Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EMERGENCY - WHAT HAVE I DONE , DIY!?!?!

Views : 774

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 20:22   #1
d14vd_h

Default EMERGENCY - WHAT HAVE I DONE , DIY!?!?!

help! ive broke my car FUEL PUMP RELAY FUSES??
after the replies from my last post about the problem of my car sometimes losing power i decided to try some diy with haynes,
it was suggested it may be my fuel pump relay
i took out the ashtray to get access to my fuses and relays, saw that there was a fuse for the fuel pump took this out and wiped it etc made sure it was back in firm
i then pushed my hand up to the back where the relays are and pressed them all down in case one was loose
then i started the car up...
but now instantly the idle is searching and goes very low and the car is very hesitant on acceleration!!!!!!
what have i done,
i have recently had the Idle air control valve cleaned and the oil pump replaced etc it was perfect unil i did this, this evening!
have i dislodged something broke it or what!?!?!
please please help
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 12:25   #2
Wentworth
VOC Member

Default RE: EMERGENCY - WHAT HAVE I DONE , DIY!?!?!

Hmmm. Sounds to me like you have found the culprit.

The relay generally fails because of dry solder joints... they crack with age, weakening or breaking the contact. My guess is that yours was on the way out, giving occasional failures when the relay got too hot, everything expanded and the joint came apart. Its possible that by pushing down on the top of the relay, you have caused it to flex and therefore exacerbated the problem. Aleternatively, you may have shifted it in its socket, giving a bad earth.

I'd be on my way to get a new one and have done with it. In fact thats exactly where I'm going this pm. My 940 refuses to start and my no 1 suspect is the FPR.

Hope that helps, please post back to let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Paul.
1997 V90 B6304 sold @ 116k
1993 945 B200FT retired @ 206k
Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 12:32   #3
Wentworth
VOC Member

Also, this snippet (Copyright Peter K Milnes) may help for accessing the relay:

You must carefully pull off the small trim around the cigar lighter and remove the two screws in the top and bottom corners that are normally covered by the small trim. Then you can remove the cigar lighter tray and gain access to the relays.

Cheers,
paul.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 00:50   #4
d14vd_h

DONE IT!!!!
i took it to the mecahnics first thing this morning and as soon as i got your email i phoned down to ask them to check this first
they phoned me back and said there was a current going to it so it was fine, not convinved i went to volvo and bought both available fuel pump relays for the 940 ones green the other white
this evening i followed the instructions above replaced the relay - mine was white = cheaper of the 2 and its perfect - better than before on start up etc!!!!!
volvo will take back the unused green relay which is just as well because its 50 quid.
thanks for all the advice at least something good came out of my tampering as i reckon your right i found my intermitent fault by making it permanent!!!!
Good luck with yours, let me know!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:15   #5
Wentworth
VOC Member

Well done you.

Looks like I was too cocky. Switching out the FPR on my car hasn't fixed my starting problem! That'll teach me to jump to conclusions!

Cheers,
Paul.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:20   #6
d14vd_h

Looks like i was too cocky aswell,

took the car out this morning, first startup revs dropped to low, switched ignition off started again sat perfectle at 700 revs
started driving felt a little more sluggish than usual,
then when i stopped my oil pressure warning light is on!!!!!!!
after having a new switch and pump and changing to thicker oil it was solved how can it be back after replacing the fuel pump relay!?!?
nightmare!
ive put in some fortifier and a fuel system flush until i get down to the mechanics on fri.
any idea!??!!?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:38   #7
d14vd_h

found this on brickboard....

"I've owned this car for 6 months with absolutely no problems except a noisy ps pump. Suddenly the oil light went on and i then heard the valves complaining of no oil pressure. After flushing the engine, replacing the filter, oil pump and associated tubes, pickups and valves, it still has the problem. From a cold start the engine will idle for hours, including running the rpms up, and the oil light stays off and there is oil pressure. Then a short trip down the road produces the light and valve noise. After a short cool down everything is ok. Sometimes the light goes on right from cold start up.
Answer: The o-ring on the oil pump suction tube in the oil pan has been pulled inward allowing air to enter. While the pan is off the two o-rings at the pan-to-block joint need to be replaced also. "

think this may be oil pump answer -
thoughts???
seems the same symptoms and tird everything i have.