Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Performance 940 turbo .

Views : 2668

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2013, 08:40   #1
wagonracer
Jap car killer

Default Performance 940 turbo .

Hey , I've been around the Volvo tuning scene for a while now , especially 940 turbos , frequented turbobricks and the like , i don't often post here but thought I would just drop a quick post maybe in the idea of helping our uk performance 940s .

Here is mine :

And here is the spec :

Internally stock B230FT high pressure turbo engine , later model 'air con ' water radiator conversion and fan , home made stainless 'long' 3" airflow meter , tdo4hl-18t turbocharger from v70 awd R ,-31 cosworth actuator adapted to fit , slotted Volvo R sport K cam , alloy vernier pulley advanced 3 deg ,round tooth belt conversion , heat reflective wrapped solid boost pipes , 3" solid intake , stainless cone filter , mikalors clamps , bpr7es plugs gapped @ 0.28 thou, 3" thick eBay alloy intercooler , 440cc 'light blue ' cosworth injectors , oil catch tank , impreza torque damper , HDI Electronic boost controller set @ 27 psi ,socketed ezk ignition ecu with 7000rpm ignition chip ,unimobilised 984 fuel ecu and chip, hand ported exhaust manifold , TTV racing billet 5.5kg flywheel , 850R clutch , later m90 gearbox conversion , 3 inch titanium heat wrapped stainless downpipe , decat , leading into full 3" stainless exhaust with free flow silencer .

Dyno sheets from Monday :

Couple of vids :

http://youtu.be/fVsvBoDe4eA

http://youtu.be/WLfYZRGdics

That's : 305.9 bhp 334.1lb/ft

Plans are already afoot for next years engine to brake the 400 mark .

The signature below is for my 940 I built 6 or so years ago .

Last edited by wagonracer; Dec 4th, 2013 at 08:46.
wagonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wagonracer For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 09:38   #2
crogthomas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
impreza torque damper
Is that the doofer attached to the inlet manifold? What is the other end fixed to?
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 09:54   #3
wagonracer
Jap car killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogthomas View Post
Is that the doofer attached to the inlet manifold? What is the other end fixed to?
Inlet is drilled and tapped for m10 , other end is attached to the strut brace .
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 17:03   #4
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default strut brace

i like the strut brace(s) , where did you get them from? Nice numbers too.
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 00:18   #5
wagonracer
Jap car killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
i like the strut brace(s) , where did you get them from? Nice numbers too.
Thanks , and I made it myself , there is also a Volvo under chassis brace doubled up and extended forward to the crossmember for extra rigidity , chassis also has bilstien b8's , rose jointed drop links , double rear arb ,5 mm spacers all round and 3 deg camber by re drilling top mounts .

How easy and effective was your wasted spark ? I've already added it to the 'to do ' list
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 17:08   #6
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default Buchka spark

I gave a link in my project thread. It's pretty straight forward. You need to keep the ignition amplifier intact and tap into the 12v wire to it and run it to the 960 ignition amplifier. I used a punto coilpack. You get a lot better spark as there's no gaps to jump or moving parts. I've had no issues at all with it. If you fancy making me another strut bar I'd nip down east and pick it up
Once I get a t31 actuator in mine it should have similar power to yours. Was the 15g running a bit hot at 27psi?!
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 17:51   #7
wagonracer
Jap car killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
I gave a link in my project thread. It's pretty straight forward. You need to keep the ignition amplifier intact and tap into the 12v wire to it and run it to the 960 ignition amplifier. I used a punto coilpack. You get a lot better spark as there's no gaps to jump or moving parts. I've had no issues at all with it. If you fancy making me another strut bar I'd nip down east and pick it up
Once I get a t31 actuator in mine it should have similar power to yours. Was the 15g running a bit hot at 27psi?!
That's the old spec , of my old car , see original post for new spec I'm using a 18t now but yeah it does get a bit hot , it's got a big intercooler with meth spay to cool , I need to monitor temps ASAP

I'd be up for making another , I scavenged that tubing so I'd need to find more or something ?

I'm gonna look at your project thread , havnt been on for a while so I've missed a few things lol .
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 23:28   #8
john h
VOC Member

Very nice work.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 18:22   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Nice looking build. I've not come across the R sport K cam before only the normal K cam, is there a difference?

Do you plan on changing the turbo to hit the 400BHP mark?
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 20:59   #10
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
Thanks , and I made it myself , there is also a Volvo under chassis brace doubled up and extended forward to the crossmember for extra rigidity , chassis also has bilstien b8's , rose jointed drop links , double rear arb ,5 mm spacers all round and 3 deg camber by re drilling top mounts .

How easy and effective was your wasted spark ? I've already added it to the 'to do ' list
Nice build there and nice power too .whats the whp mate .iv got a slightly modded 940 too .we will have to meet up in the new season .
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post: