Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 CV joint

Views : 469

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2024, 23:35   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default V70 CV joint

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the outer CV joint on their P3 Volvo.

I've noticed that the V70 is making a slight clicking/popping noise when you put the car into gear. The wheel arch liner was off on the passenger side anyway, as the headlight washer pump has packed in (part arriving tomorrow). I put my hand on the outer CV joint on the passenger side and could feel and hear the click... There's play in the joint. The rubber boot isn't torn or anything, but there's definitely excessive movement.

On cars I've owned in the past, you could buy a kit to replace the outer CV joint, which saved having to buy a whole inner/outer CV assembly. Can you do this on the P3 platform?

I've had a look at various parts websites (GSF, Motor Parts Direct, Skandix and Parts for Volvo), but I don't seem to be able to source an outer CV joint repair kit and I can't even find a full CV joint either - A message pops up saying part not available, which usually means its main dealer only.

I assume an outer CV joint repair kit might not be an option on this car? If that's the case, where did you buy your whole CV assembly from and how much would it be approximately? Or, if there's an outer repair kit, where do I get one and how much?

I've tried YouTube also, but not much luck there either. I can only find P2 videos primarily, but as usual, P3 repair videos are pretty limited.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places...

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help.

PS. Its a 2008 V70 D5 automatic.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 30th, 2024 at 23:37.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2024, 02:19   #2
xavierx

Hi Kev, yes you can replace the outer (inner is not replaceable)

The genuine parts are made by GKN Lobro

Autodoc has a whole bunch of different brands.

I got the genuine GKN Lobro one from GSF car parts in my local town of all places
2011 F10 BMW M5
xavierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2024, 21:01   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Thanks xavierx.

I can't find outer CV joint kits on GSF's website. I'll give Autodoc a try.
Old May 31st, 2024, 21:56   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the outer CV joint on their P3 Volvo.

I've noticed that the V70 is making a slight clicking/popping noise when you put the car into gear. The wheel arch liner was off on the passenger side anyway, as the headlight washer pump has packed in (part arriving tomorrow). I put my hand on the outer CV joint on the passenger side and could feel and hear the click... There's play in the joint. The rubber boot isn't torn or anything, but there's definitely excessive movement.

On cars I've owned in the past, you could buy a kit to replace the outer CV joint, which saved having to buy a whole inner/outer CV assembly. Can you do this on the P3 platform?

I've had a look at various parts websites (GSF, Motor Parts Direct, Skandix and Parts for Volvo), but I don't seem to be able to source an outer CV joint repair kit and I can't even find a full CV joint either - A message pops up saying part not available, which usually means its main dealer only.

I assume an outer CV joint repair kit might not be an option on this car? If that's the case, where did you buy your whole CV assembly from and how much would it be approximately? Or, if there's an outer repair kit, where do I get one and how much?

I've tried YouTube also, but not much luck there either. I can only find P2 videos primarily, but as usual, P3 repair videos are pretty limited.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places...

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help.

PS. Its a 2008 V70 D5 automatic.
Are you 100% sure it is the CV Joint itself ? I have found it is most often the splines in the hub and the retaining bolt weak, the bolt should be Genuine Volvo and renewed every time they are removed and torqued up to the correct figure. If there IS play in the splines put some locktite around the splines in a ring about 10mm wide don't smother the whole length of the splines with locktite. Leave it overnight before testing.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 18:18   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

Does it sound like this?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 20:49   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Are you 100% sure it is the CV Joint itself ? I have found it is most often the splines in the hub and the retaining bolt weak, the bolt should be Genuine Volvo and renewed every time they are removed and torqued up to the correct figure. If there IS play in the splines put some locktite around the splines in a ring about 10mm wide don't smother the whole length of the splines with locktite. Leave it overnight before testing.
I can feel and hear the clunking metallic "clock" like sound coming from the outer CV joint, particularly in reverse. I put my hand on the outer part and that's where its coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Does it sound like this?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
It doesn't sound like that.

I know a video might help, but the engine mount is out of the car and the engine is currently supported with a jack (awaiting parts). I don't want to risk starting it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 2nd, 2024 at 20:53.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 23:34   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Just having a look on Autodoc...

I can see that the outer CV joint is replaceable with a rebuild kit, but there's nothing for the inner. So I assume if there's play in the inner joint (transmission side), I have to buy whole CV joint assemblies?

However, I did come across a part called an "intermediate bearing". Maybe the bearing on mine is shot and that's causing the play on the transmission side? I can feel movement underneath my left foot as I'm accelerating or moving from a standstill. That's more or less where the driveshaft goes into the transmission. So if that bearing alone is replaceable, maybe I don't need a whole CV axle?

Passenger side outer joint is making noise. Its hard to describe, but if you say "clock" fast, that's what it sounds like and I can feel the play when I put my hand on the rubber boot. I could get an outer CV kit to sort that.

Driver's side is different. The "play" is on the transmission side. Outer joint seems fine on that side.

Its a 2008 V70 D5 6-speed automatic.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 6th, 2024 at 23:40.
Old Jun 9th, 2024, 21:20   #8
Daim
Brit in Germany

The intermediate bearing is in the drivers side (UK) and just supports the right drive shaft. The noise won't be from that, as it has no splines. I am quite sure as Clan said, your issue is in the splines of the outer ends to the wheel bearing. That would be my first try. New screws cost sod all. You can even do it without removing the wheels, if you can get the center caps off.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote