Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rebuild or engine replacement?

Views : 4586

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2010, 15:49   #1
Biotoxic
Master Member

Default Rebuild or engine replacement?

Hi, I was thinking about 1.9 td(115hp) engine rebuild, car has done 255000 miles and loosing compression, looks like from atleast 2 or 3 cylindres. Thats why I have problems with EGR all the time..( I know the reason for clogging up and low performance related problems)
But today I thought about getting a engine replacement. I found one in Ebay.co.uk for 790£ 70000 miles. Which could be the best option? geting old engine rebuilt(piston rings changed, piston heads maybe as well, some major cleanup inside the engine, all manifolds things like that) or just swaping to that engine. If I decide to rebuilt, I will do that myself and then I will make guide for it, like I did when I removed turbo, egr, and inlet manifold. I havent done this before, so my biggest concer is timing belt adjustments for correct valve opening/closing...

So in short.
Its S40 1.9 TD Sport year 2002 (115 hp) And I am thinking about ecu remapping after that rebuild/swap.
What would be the cost if I am doing it myself(rebuilding engine)?
Any tips?
Is 2004 V50 rear wheel drive? (I am looking for Diesel volvo with RWD..)
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 16:43   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

I would swap the engine , re building can end up very expensive and time consuming .. you can use the 102 bhp engie too , the extra power comes from just different software in your ECU .
V50 is front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive available on T5 not many of those around though .
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 09:31   #3
Biotoxic
Master Member

thx, I was thinking about selling that car while its still somewhat running fine.
Currently looking for some 2.4 diesel D5 I think it was(S60) or something else, rwd, 4wheel drive or any other volvo car with good mpg, comfort, and less problems with engine..
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 18:45   #4
Biotoxic
Master Member

I have decided to do a engine recondition or something like that.
I will do that myself.
At the moment I am thinking of changing piston rings, gaskets as necessary, timing belt and timing belts tensioners, probably water pump, diesel pump and filter, fuel injectors, glow plugs and probably some bearings as well.
Then I will put that all together. I might add some extra gauges to the dashboard, like water temperature meter, oil pressure and/or oil temperature, boost gauges.. things like that.. hopefully it will eliminate blow-by
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
(yeah I found a definition for this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGv8s...eature=related
So I am saving some 500£ (hopefully) and wasting those to get some upgrades for my S40 sport lux

Any suggestions or tips?
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 20:05   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

If I were you I'd take Clan's advice - save up that £500 and try to source a lower mileage second-hand unit. Salvo Group sometimes have these engines in stock.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 23:10   #6
Biotoxic
Master Member

I like challenges, I am not afraid of them. And I want to dismantle a cars engine.
About engine swap, you cant tell what is wrong with the other engine(if there is any), I know what needs to be done with this engine and those things will be changed and fixed there might be some electrical problem with that other engine, so at the end of the day I could be left with two bad engines instead of one normal running one.

Is there any performance parts that could be swapped from OEM parts? If I want to upgrade to bigger turbo than standard one, things like that...
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:00   #7
Biotoxic
Master Member

I need to change piston rings, do I need to get piston ring set for all 4 pistons or just those affected with wear and tier?
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 15:07   #8
GJB
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotoxic View Post
I need to change piston rings, do I need to get piston ring set for all 4 pistons or just those affected with wear and tier?
All 4 you will also need probably to get a glaze buster so they can bed in.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 00:40   #9
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
All 4 you will also need probably to get a glaze buster so they can bed in.
I am good at improvising I think I wont need that thx anyway

Other thing... I have removed almost all engine block attachments( intake manifold, turbo, auxiliary belt, fuel pipelines, removed bolts from fuel injectors, battery things like that... ) I have set TDC(top dead centre) for my camshaft now I need to remove bottom camshaft pulley bolt, to get off the timing belt.. I am stuck there, because that bolt wont budge.... used even anti rust spray with lubricating properties to loosen that bolt, but still nothing.. I am trying to undone that bolt anticlockwise like normal bolts needs to be undone. Could it be that bolt needs to be unscrewed clockwise? Anybody has a tip?... if not I will use propane heater to get it out...
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 14:32   #10
Biotoxic
Master Member

Good news. just removed cylinder head... piston rings is ok, no movement of the piston itself... problem looks like its in cylinder 3... bad injector, soot everywhere.. I will clean that injector and all parts to get rid of the soot...

Something a bit worrying.
When I unscrewed cylinder head, all but one of the bolts was completely covered in oil.... it was front of the engine closer to flywheel, right in the corner. What could this mean? I should remove then engine and take a look?

Tags
engine, rebuild, swap