minusses, economy, etc.

I have also been offered a 480 ES S version in good nick at very little money.

Is the S version a good idea?

Hear from you soon.

Regards,

Colin.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 18:57   #2
K966PLF

Smile ok mate........

Hi!

Well I currently have one of 15 Turbo Autos on a 95/M plate in the UK.

I'd say with Auto 480s,change the ATF every 10000 miles.This might seem a little over cautious but mine is now on 106k,with a fuel/boost mod giving the gearbox another 50bhp to cope with.
I cant recommend Lubegard enough either.This ATF additive is fantastic as it lowers the friction in the box and there for lowers the operating temperature too,giving far longer life.This product I buy through Oregon Performance Transmissions (usernameregonperformancetransmissions on ebay)

I would recommend joining the 480 experts at www.volvo-480-europe.org

A lot of us dont pay the silly Volvo prices and do the work ourselves to the book,as we are mostly qualified or highly skilled folk and have the Volvo data to hand also.

The economy is great if you have good leads,plugs,cap and arm.I run the 99 octane from Tescos in my Turbo and it loves it!Lasts longer too as it burns slower.

I wouldnt worry about having an "S" model as it was up to the customer at the time when the car was new as to how he wanted the car specced.So you can have an S with better spec than an ES.........

You couldnt have better back up than from these forums,both this and the Volvo 480 Club Europe.......

Go for it,then try selling it!You wont be able to I assure you!Im on my 3rd!!!!

Im on 07771 633289 if youd like to talk 480 in any way okay?

Good Luck!
Steve Koczka.
www.volvo-480-europe.org
K966PLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 00:36   #3
Colin Barratt

Thanks for your reply to my "Auto" question.
As I mentioned there is a really clean M reg red 2.0 litre Auto about 70 miles away but I've never owned an auto and I have heard that the Renault made auto box is notorious for giving up after 100K miles and this one is on 95K.
The lack of a 2nd hand market is clear from the number which are still available on websites after being listed for a long time and because the owner of the red one has rung me to reduce his asking price.
How does the economy of the auto compare with the manual version?
Colin.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 19:29   #4
K966PLF

Talking consumption

Hi Colin!My pleasure mate,love the 480 and can talk them all day!

Anwyay,as the book says,the Auto is 4 mpg worse than the manual.This has proved to be spot on.What we noticed,however,was more the engine noise as the Auto is a ZF built 4 speed unit.Therews no 5th gear hence worse economy.BUT your is a lower revving 2.0 engine so you could ask a forum member who I'll suggest later on.

I cant praise the use of Lubegard additive enough.Mine is on 106000,and been running that 170 bhp one off mod since 55000 and its absolutely fine.The only thing when buying one is check the colour of the auto fluid.If its black,burnt smelling or grey,basically any colour but pinky red change it.First drive the car to see how she shifts.When the trans fluid is old they can make a whooping noise between 2nd and 3rd.A change of fluid and the additive does the trick here:-)

I would disregard the information you have heard and buy the car for the right price.Im not sure where you are but in East Anglia I'd pay no more than £800 with some or all history.

And I'd polish and extra gloss protect (Auto Glym) that 235 Red colour to buggery as it fades like you know what in the sun.

Theres a 2.0 Auto owner,Stu Chacks on www.volvo-480-europe.org

Dont be shy or fear defekting!We dont bite!LOL

Kindest Regards,
Steve.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 23:11   #5
Colin Barratt

Hi Steve,
Next weekend I shall, I hope, be collecting a 480 Celebration !! This one was just too nice to pass by. It drives superbly - a real Grand Tourer.

I paid top whack for it but it has a good history, is on 85K and is as clean as a whistle in ALL areas. The owner doesn't think the rear seats have ever been used. It still has the boot cover and the ski pack !!
If it hadn't been A1 I was set to go to look at the Auto.
When I have put a few miles on the Celebration I'll post my impressions. Is there anything you would do to make it last longer - I don't think I'll be replacing it for a long time.
Thanks again,
Colin.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 21:15   #6
K966PLF

Default niiiiice!

Hi Colin!

Firstly what number of 480 is it so we can add to the list of still on the road celebs???Some have been broken obv or pranged.

Did you by any chance buy this from Karen?

Looks like a £2500 Celeb I knew was for sale around last weekend thats all!

Advice?Well,service it yourself and dont hesitate to call about it if you have problems (07771 633289).Its essential to join www.volvo-480-europe.org if you have a 480 as you learn so much and make so many friends.You also dont end up paying £75 an hour + VAT at Volvo!!!!!

Im username catgroom on the 480 Club Europe Forum,its great alongside this club too!

Looks a real minter mate!

Enjoy!

Steve.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 20:38   #7
Colin Barratt

Smile Not the one you thought it was - ........

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the advice.
The car is 204/480 and is in 90% + condition.
I'll post a few pics when I get it home.
I won't say how much it cost but it was less that the one you mentioned and 10% more than I had originally said was my top price.
I have opened a hotmail email account just so that I can join the Volvo 480 Europe Club. Apparently they are regarded by AOL as "spam" and can't do anything about it !!
Keep in touch.
Colin.