Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp wipers

Views : 794

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2018, 23:10   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Headlamp wipers

I know that headlamp wipers are one of those "marmite" questions - you either love 'em or hate 'em, but for me they are a part of what makes a Volvo a proper Volvo.

My S90's nearside headlamp wiper wouldn't self park all of a sudden, so I thought I'd take it all to bits as see if I could make it all work properly again. I've previously sorted headlamp wipers on a 740, a p1 V70 and an S70, so I reckoned that it's a job I'd be OK to do.

Removing the nearside indicator assembly was a doddle, as was taking off the grille, and then locating all four bolts that hold the headlight assembly in place. But I can't see how to remove the headlamp assembly from the car without taking the bumper off first. Is there a way to do this?

Because headlamp removal was beginning to look a bit more of a challenge I put everything back for now, but not before giving the connector a good tug and wiggle. To my surprise the wiper now parks itself absolutely perfectly, So I'm surmising that possibly the problem wasn't the motor, but the connector.

But I'm now thinking that it would be useful to know how to remove the headlamp wiper motor for future reference. So, does anyone have any tips on this? And is the motor unique to the S/V90, or will any motor of that same vintage fit? Although I could only get a glimpse of the motor itself, it does look a lot like the headlamp wiper motor from the p1 70-series cars.

Anyone got any experience of S/V90 headlamp wiper motor swaps?

Thanks in advance

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 16:39   #2
Delta66

No idea on removal, but it may work better after a tug because the plastic gears in the motor are better aligned.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 15:38   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
No idea on removal, but it may work better after a tug because the plastic gears in the motor are better aligned.
More likely the connectors were dirty/oxidised after 20+ years of never being touched and wiggling the plugs cleaned the contacts enough to get it working again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 19:43   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Guess you're right Dave. A week on from the wiggle and still working as Volvo intended!

Cheers

Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 18:57   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Well the N/S headlamp wiper packed up altogether a few weeks ago, so I decided to disconnect both and leave things be. But, of course, I'd much rather have the car working as Volvo intended, so I decided to take another look last weekend.

The result is that I've now discovered that it most definitely IS possible to remove an S90 headlamp wiper without removing the front bumper. Fiddly but do-able.

And I've discovered that it's also perfectly possible to replace the headlamp wiper motor without removing the bumper! Slightly less fiddly than the removal if truth be known!

Full marks to Dumfries Volvo Spares for a very prompt delivery, and now my pride and joy can both wash and wipe its peepers!

Jack
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 10:42   #6
kalstras
Volvo for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Well the N/S headlamp wiper packed up altogether a few weeks ago, so I decided to disconnect both and leave things be. But, of course, I'd much rather have the car working as Volvo intended, so I decided to take another look last weekend.

The result is that I've now discovered that it most definitely IS possible to remove an S90 headlamp wiper without removing the front bumper. Fiddly but do-able.

And I've discovered that it's also perfectly possible to replace the headlamp wiper motor without removing the bumper! Slightly less fiddly than the removal if truth be known!

Full marks to Dumfries Volvo Spares for a very prompt delivery, and now my pride and joy can both wash and wipe its peepers!

Jack
Thank you for posting this, its something of a consideration and you've dispelled my fears
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalstras For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 17:02   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalstras View Post
Thank you for posting this, its something of a consideration and you've dispelled my fears
No doubt someone will be along to tell me that bumper removal ain't so bad, but I didn't fancy trying it, but hey - I like a challenge!

So, removing a 1990's 960 / x90 headlamp washer motor really isn't too bad. It goes something like this:
  • Lift bonnet to the full vertical position - it gets it completely out of your way.
  • Remove the indicator lamp housing. There's a simple push-down clip on top, then the housing slides out. Remove the bulb - it's a simple bayonet fitting - and lift the housing away from the car.
  • Remove grille by releasing the two spring clips and removing them. The grille just lifts away.
  • Remove the plastic panel that sits above the grille and in front of the bonnet slam panel - two plastic one-turn fasteners hold this in place.
  • Remove the plastic side panels bolted between the radiator and the headlamp unit - there are two on each side, all held together with a total of 4 Torx bolts. The RH and LH panels are slightly different as the LH set have a cut-out to fit the air intake, but the principle is the same both sides.
  • Undo the the fastenings holding the headlamp assembly. There's 4 altogether - a nut to the top inboard, a bolt to the side inboard, and two bolts in the void left exposed when you remove the indicator.
  • Remove the wiper arm complete, detaching the washer hose as you go.
  • Disconnect the electrical plug at the end of the cable which runs from the wiper motor. It is a VERY tight fit, and the cable lengths are very short, so you'll need to lever the plug and socket apart carefully.
  • Remove the bulb cover from the back of the headlamp unit.
  • The wiper motor is on a L-shaped bracket fixed to the rear of the headlamp assembly by two Torx bolts into the back of the housing. These can be reached by either from the indicator void, or from above, or from the space created by the removal of the inboard plastic panels, or from underneath.
  • I found that with a bit of huffing and puffing, and pulling the headlamp unit forward and up, I could get a Torx bit onto each bolt, and then undo them by hand. They are into plastic so not really very tight. It's a bit fiddly, but it is do-able. Patience is the key!
  • When the two bolts are removed the wiper motor can be manoeuvred downwards and away from the car. It'll come away complete with its cable and bracket.
  • Replacement is as it says in all the best manuals, simply a reversal of the procedure. I found it easiest to manoeuvre the new motor up and into place from underneath. As you're putting it all back ensure that the wiper motor spindle passes easily through the hole in the plastic bumper cover. Mine didn't at first, so I had to bend the wiper motor bracket a little to ensure that the spindle didn't foul on the bumper.

When you come to replace the wiper arms operate the wipers a couple of times without the arms in place so that the motors are definitely in the PARK position. It's then perfectly straightforward to set the arms in the correct position. The first time I tested the finished result I made sure that the arms were lifted clear of the headlamp glass - just in case I'd misjudged the sweep of the arm, and the PARK position. These are powerful motors, and a misaligned wiper arm will dig a gouge out of the bumper paintwork with ease!

I guess you could disconnect the battery before starting, but I must admit that I didn't bother. Once the wiper motor plug is removed from its socket I can't see that you're in any danger of shorting anything out - plus of course the wipers are ignition controlled anyway.

All you need tool-wise is a basic 1/4" socket set with a selection of Torx bits, an extension bar and a universal joint. A torch is helpful, as is a magnetic retriever tool, or a long pair of forceps, should you drop anything down into the depths (as I did - twice!).

Work carefully and methodically, making a note of where the various fasteners go as you go along.

You're not doing anything to alter the headlamp aim, so I'd say that there's no need to get this adjusted once everything is back together.

I know that not everyone is a fan of headlamp wipers, but I think that they do form a part of the proper Volvo "look", especially on these older cars, and they do help to keep your headlamps clean and clear - especially in falling snow.

Added to that, I do get asked when people look at the car ".....and do those things (the headlamp wipers) still work?" Well now I can say with confidence "Of course they do - it's a Volvo!".

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Oct 27th, 2018 at 17:06.
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: