Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 imminently for sale

Views : 777

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 15:57   #1
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Default V40 imminently for sale

Hi all

I have a knackered 2001 V40 in green, Registration Y48RBM, MOT'd til September, shortly to be sold to highest bidder

It has a slightly leaking cylinder head gasket (oil in the radiator as well as coolant in the sump), comprehensively rusted exhaust, and a vague clutch. Mileage 136,000. Cream leather interior fitted

needed patches welded onto the catalytic convo to pass the last MOT

Would be good for breaking as all the engine sensors work well, the car is still capable of 120mph on level ground, 2 near-new rear tyres on standard 15 inch alloys all round, pretty good front tyres too. Braided brake lines fitted

Supplied with [not fitted] 2 replacement front top mounts, 2 new springs, 2 spare used front shocks, and a spare alternator that has only been used for about a year as well as the one thats fitted.

Any interest?
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 18:49   #2
Griffithsbilly88

That's crap mate you got another one lined up?
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 23:49   #3
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

ever since I bought this car I've saved £30 a month into a savings account reserved for buying the next one, as I bought it in a hurry needing a car the next day and never knew if it would last 6 weeks, 6 months or longer.

I got 3 years 3 months so far, and 54,000 miles - but it is at the end of its life and the myriad developing problems mean I cannot in all honesty sell it as a car for actual transport use. And I have cash enough saved to buy another decent enough middle-aged Volvo

When I typed that it was for sale to the highest bidder, that was more a figure of speech than my intention: I am only after scrap value, I would rather it goes to someone who would use the parts that are still good - and there are many - to keep other X40s on the road

I carry an organ donor card for the same reason!

Failing parts - things you should not buy it for: Engine (burns oil, loses water, perforated internally), clutch (vague and noisy, tends to chirp), gearbox (has always whined - never got any worse but its not a great sign), exhaust (laughable)

In the event I buy another V40 I may swap parts over with it, if so I will update this thread before accepting any offer to buy it. I might buy an S60 in which case all original parts will be supplied to the V40s buyer!

Has a new battery this january too, for the record.

Rear bumper replaced after crash in 2012
Front passenger side headlight fogs up, front passenger side wing is slightly deformed - it's had a crash there before I owned it, I think. All lights are bog standard - this was an XS poverty-spec model (no trip computer) and the cream leather interior was fitted by me using parts from a scrapped 2003 V40 Sport. I drilled the rear door trims for the window winders - this is the only cream interior V40 in the world which doesnt have electric rear windows, probably. You'd never know its not authentic from looking though

Last edited by DXMachina; Jul 24th, 2015 at 00:01.
DXMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 21:31   #4
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Will be available in next week or so

Vehicle will be supplied with following list of spare parts separately

New front springs and top-mounts, incorrectly assembled onto known good shock absorbers

Genuine volvo alternator, used for approx 3 years in a car that was then scrapped

Spare wood effect dashboard panels from a phase 1 - and a phase 2 wood effect glovebox strip

MOT expires mid sep. Not economical to keep running. Good for breaking as all sensors work, 2 near-new rear tyres, cream leather interior, heated front seats (not wired in).

Engine, clutch and exhaust knackered, gearbox noisy. Scrap value will obtain this vehicle!

If anyone wants the rear wheels with tyres and has alloys of the same sort, I'll swap wheels with you.

If anyone wants the 7 month old Halfords 096 battery, likewise...

And if anyone has a fabric interior and wants to swap to leather....

Last edited by DXMachina; Aug 14th, 2015 at 21:34.
DXMachina is offline   Reply With Quote