Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A few niggles - any help?

Views : 758

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 22:09   #1
keith Stanley

Default A few niggles - any help?

Newbie to this site and a Newbie to owning Volvo's!

I bought Wife an S40 Sport a week ago and loved it so much I purchased myself an S40 T4 yesterday. Price was very reasonable but there are a few niggles which I am hoping someone here can help me with.

First one is that the alarm isn't working no matter what I try. The headlights were changed to Xenon so I thought maybe the connector wasn't put back properly, all seems fine on that front. Then moved onto checking the fuses for it, again all ok. The car will flash hazards when locking with the key fob but doesn't flash when you lock the car with the fob and no alarm light flashes on the speaker casing??? I have also checked the Micro switches on all doors, boot and bonnet and all but the bonnet show on the dashboard (Wife's car doesn't show boot open either but alarm works).

Second niggle is that the headlight wipers don't work! Again checked all the fuses and they are ok. Anyone any ideas why these won't work?

The car interior is in great condition and just the offside rear quarter needs a respray and the dreaded rust has set in over the wheelarch!

Other than that I am really pleased with the car and don't think I will be changing it for a while yet! Although it would have been nice to have known these things where faulty when I bought it!!!

Also would like to thank the people on this forum as without them I wouldn't have been able to 'fix' the problem with the main door not locking!
keith Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 22:22   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

The alarm probably requires a new siren , there are batteries inside which corrode in time .

Are the headlamp wipers plugged in ? There are 3 pin plugs behind the headlamps .

A rusty wheel arch is almost always due to a previous poor repair ...
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 22:25   #3
keith Stanley

Is the wiper connection in front of the radiator, in front of the horn? If it is this one then it's connected.

Thanks for the info on the Siren, have seen various posts about them on here so will look at getting it replaced next weekend.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 00:01   #4
keith Stanley

Just a thought but I suppose someone could have disconnected it in the past due to the problems with the S40 alarms. Anyone any idea how I check this possibility? Where would they disconnct it from?
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 07:13   #5
allandwf

Re. the headlight wipers, the recent very cold snap seems to have played havok with many. Mine now point skyward! Occasionally move very slowly.
They are on the to do list. Search on here and there is a thread about stripping and cleaning them.
allandwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 13:05   #6
coupeboy

Stupid question - where is the switch for the headlight wipers? Or do they only work when the headlights are on and the windscreen wipers are on and if so how? Intermittently? all the time? Have changed the blades but never seen them working!
coupeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 13:13   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

Not sure about alarm

The headlight wipers only work when you wash the screen

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 19:42   #8
volpete
volpete

Default alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith Stanley View Post
Newbie to this site and a Newbie to owning Volvo's!

I bought Wife an S40 Sport a week ago and loved it so much I purchased myself an S40 T4 yesterday. Price was very reasonable but there are a few niggles which I am hoping someone here can help me with.

First one is that the alarm isn't working no matter what I try. The headlights were changed to Xenon so I thought maybe the connector wasn't put back properly, all seems fine on that front. Then moved onto checking the fuses for it, again all ok. The car will flash hazards when locking with the key fob but doesn't flash when you lock the car with the fob and no alarm light flashes on the speaker casing??? I have also checked the Micro switches on all doors, boot and bonnet and all but the bonnet show on the dashboard (Wife's car doesn't show boot open either but alarm works).

Second niggle is that the headlight wipers don't work! Again checked all the fuses and they are ok. Anyone any ideas why these won't work?

The car interior is in great condition and just the offside rear quarter needs a respray and the dreaded rust has set in over the wheelarch!

Other than that I am really pleased with the car and don't think I will be changing it for a while yet! Although it would have been nice to have known these things where faulty when I bought it!!!

Also would like to thank the people on this forum as without them I wouldn't have been able to 'fix' the problem with the main door not locking!
Keith you might try open bonnet look at where the catch goes in there is a stainless steel strip of metal push that down with your finger or screwdriver have remote in your hand and press for central locking and if lights flash once that will be the problem you can clean it and it may work as mine did yours Volpete
volpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 20:46   #9
keith Stanley

Volpete, we are not worthy

I had previously checked that the switch was making a noice but had never checked that theory and it works, the alarm sets just as it should. Problem is it doesn't seem to make contact with anything so am wondering if it's slightly out of alignment?!
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 20:58   #10
keith Stanley

OK, on further inspection it appears the bonnet has the connector which would push the micro switch down missing. Grill is different to Wife's S40 Sport '52 plate but you can clearly see where connector is supposed to be,

Can these be bought seperately or is it better to fit a new grill?