Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Illuminated hazard lights switch - can it be done?

Views : 770

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2015, 20:55   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Illuminated hazard lights switch - can it be done?

Can a hazard light switch be fitted to the 240, later dashboard, illuminated when the lights are on? Like the illuminated electric window switches.

Maybe from a non-240 Volvo, or maybe a proprietory switch or from another car make?

Are hazard lights switches standard electrically or are they specific to the make and model of car?

Any advice please.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:14   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Do you mean faintly illuminated all the time, so that you can find the switch, and then flashing brightly when you turn them on?
I'd think you'd need an extra permanently live feed for that, plus a second very dim bulb.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:34   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Yes. To help find the switch.

I'm re arranging the switches so that I can find them easily anyway. But the illumination of the hazard switch seems worth a little thiinking about while I'm doing it. Most newer cars have that and it is one good idea of newer cars I think. It's not something I'd put a lot of effort in to though.
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 22:03   #4
940Graeme
Premier Member

My 1989 240 GLT has a little "downlighter" over the hazard switch so that it is illuminated at night.

Check that there isn't a hole already above the switch and it is just that the bulb hasn't gone?

Sure all later models had this feature.

Good luck,
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 10:47   #5
Angie
Premier Member

I thought there should be illumination for the switches as well as to the heater controls and discovered that all the bulbs had failed. There are lights which shine through slots in the panel above the switches, as well as the ones lower down for the heater. I had some fun replacing the bulbs but if I can do it I'm sure you can! My switches, for rear window heater, fog lights and hazard lights, are all grouped to the right of the panel so easy to locate in the dark anyway as long as I remember which order they're in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo 008.jpg (291.3 KB, 30 views)
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 10:57   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
I thought there should be illumination for the switches as well as to the heater controls and discovered that all the bulbs had failed. There are lights which shine through slots in the panel above the switches, as well as the ones lower down for the heater. I had some fun replacing the bulbs but if I can do it I'm sure you can! My switches, for rear window heater, fog lights and hazard lights, are all grouped to the right of the panel so easy to locate in the dark anyway as long as I remember which order they're in!
Nice layout you have there. And that outside temp gauge looks neat. Perhaps I should be good and maybe Santa will find one and give it to me!

I must get those bulbs sorted, yes. I am about to re group my switches. Lose the seatbelt warning light. Sunroof, rear screen heater and driver's mirror heater to the right - hazard lights just left of centre, I reckon I can remember that layout.

I must fix the heated mirror. And I wonder if the combined switch for both the heated rear screen and driver's mirror from a 740 would fit and work on the 240 ...

The towing indicators warning light is already removed. It was not connected to anything. There's a buzzer which is annoyign but I've only ever towed about 4 miles with this car. Oh, I'll have to tow the 4 miles back some time before Christmas Day.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 21:27   #7
Angie
Premier Member

Suunroof? Heated mirrors?? Really, that's just showing off!

I do wonder though, to be serious, would it be possible to put heated mirrors on a Torslanda? I don't particularly want to alter the car too much by putting electrically adjustable ones on but I've often thought that having them heated could be a real improvement.

The ambient temperature gauge is surprisingly reassuring even in our mild winters. In fact even more so in a way because we tend not to expect icy roads much in this part of the country so I've often been surprised to notice the red warning light showing, and driven accordingly. They do appear sometimes on Ebay, though I bought mine from someone here, I seem to remember. I also have a digital one, which is correct for the year but doesn't look in character so decided to keep the analogue one on for now.

I've kept the towing light even though I've never done any towing, it's there and I might one day pluck up courage to tow the dinghy trailer. We bought a caravan a few years ago but didn't use it, then had to sell it when we moved house as there's nowhere here to keep it.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 19:58   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I guess your best hope of economically fitting a heated driver door mirror would be by plunder. When is the next shipwreck planned? Get everything needed from a 740. But I think there might be quite a bit of work involved.

That ambient temperature gauge increasingly sounds interesting. And yes, analogue must surely be more appropriate visually on a 240 rather than digital.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 16:04   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I'm just remembering the almost primary coloured panel switches on earlier 240s with very plain white painted markings. In case I find one, do they fit the later 240s?

The later switches are sort of "executive style" ...