Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc70 2006 d5 rear arb/sway bar bushes

Views : 609

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 09:24   #1
Tjoffroader

Default xc70 2006 d5 rear arb/sway bar bushes

Hi all, im having a stressful time trying to find something i have seen on this forum plenty of times but now i need it myself i cannot find them. drat and double drat for not bookmarking the post.

i have 2006 xc70 d5 185 and need to change the bushes on the rear anti roll bar.

specifically i am looking for the polyflex bushes, a link would be seriously appreciated. Although i have read that the ipd arb upgrade/replacement vastly improves handling. a quick look on the google comes up with prices around 400 US dollars which im not sure on current exchange rates but i cant imagine thats less than £200, which is the amount id be happy to pay for an upgraded roll bar in the near future.

i have a rare bleeding disorder that has left me out of work quite a lot over the past year and i become anaemic a lot now which reduces my IQ to that of a twig, like the lights are on but nobody is in. i used to enjoy searching and reading about car parts and now its rare that im able to process what im looking at.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Tjoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 10:48   #2
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

https://www.powerflexsuspensionbushe...007-3395-c.asp

Hi.

Powerflex is what you`re looking for , i think . This is the link for your vehicle year but no bushes are shown for the rear anti-roll bar.
Before you do anything measure the roll-bar diameter on your vehicle as there are different sizes. Once you know that you should be able to look for the same bush but against a different vehicle ( perhaps the V70).
Factory fit , the bushes are moulded to the bar so a new or upgraded bar would have the bushes on. Fitting the Powerflex , you would have to cut away the old bushes from the bar which is not difficult just time consuming.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 10:57   #3
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

https://www.powerflexsuspensionbushe...hes-3247-c.asp

Hi, me again.
I`ve just had another look and the bushes are listed under universal fit.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 12:45   #4
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
https://www.powerflexsuspensionbushe...hes-3247-c.asp

Hi, me again.
I`ve just had another look and the bushes are listed under universal fit.
Thank you very much for this, that is in fact what I was looking for, powerflex. I'll wrap a string round the ARB to get the internal diameter and go off that. What if my size is an odd number? Do I buy a bush a size up or down? There are only even numbered diameters available.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 14:25   #5
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
The sizes may be an issue here as Volvo sizes are 19mm and 21mm and one other , i think .
I looked at fitting Powerflex but instead fitted Tedgum 21mm as replacements.
You could try the size down on your ARB but i think it will be a pig to fit the clamp.
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 14:45   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

you can try just searching '21mm arb bush' and see what comes up (or whatever size yours is)

for example

im sure once the clamps are on they won't go anywhere

what's it like fitting and/or changing the rear ARB anyway, I was thinking about adding one to mine.. I probably asked before but have forgotten now do you have to drop the subframe? not having one one mine It's not obvious where it should be

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 25th, 2022 at 14:47.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 20:28   #7
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

There`s a really good vid on you-tube of some guy doing V70 bush replacements.( Not me) .
You`d never slide a new bush on from the end of the bar because of the flat portion so the bush has to be cut. The clamp has to be pryed open to get it off / on. A method of squeezing it together in order to get the bolt back in is req`d.
If all that sounds bad , to remove/ refit the arb the n/s shock needs to come off to give wiggle room. Actually un-bolting the arb is easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 21:39   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

assuming we're still talking about the rear end.. taking the shock off is easy enough, it's the spring I wouldn't want to have to mess about with

or, I suppose at least if it does have to come out I'd make a job of it and put new ones back in

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 14:43   #9
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Yeah , i agree.
My point is that once the arb is un-bolted and free floating you have a choice...
1. to cut off the old bushes and replace without removing the shock and also i believe the rear silencer.
2. to remove the said above if you want to fit a new arb with bonded bushes already on.
The OP has an XC70 which differs from the V70 . It may be more involved to get the arb out , i don`t know. I`m err-ing on the side of caution and suggesting to change the bushes. He wants a larger diameter bar but i can`t say how that would effect an XC `s handling . I would have thought it was pretty stiff already.
What i found with my V70 was the shock made the big difference and not the arb. When the shock is worn the rear end skips round corners rather than body rolls.
I fitted Bilstein B4 shocks and replaced the drop-links and arb bushes as matter of course (Meyle-HD and Tedgum) The difference is amazing.
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 11:22   #10
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Yeah , i agree.
My point is that once the arb is un-bolted and free floating you have a choice...
1. to cut off the old bushes and replace without removing the shock and also i believe the rear silencer.
2. to remove the said above if you want to fit a new arb with bonded bushes already on.
The OP has an XC70 which differs from the V70 . It may be more involved to get the arb out , i don`t know. I`m err-ing on the side of caution and suggesting to change the bushes. He wants a larger diameter bar but i can`t say how that would effect an XC `s handling . I would have thought it was pretty stiff already.
What i found with my V70 was the shock made the big difference and not the arb. When the shock is worn the rear end skips round corners rather than body rolls.
I fitted Bilstein B4 shocks and replaced the drop-links and arb bushes as matter of course (Meyle-HD and Tedgum) The difference is amazing.
To be honest I've not really felt the car at full handling capability. I bought it cheap as it was a farm car and a lot of work needed doing to it. I've done or had done most of the work, I think/hope, and I can't complain about the handling, it's an xc so it is a bit wafty if you corner quick. I'm guessing this is cos the suspension is designed for towing and without the extra weight pinning it then it's a bit loosey goosey? I might be wrong, maybe it should corner tight but maybe I've got a few more bits to change before it's how it should be.

2006 xc70 d5 manual