Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rims from other models

Views : 515

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2023, 13:26   #1
Peter2400

Default Rims from other models

Hi all!
Is anyone using aluminum rims from smaller models (c30, s40, v50 etc) on bigger models (particularly s80, but XCs too)? Is it safe to use, can they handle the bigger weight of the car long term? (looking on website they weigh about the same as the bigger models' factory rims, even some are heavier)
Thanks
Peter2400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 15:27   #2
passenger
Master Member

Well in Switzerland police would shoot you in head with other rims than written for that car lol
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 17:05   #3
simboc2004
SimboC2004

In theory they will fit - as will many Ford and Jaguar rims that also use the same 5 x 108 stud layout, however I would be very careful about using any wheels that weren't specifically made to fit that model. So, any S80/V70 2008-2016 fine, but not XC70 specific wheels as the suspension is really quite different - There's a really good blog on the Swedespeed USA Volvo forum by a guy (in the car business) who converts an XC70 to a V70 and discovers a huge amount of differences between V70 and XC70.

You also need to look at the offset for certain wheels - many Volvo alloys were produced to fit different models, but with different offsets - i.e. they look the same, but won't fit on the "wrong" model. Other models' wheels may also not be strong enough to take the loads delivered by a 2 ton+ V70. There's a nice Ford Focus alloy I really like, but it wasn't fitted to a Mondeo - which had a similar, but much chunkier, design instead - warning me that it wouldn't take the extra load of a V70. Some Jag wheels could be good, but be careful of wheel diameters and offsets that might foul the suspension. Do you really want to use offset spacers...?

if you do fit a "non-standard" wheel, then you'll need to make sure it doesn't invalidate your insurance.

I'm also very keen on getting some 19" Heicos, which were designed - and type approved - for V70s, so they would be OK. Polestar 19" wheels should be OK too - but V60 ones, not V40 (offset and possible weight restrictions). I really like Midir 18" alloys (had them on my first C30) - they were available on C70s (similar weight to a V70), BUT wrong offset again... If buying any on Ebay check the serial number on the back of the wheel - the spec is not always as described in the advert, but will be correct if you check the serial number against the Volvo database...

So complicated.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.

Last edited by simboc2004; Apr 29th, 2023 at 17:08.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 21:35   #4
Peter2400

Thanks for replies. Fitting is no problem- my summer set is a regor 17" with et50, and ive been running ford smax steel rims with et55 for winter (width is also 0.5" more than the regors) with no problem. The ones im looking at are only et52.5 and the same width as the regors, so they should fit too. Only concern is the weight - my s80 weighs about 1800 kg, as i use it, some luggage, spare tyre and half a tank. Dont know how much an s40 or v50 is lighter (the rims im looking and found a few for good price are s40 and v50 factory rims), i assume about 2-300 kgs. Question is if the rims can handle that excess weight long term. Insurance i don't think is a problem, i don't suppose they search for volvo's accesory catalogue for exact rims for particular model, as long as it is not an outsandingly aftermarket rim (UK companies might be different though), but that question doesn't bother me that much right now.

Last edited by Peter2400; Apr 29th, 2023 at 21:54.
Peter2400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2023, 12:52   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The problem with insurance is that for 99.999% of the time the insurance companies are not bothered about minor spec differences which may not have any safety consequences. The problem arises if you are involved in a claim for huge personal injury damages when the insurers will put their investigators on the case to avoid paying out horrendous sums which if they succeed will become your liability. In these cases they look for anything which they can use to invalidate the claim regardless of its relevance to the damage. It is unlikely to happen to you but it does happen to someone from time to time.