Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Paint problem - suggestions?

Views : 388

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 21:59   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default Paint problem - suggestions?

It's obviously hard to diagnose a paint issue over the internet, especially when it's hard to show it in a picture but the problem's this.

The paint on my S80 (dark blue metallic) looks good when it's been washed but once it's dried the surface looks like it's been rained on by 'dust filled' clouds.

It's as if I've parked near a beach and someone's thrown sand onto it.

I've tried using a claybar on it to lift any residue and whilst that's made it smoother, the marks have stayed there, ie gone when wet but once dried off, back again.

There doesn't appear to be any lifting of any coatings and as the issue is on all of the panels I don't believe it's due to any re-painting.

I've tried googling and looking through some YouTube videos to see if I could see any pics of something similar, but I've been out of luck.

Maybe where it was parked by the previous owner, or the way they used to clean it (I've only had it for a couple of months) may have caused this issue.

Thoughts?

Has anyone else had or seen similar.
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 22:27   #2
JoeNinety

Possibly the clearcoat is clouding...

Is there a location on the car that you could "have a go at" ?

Something like:
1000 wet and dry until really cloudy....(with water and optional fairy liquid)
then
Meguairs Ultimate....by hand or with a polisher

This will take off the top surface then polish back up to a shine, and maybe resolve?

If it works, it might be better to get a car detailer to do the whole car - £300 ish, but might be worth it, unless you have the tools, time and skill to do it yourself.
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 23:35   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNinety View Post
Possibly the clearcoat is clouding...

Is there a location on the car that you could "have a go at" ?

Something like:
1000 wet and dry until really cloudy....(with water and optional fairy liquid)
then
Meguairs Ultimate....by hand or with a polisher

This will take off the top surface then polish back up to a shine, and maybe resolve?

If it works, it might be better to get a car detailer to do the whole car - £300 ish, but might be worth it, unless you have the tools, time and skill to do it yourself.
Thank you.

It sounds like something to investigate.

Appreciate the suggestions.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 15:09   #4
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Before you attack the paint work with wet/day I would be inclined to try a polisher with some professional cutting compound, start with a course compound working to a fine compound and a final polish that's what most paint shops would use to blend old paint to new paint.

It might be worth you watching this to see what each involves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHEpqYGuUHI
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 16:40   #5
Willow place

At least the OP has something to polish !! All the Top coat on mine is either peeling or gone , the only nice bit of paintwork is the roof and tailgate ! Once the last bit has peeled off the bonnet I will get some Varnish and spray it on !
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote