Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 front wing replacement

Views : 674

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:01   #1
T5Sweep
Master Member

Default 850 front wing replacement

Are there any decent replacement wings for these? I've had experience before of poorly fitting aftermarket wings!
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:50   #2
lynturk92

Default Wings

What side and colour are you after, might have one for sale in very good condition and rust free.
lynturk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynturk92 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 12:06   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quick answer - no. I needed one recently, and got an excellent one (£60) from Lakes Autos in Bedford. Or one from a forum member as above of course!

I was kindly offered a couple by forum members (thanks!) but they're not easy to post/courier, so for me travelling to Bedford was nearer (although still quite a trek).

Also, the original quality of these wings is superb, for example they're galvanised against rust, so anything aftermarket is likely to be of significantly inferior quality. The one I got from Lakes was absolutely perfect, not a single spot of rust on it. By the way, when I was there I did see some other wings from Phase 2 cars (and therefore newer) that were a bit rusty at the bottom, an illustration I think of the fact that 850s and phase 1 V70s have better build quality than the later cars IMO.

If you go the Lakes route, hurry, as they're closing the site down. Also be prepared to remove it from the car yourself. They said they'd do it for me before I arrived, and they did, but it was for the wrong car.... They had lots of Phase 1 and 850 cars there though, you might even get one in the right colour.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 13:20   #4
T5Sweep
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynturk92 View Post
What side and colour are you after, might have one for sale in very good condition and rust free.
Drivers side, it's silver, I'll find out the colour code!

Good shout on Lakes, I'm only up the road from them. Do you know when they're closing? I'd heard rumours but wasn't sure it was true.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 13:53   #5
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

no 850 wing is galvanised. why do you think they all rust in front of the wheelarch. they have a sealer on them, but no wing is galvanised

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 16:39   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBiskits View Post
no 850 wing is galvanised. why do you think they all rust in front of the wheelarch. they have a sealer on them, but no wing is galvanised
Taking the wing back to the metal, there's clearly a layer of plating before the steel, so far as I can see. The inside of the wing has little more than a thin layer of primer/base on it, yet no rust whatsoever, in fact it's immaculate. Also, neither of my wings are rusty in front of the wheel arch, nor were any that I saw at lakes - none! Mind, these were V70 phase 1, not 850, I don't know if there's any difference.

Last edited by Luxobarge; Dec 24th, 2017 at 16:41.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 16:42   #7
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Mind, these were V70 phase 1, not 850, I don't know if there's any difference.
you cant compare apples to pears....

and a man who sells good spares wont have rusty bad spares for sale will he?

ive seen more 850s with a rust bubble on their arch than not.

If it was galvanised (hot dipped) youd be getting a greater corrosion warranty than 10 years. its more likely had a coat of zinc primer at a bodyshop.

the only part on an 850 i can guarantee IS galvanised is the subframe holding the engine in

Last edited by DunkinBiskits; Dec 24th, 2017 at 16:50.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 16:47   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBiskits View Post
you cant compare apples to pears....
Fair point, I'd forgotten that the OP wanted an 850 wing not an x70 one, and I'd assumed that the manufacturing process would be the same on both - maybe not? Whatever, my point is that an original wing from a scrappy is likely to be miles better than an aftermarket one yeah?
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 17:15   #9
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

it will be a damn sight thicker definitely! aftermarket wings dent as easily as LandRover Defender panels lol