Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear drum brake stuck on

Views : 1153

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2014, 18:20   #1
Tail
Master Member

Default Rear drum brake stuck on

As the title says I went to take the Volvo out today and the nearside rear brake is sticking on, tried dragging it off both forward and back but its not budging. I did replace the cylinder on the other side for the last MOT so I guess its the turn of this one.

The question is, is there a way to free this off without stripping it down on the roadside, I would rather do it on the driveway. I think I remember in the past seeing people hit them to free them off but this was cars that had been stood a long time.
It is fitted with the manual adjusters so I can slacken them off to see if it helps, I don't really want to just wind the drum off with the puller and wreck the brake shoes as they were new only a couple of years a go.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers John
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 18:35   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi Ya John

ok if you try to back the adjusters off and give the drum a careful as you can bang and tap see if that frees it off , failing that just pop your drum puller on and crank her off worst case you will bur the shoe retaining spring cups and you can tap them back into shape with a small hammer and there good to go again no harm at all will happen to the shoes i promise you at the most a new retainer set would be needed at the cost of a few pounds up to a tenner from simon at brookhouseparts but i have done it lots of times and never damaged any shoes or those retainer cups i have seen some rusted right up before when i have got in there finally lol

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 18:37   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

John;

If you mean that brake is binding without any good reason, there's likely something wrong with the mechanism which has allowed a shoe to bind with the drum...normally shoes have enough spring force pulling them together to pull wheel cylinders back, but if pistons are bound up, wheel cylinders need rebuilding or replacing...I'd try loosening adjuster certainly...maybe that results in enough play to allow drum to turn, but if caused by stuck pistons, the first time you apply brake, problem will reoccur...let us know how you make out...

Good hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 20:41   #4
Volvo_133
VOC member

Hi John,
If your car is later type with twin circuit brakes, I would back off the adjuster as mentioned, if dragging persists i would momentarily open the wheel cylinder bleed nipple.
Problem then is a faulty flexi hose. Good luck.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 23:25   #5
Tail
Master Member

It is the later type twin circuit and the flexi hoses were replaced last year with stainless flexi pipes so hopefully its not those gone already. Thanks for the replies will get back to you soon
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 20:17   #6
Amma122s

Had a similar problem but on my 66 122s with single circuit. Turned out it was the brake cylinder so changed both the same time
Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amma122s For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 22:21   #7
Tail
Master Member

I had one go last year and that was changed and have just ordered one from simon today so that will be a job on Sunday, after a bit of work on SandG's estate on Saturday hopefully.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 18:24   #8
Tail
Master Member

And they free'd off in about two minutes once i got the wheel off, screwed the adjuster in and a gentle tap all the way round the drum with a hammer. Still stripping them down for their annual clean up, the little brackets that secure the handbrake cable to the chassis around midway were a total swine to loosen up, must be 20 years since they were done then caked in underseal. Still, all off now just need to decide to bung some new cables on or oil up the old ones, the crimped parts are looking a bit rusty so might spring for new ones.

Thanks again fellas
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 21:30   #9
Tail
Master Member

Decision made, new cables and assorted bracketry ordered from Simon