Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault code ECM - 250A

Views : 14522

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2011, 18:57   #1
loucipher

Default Fault code ECM - 250A

hi
This is my first volvo so im hoping this is nothing too serious.

I bought a V70 XT 2.4 (reg Jan 2000) earlier this week and all seemed fine on test drive. It also had a full mot so went ahead with purchasing it.

Took it for a run today about 30-40 miles into the journey the engine management light came on, but there was no noticable change in performance.

I took it to the nearest dealer who ran a diagnostic and said that it showed fault code ECM-250A, which would indicate a problem with the fuel mix. being 12.30 on a saturday there was nothing more he could do for me until Monday, when he could investigate further. He assured me the car wuld be ok to drive home in.

I have checked the forums and cannot find any post listing this fault code.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how i can go about fixing it, without having to undergo open wallet surgery?
loucipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 19:28   #2
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

im assuming yours is a P2 car and not a P1, as for the code i would be thinking along the lines of lambda sensor as your fuel mixture seems to be weak for some reason.

Im sure the P2 people will know more about this than me.

I would also suggest posting over there or ask the mods to move it to the correct place

Simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 19:56   #3
loucipher

hi

thanks for the quick responce.

total newbie here and to volvos so not sure what the difference between a p1 and p2 car is.

the car is old shape v70/850, it only just qualifies as a 2000, as registered on the 4th of january. Unfortunately dont have the log book yet to get any more details. Can look under the bonnet if you tell me where to look.
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 21:31   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

If the car has no fault symptoms, apart from the light, then it's likely to be a failing oxygen sensor.

If the car drives poorly then it points to a failing MAF sensor, for the latter unplug the sensor and see if the car drives better.

Note the car has probably has a Denso engine management system so parts will be expensive but there are alternatives to Volvo prices.

Did you buy from a car dealer?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:02   #5
loucipher

thanks for that i will look into oxegen sensor, as it is starting on the flick of the key and running smooth as anything, idleing fine etc. thee light being on is the only symptom.

and it was a private sale not a dealer.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:32   #6
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

+1..for oxy sensor....mine did exactly the same last year.
Code reader confirmed it and it was replaced...no problems since.
Mine's a Denso car too and I bought a Walker replacement from Ecolambda (HGL Sales) in Hull..tel. 01482 445566...cost £150.

You could also try Sparkplugs.co.uk..they may be slightly cheaper.
Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote