Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Windscreen replacement

Views : 1505

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 20:37   #1
PhilipT5

Default XC60 Windscreen replacement

Only 3500 miles in, but a small chip decided to turn into a 1 foot crack overnight.

Insurance company are sending out Autoglass next week, but I did a quick search here and found some old posts about the calibration difficulties. Does anyone know if these issues have all been fixed or am I going to have to go to the dealer afterwards to get it done properly?
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 21:01   #2
Driver Dave

Autoglass replaced my XC90 screen last summer, we were on holiday at the time, they could do the replacement within 2 days but if I wanted the recalibration it would need to wait for a week.

In conjunction with my insurers and Autoglass it was agreed the screen would be replaced and IF I found recalibration was necessary I could get it done at a later date either by my dealer or by Autoglass.

As it happens recalibration has not been needed and all the cars systems have worked as they did previously.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 22:13   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipT5 View Post
Only 3500 miles in, but a small chip decided to turn into a 1 foot crack overnight.

Insurance company are sending out Autoglass next week, but I did a quick search here and found some old posts about the calibration difficulties. Does anyone know if these issues have all been fixed or am I going to have to go to the dealer afterwards to get it done properly?
The major glass fitters have an agreement with volvo dealers to do the calibration . they MUST always be calibrated after a new glass is fitted .
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 11:47   #4
ergonomist

Had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass back in July last year. Had it done at their local centre and they recalibrated it there - or at least the certificate they gave me said they had!
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:24   #5
Director76
Master Member

Do these SPA cars have to have OEM screens, or will Autoglass try and palm you off with one of their home made pattern screens?

I requested OEM glass on two previous occasions from Autoglass (an Alfa and a VW Touareg) and both were approved at no extra cost by Aviva

When I had the Alfa screen done, the Autoglass tech said the fact that it was OEM made his life easier as it guaranteed a better fit. I’ve also heard stories (though never seen) problems with obvious optical flaws in pattern screens
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:54   #6
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Do these SPA cars have to have OEM screens, or will Autoglass try and palm you off with one of their home made pattern screens?

I requested OEM glass on two previous occasions from Autoglass (an Alfa and a VW Touareg) and both were approved at no extra cost by Aviva

When I had the Alfa screen done, the Autoglass tech said the fact that it was OEM made his life easier as it guaranteed a better fit. I’ve also heard stories (though never seen) problems with obvious optical flaws in pattern screens
Hi D76

When I had a screen last (in my Touareg) both Autoglass and Aviva said OE screen def up until car 2 years old, after that by negotiation. I checked with AG they were bringing an OE screen and they were quite happy, as were Aviva so you shd be ok.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 00:27   #7
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
Hi D76

When I had a screen last (in my Touareg) both Autoglass and Aviva said OE screen def up until car 2 years old, after that by negotiation. I checked with AG they were bringing an OE screen and they were quite happy, as were Aviva so you shd be ok.
Yes there were some good discussions on MyTreg about screens! I had no probs with my Touareg OEM replacement (probably was under 2 years
then)

The unusual thing with the OEM Touareg glass was no VW identifying marks
anywhere...presumably so the Cayenne drivers could pretend they had a proper Porsche. ;-)
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 08:11   #8
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Yes there were some good discussions on MyTreg about screens! I had no probs with my Touareg OEM replacement (probably was under 2 years
then)

The unusual thing with the OEM Touareg glass was no VW identifying marks
anywhere...presumably so the Cayenne drivers could pretend they had a proper Porsche. ;-)
Haha yes I remember the discussion now you have reminded me. Good luck with the view screen in the Volvo.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 09:18   #9
m2srt

I assume that if you have the winter pack you probably have to go down the OEM route anyway.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 20:16   #10
PhilipT5

Thanks for the posts guys. Was away this weekend (drove 200 miles in a Yaris instead of the XC60!), so it's booked in for Friday to get replaced - will let you all know how it goes.

Had bad luck with this car so far, scratch on the boot (my fault) and someone smacked into my bonnet and took a big chunk out of it without leaving a note. Hoping it isn't a sign of things to come.