Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another tyre thread (sorry, have searched! but still lost!)

Views : 6481

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 23:31   #1
steadvex
Master Member

Default Another tyre thread (sorry, have searched! but still lost!)

Hi, sorry to post another thread about tyres, however i wanted to get some more opinoins from people who have used different brands of tyre..

basically i've settled for either Michelin PRIMACY HP reinforced at £120 each or pilot sport 2 at £113 each, i do carry a few things in the s60, so would i benifit from the reinforced tyres, my local ats told me he'd match costco prices, and has 4 pilot sport 2's in stock, however from what i can tell the primacy hp's are a longer lasting tyre? and possibly better for the colder months, would i be a fool to settle for the sport 2's just because they are in stock now?

i'm sure i read one thread on here that the reinforced tyres help with the ride comfort on 225/45/17's but i can't find the thread again!

unless of course someone can suggest a £50 unkown brand that doesn't give a huge loss in mpg and has exceptional grip!, been searching most of the day on info about tyres and a lot seem to say the goodyear f1's are excelent grip wet and dry but you do seem to have a noticable loss of mpg, as most of the budget tyres review i've read, I do around 70-80 miles a day so not looking for spending more in fuel!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 23:42   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

How about Toyo Proxes T1-R's? Very good tyres if not quite the equal of the GDS3 F1's in the wet. 4 of them inc delivery will run you £285 from camskill.co.uk, you'll have to find somewhere to fit them for you though.

A reinforced tyre will have stiffer walls than a non-reinforced tyre so I wouldn't expect it to improve the ride quality.

I paid £100 each inc fitting for 2x Eagle F1 Asymetrics and so far I'm delighted with them, it's hard to compare prices though as I'm not exactly local to you

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:05   #3
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Jees, now you've got me wondering whether my (unresearched) replacement of Mich Primacies to Dunlop SP2000's at the noisy end accounts for a significant drop in MPG - or whether it's just the cold winter we've been enjoying.

I was thinking about Falken 452's which are well spoken of - and I'm still gunna give them a shot to see if MPG is restored.

But if they don't cut the mustard, it's back to the Primacies for Dynosaur.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:42   #4
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Vredestein Ultracs, I pay £75 a corner for the 225/45/17's.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 16:40   #5
steadvex
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynosaur View Post
Jees, now you've got me wondering whether my (unresearched) replacement of Mich Primacies to Dunlop SP2000's at the noisy end accounts for a significant drop in MPG - or whether it's just the cold winter we've been enjoying.

I was thinking about Falken 452's which are well spoken of - and I'm still gunna give them a shot to see if MPG is restored.

But if they don't cut the mustard, it's back to the Primacies for Dynosaur.
i was tempted by the falken's, but i couldn't find enough info for them, i've used dunlop sport once, but that was on an entirly different class of car, and some time ago, on a 1.7td (izuzu, my only car without some magical box of tricks to control everything, i miss not worying about sensors failing!) cavalier they lasted me quite under 10k, however i do remember it giving the car much more grip on twisty roads...

well, i settled for the primacy sport 2, put all 4 on, imediatly noticed an improvement (front was on the limit!) also noticed quite a noticable change in mpg, although i feel that was more due to the tracking more than a bit off...ride difference is quite impressive

i'm sure it wasn't bargin of the centuary, but i just had 4 pilot sport 2, tyre insurance at £5 a pop and tracking done for £490, was impressed the guy didn't even ask for proof of costco prices, which he matched, the tires were originally £170 a pop, wish i said they were £80 a go...

in the unlikely event of winning the lottery, i will buy myself quite a few sets of tyres, various brands and see for myself what the differences are, ironically being on a tight budget means i end up paying for the premium of at least feeling like it was a good choice!
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 16:58   #6
John_C
Allons-y!

The PS2's are a good tyre, not the cheapest by any means but they do seem to last quite well, my T5 managed about 15 to 16 thousand miles with those on the front according to the service history which isn't bad for a T5.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 17:27   #7
Tomo9945

I have had 4 Hankook Ventus tyres fitted to my D5 today. £90 a corner and last very well and handle superbly.
Tomo9945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 17:44   #8
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
The PS2's are a good tyre, not the cheapest by any means but they do seem to last quite well, my T5 managed about 15 to 16 thousand miles with those on the front according to the service history which isn't bad for a T5.
if i get 15-16k out of the front tyres i'll be very happy indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo9945 View Post
I have had 4 Hankook Ventus tyres fitted to my D5 today. £90 a corner and last very well and handle superbly.
if you don't mind me asing what did you have on before? i had very worm primacy tyres on before so i can't give a fair comparsion between the 2, if your rebuying the same tyres again how long did they last you? hopefully its a long way off, but if i start comparing peoples opinions now, next time i might actually be decided in advance on what to get!

Last edited by steadvex; Dec 23rd, 2008 at 17:49.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 21:04   #9
Tomo9945

I have got at least 20000 miles out of these Hankooks. Only replacing them due to my tracking having been out, else I may have been able to squeeze a couple more thousand out. I used to have them on my old ST mondeo..wouldn't have anything else now.
Tomo9945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 18:34   #10
Chris Parish
Large Member

I'm just about to replace the four 215/55/16 tyres on my S80 D5. The previous owner had fitted Prestivo Sport tyres on the front which are presumably cheap tyres. The wet grip is terrible, bordering on dangerous. It occurrs to me that getting so much intermitent front wheel grip must play havoc with the suspension and transmission. Apart from the safety aspect, in the long run it is bound to cost more in damage to the car!

It seems the going price for Michelins is about £120 each, so I'm interexted to read about the other tyres in this thread. I'm after wet grip and longevity, but then I suppose we all are!
Chris Parish is offline   Reply With Quote