Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stuck in Park

Views : 27185

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 18:04   #1
gck303

Default Stuck in Park

I have a 2006 2.4D Auto.

Recently it has stuck in park and needing much patience to get drive to engage drive. When I depress the brake pedal the shift lock does do something as I can feel and hear a click below the gearlever.

It happens irrespective of temperature, include and I have not split coffee/soda over my car.

What has likely broken?

Is this the shift lock solenoid that is tucked away near the gear lever is failing?

George
gck303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 17:19   #2
gck303

After a bit more digging, it seems that it is not the solenoid. This is fully disengaging when you would expect.

Instead, their seems to be something else keeping the lever from getting out of park.

Any ideas?

I am worried I am going to get stuck in park at the least convenient time...
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:39   #3
fabregas39

Default Stuck Gear Shift

I have exactly the same problem-stuck in Park Volvo XC90 2006 D5

You tube vid showsa defective trigger on the gear switch-mine seems fine but still stuck.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
fabregas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:57   #4
gck303

No. The problem has not gone and not been fixed. I suspect it is a fault in the gear gate mechanism, somewhere underneath the lever.

A good yank will get it out of park, so I have been making do.

Interesting, the problem seems to be getting less as time goes on. The resistance is less and it gets stuck slightly less often.

Do you have a link to the youtube video?

G
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 21:17   #5
sneakypenguin

I had this exact same problem in my omega so it should be the same principle. Take the leather/material surround off (should pull up in one section), now have a look at the top end closest to the dash board. You should see a little tab (in the miggy it was yellow) that locks into position stopping the gear lever from moving. You should be able to manually flick this tab upwards and get it into gear. I eventually bent the tab 90deg so that it didn't lock.

hth

Mick
Dice/Vida
sneakypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 08:40   #6
gck303

Quick update on the problem:

It seems to have gone. Without me doing anything the problem no rarely occurs. On the odd occasion when it does, then a [very] firm yank will get the car out of park and into drive.

If it stops me from getting it though the MOT then I might consider a permanent fix. Until then I am living with it as it is.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 22:58   #7
DEL6286

Default Auto Gear Selector stuck

If it is of any help my O5 plate D5 V70 has just suffered the same problem, despite squeezing the catch on the back of the shifter and with foot on brake the lever would not move out of neutral. Seemingly there is a cable built into the gear knob which is actuated by the catch on the back of the knob via a flimsy plastic connection which slowly breaks up thus separating the cable from the catch and this leaves a locking block at the bottom of the cable in a catch plate so stopping movement of the shifter. The answer - which is not pretty to see - is to pull upwards for all you are worth on the knob which is very tight (keeping your head out of harms way) and the knob will come flying off probably with the cable still attached leaving the steel shifter rod and gaiter still in place (you can detach the gaiter from the knob first) I didn't and no harm was done. You can now move the shifter as normal and get home to order a replacement, the lads at FRF were as usual helpful and found it for me. If you wish detach the cable from the knob and replace it for a more elegant and comfortable short term fix.

Last edited by DEL6286; Mar 5th, 2012 at 23:01.
DEL6286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 21:50   #8
DEL6286

Default Update to Auto Selecter Stuck

Some more detail on the problem, the none movement of the selector stick had occurred a couple of times in the weeks running up to the total failure but it had eventually come free and had then seemed to work normally. One other possible indicator of imminent failure was that the bottom of the “Inhibitor button” (as it is termed in the manual) was standing proud of the knob, in other words you could get a fingertip between the bottom of the button and the knob itself, the new one does not protrude at all. An alternative get you home tip if you can’t get the knob off is that if you ripped the inhibitor button off upwards, you could probably get hold of the actuator cable with long noise pliers or forceps and manually lift the cable to disengage the latch so as to get the car into drive as a get you home. All of the internal latch bits behind the button can be pulled out, there is nothing to lose the replacement is a complete assembly knob and all Part No 08698157
DEL6286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 20:13   #9
tudorroger

Exclamation gear switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabregas39 View Post
I have exactly the same problem-stuck in Park Volvo XC90 2006 D5

You tube vid showsa defective trigger on the gear switch-mine seems fine but still stuck.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
ma be your override button stuck in just press it a few times if it slow it needs lubricating in the mean time get a little flat screwdriver and prize it up hope that helps
tudorroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 06:31   #10
danielm85948

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorroger View Post
ma be your override button stuck in just press it a few times if it slow it needs lubricating in the mean time get a little flat screwdriver and prize it up hope that helps
this apply s to all volvo xc cars the trouble is due to trigger on your gear stick it is broken, so will need changed.with the car in park there should be an unlock button you push down on .if you cant see it.take a small screw driver ,to move the trigger forward that will let you move the gear stick and get your key out.this is very common .and a known fault .
danielm85948 is offline   Reply With Quote