Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cigarette Lighter Replaced With USB

Views : 6409

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 11:25   #1
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Default Cigarette Lighter Replaced With USB

Just before Christmas I decided to replace the cigarette lighter socket in the rear of the armrest with 2 USB charging ports as that is what my children use it for.

This is what I replaced it with, works very well:

I also plan to replace the socket in the boot to with this so I can monitor the battery.

I removed the rubber caps as they look better without them.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 11:31   #2
C320

Thanks, I've been looking at these too although my initial plan was to replace the one in the front panel.

Are those USB sockets a direct replacement to the current outlet in terms of size?

Any tips on how to remove the existing outlets please?

Cheers in advance!
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 11:34   #3
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Stu,

Where did you get the top one? I could do with doing that so the kids can charge their phones etc..

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 11:37   #4
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Thanks, I've been looking at these too although my initial plan was to replace the one in the front panel.

Are those USB sockets a direct replacement to the current outlet in terms of size?

Any tips on how to remove the existing outlets please?

Cheers in advance!
The one in the armrest was a tight fit but not difficult to do. Not sure about the one near the gear stick as I've not tackled that yet but I do plan to change that to a "Twist & Lock" type like the one in the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
Stu,

Where did you get the top one? I could do with doing that so the kids can charge their phones etc..

Mike
eBay, £6 including delivery ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281489906494

Last edited by Shadeyman; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 11:42.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:07   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

I went for 2 of these from Maplins.
They're a really neat, quality fit with plenty of charging current for a phone or tablet and of course they leave the original 12v socket intact for normal accessories (tyre compressor, cool box etc.) http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-uni...-adapter-n31ce
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:17   #6
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I went for 2 of these from Maplins.
They're a really neat, quality fit with plenty of charging current for a phone or tablet and of course they leave the original 12v socket intact for normal accessories (tyre compressor, cool box etc.)
That's similar to the Belkin ones(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181627166168) I was using but they popped out too easily when my children/grand children accidently tugged on the USB cables. Thats why I've swapped them to permanent USB's, they're a much more solid fit but still pull out if tugged on hard enough.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:23   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
That's similar to the Belkin ones(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181627166168) I was using but they popped out too easily when my children/grand children accidently tugged on the USB cables.
I must say they've been rock solid and there's no issues so far and my 7 year can be as ham fisted as they come.
I'm sure she's destined to be a Kwik-Fit fitter.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:30   #8
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
That's similar to the Belkin ones(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181627166168) I was using but they popped out too easily when my children/grand children accidently tugged on the USB cables. Thats why I've swapped them to permanent USB's, they're a much more solid fit but still pull out if tugged on hard enough.
Ah, that Belkin one is exactly the same type I currently have in the front of our XC90. Not had any issues of it coming out but it doesn't sit as flush as I'd like hence my thought of replacing the power outlet with one of these dual USB sockets from eBay.
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:30   #9
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I must say they've been rock solid and there's no issues so far and my 7 year can be as ham fisted as they come.
I'm sure she's destined to be a Kwik-Fit fitter.
I've usually got 4 boys with me, my 2 sons and 2 grandsons. Age ranges from 4 to 7 and they are "extremely" ham fisted, bordering on brutish. I've spent hundreds on headphones, cables, chargers etc. all lost or broken. So far the replacement USB ports are solid, working well. Charging phones, iPods, Tablets etc. I've given up on the headphones as the last time they almost ripped one of the headphone socket and control panel things out(there's 2 in my car, between the 2nd and 3rd row of seats).

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Ah, that Belkin one is exactly the same type I currently have in the front of our XC90. Not had any issues of it coming out but it doesn't sit as flush as I'd like hence my thought of replacing the power outlet with one of these dual USB sockets from eBay.
Yes I was a little disapointed that it was not a perfectly flush fit. They work very well but pull out too easily for my needs ...

Last edited by Shadeyman; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:39.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:44   #10
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

I currently use a couple of THESE Griffin Dual Power Jolt

But you have to be careful where you buy them from as most of the ebay ones are fake! Like THESE!

They sit almost flush, maybe 1mm in it, and nice and snug, BUT I need one of them for the van and another for the Stag, so that's why I looked at permanent replacement for the XC90..

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote