Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800 Drive it day

Views : 873

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2017, 12:21   #1
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Default P1800 Drive it day

Car performed well although developed a slight misfire which cleared.....then a rear drum locked up. Managed to get her home ...will pull the drum off and see what is happening. Backed off the adjuster and wheel spins free.
Got to get this right as we are booked to go here there and everywhere this summer. In truth the brakes ain't ever been that brilliant and always needed a second dip of the foot to get a good feel

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"

Last edited by CLIVERALLY; Apr 24th, 2017 at 12:23.
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 14:27   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Clive;

Drum locking up and Brakes needing two pushes are likely due to two different causes which should be addressed separately.
Drum (or even Caliper) locking up can be a result of an internally swollen (old) brakeline (loosening Bleeder at that corner to release line pressure is an intermediate cure which will allow one to limp home) this will require replacement of brake line...but I've also seen this happen when a Wheel Cylinder Piston became seized with rust in its bore, resulting in Spring not being able to back shoes away from Drum when Pedal and line pressure were released.
Pulling Drum and a Brake inspection should reveal what the issue is...but definitely also check for free WCPiston action!
Having to push Pedal twice before you get good brakes is a common sign that rear shoes of Drum brake worn and Adjusters needing a touch of adjustment to take up the resulting free travel...which is what that first Pedal push is now doing! If all else is normal, this is not a sign of a problem...an adjustment is simply required! Hint: Rebuild Adjusters with Graphite filled Anti-Seize to them free and functioning smoothly and prevent them from becoming a "Monolithic Structure".

Good Hunting
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 18:09   #3
tdz840
VOC Member

Also a failed servo can lock up the wheels
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 18:22   #4
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Thanks chaps yes I am going to strip..hope its not the sodding servo ...if it is its out on its arse. Doubt it tho as it is just this one wheel but again will check as I am anally retentive with brakes...years of rallying taught me that :-)

Old Apr 24th, 2017, 20:43   #5
Volvo_133
VOC member

Both of my rear drums were "dragging" after being layed up. Found the wheel cylinder rear pistons seized at both sides. The front pistons moving freely.
I replaced both cylinders with new units from Brookhouse. What a difference that made to the braking efficiency.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 22:46   #6
woodman
Master Member

I have front discs and rear drums, but single line with no servo, and I can safely say that I've always had full confidence in the brakes. The pedal is a bit heavier than a modern car, and under VERY severe braking you have to watch out for locking, but generally the car stops exactly as you'd want a car to stop. So if you have brakes that need a bit of coaxing, I'd say you need to get them sorted, because design-wise they should be completely up to the job.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 09:00   #7
SWAmazon

Brakes should be pretty good, they will "lock up" and the abs system prevents that on a modern car.
Last MOT the tester said that the brakes on my '66 were better than a 'base' model Focus!
SWAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SWAmazon For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 16:32   #8
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Default Rear brakes from drive it day

OK

I wound back the adjuster anti- clock wise and the wheel moved freely. I have removed the drum. Will check the cylinder tomorrow as the Tour of Yorkshire sodding bike race has meant I am a prisoner in my own home.
The upper shoe has loads of meat on it however the lower shoes leading edge looks worn.
Will disconnect and clean and grease everything . Lets see if I can get to the bottom of this

Old Apr 29th, 2017, 16:10   #9
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

OK....today's strip down of the rear brake which was sticking on revealed:-

1) the adjuster was not at fault...it was well greased and both adjuster pegs as slippery as goose sh%t

2) handbrake ...free and slick on take up and return

The culprit....yep it was one side of the cylinder...so seized that a hammer and punch failed to shift it . compressed air blew one side out and then some fine adjustment tools !!!! Got the other side

The only question is do I change the shoes? I have between 4 mm at the trailing edge and 3mm at the leading edge ?
I found a brilliant post on the rear brakes but sadly the photos are no longer displayed.....a big thanks to everyone for their input. Especially Ron...so change the shoes or not?

Old Apr 29th, 2017, 17:41   #10
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Oh yes and I did not see the bicycle race.!