Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Original Volvo Manual search

Views : 930

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2017, 16:53   #1
omc 47
VOC Member

Default Original Volvo Manual search

Hi All,
for some time now I've been tempted to ask the true Volvo blooded amongst you if you've ever seen or owned an original Volvo Amazon Manual printed in Goteborg Sweden and full of immaculate coloured drawings with seperate sections for the different sections of the car, Engine,Gearbox,Diff etc and with unfolding sections to give a larger cross sectional view of the components.

I say tempted because I fear the answer may be they are very rare, well at one time I owned such a book from previous Amazon ownership and stupidly gave it to a collegues father to read and swat up on a problem he had with his white 122s.
When his father passed away I delayed in asking of it's whereabouts due to respect etc and eventually when I did proach the subject I was told that there was no book when the car was sold and "More than likely the old chap gave it away as he was like that"
Frequent searches have turned up with nothing and I don't have the Reg No only the late owners name of Harry Holden from Willersey near Broadway Worc's.
If I find the Reg it may help but the question is How rare is such a book and where would one find another one? to complete the ownership of my "67" 131.

regards all

Andy
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 17:29   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

What you are describing sounds like the standard owners handbook which came inside a blue plastic folder. However your description of the contents is rather more colourful than they actually are. Some memories are like that. The contents changed year by year as the specs changed and there is a number including the relevant year on the bottom of the back cover. Not hard to find, but condition varies, as they were often left on the shelf and subject to drips from windscreen leaks. Some brochure, or similar dealers, tend to price them very high. Regularly on eBay.
The cover for the '67 is white with Volvo across the top and 120 at the bottom right corner in gold. A black side view of a 2 door Amazon is pictured going right to left across the centre.
Does this ring a bell?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 20:56   #3
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi Derek thanks for the reply,

no this was an A4 size Dark blue covered book that had VOLVO in gold down the spine and contained seperate ring binder sections that were stepped with abreviations and unclipped and yes it was colourful and showed the breakdown section of diff, gearbox, clutch etc.

It would have been kept in the house or office and was not an item kept in the car...................I fear it is rarer than I first thought.
Normally I NEVER lend anything that is dear to me but I knew this guy from my teens (over 50 years ago) and he was a mechanic.......and father of a good mate lesson learned I think.
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 22:41   #4
Lucien
VOC Member

I think you're referring to what is often called the "Green Books" or Factory Workshop Manual. A series of green books (A4 soft cover) with one for each bit of the car, filed in a blue vinyl covered ring binder. They do come up on ebay for sale from time to time.

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 23:18   #5
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi Lucien,

Yes I'm aware of the green books but this was not a green book format, the different sections were different colours with identification markers on the edge of the pages eg' Clutch one colour, gearbox another and so on, also some of the pages unfolded and displayed the entire cut through section as if the part had been cut through with a hacksaw and these drawings were coloured in fine detail.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 11:06   #6
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi ya ,

Yes I have one of those and my dad has them for all the p1800 , 120 , 145 models .
It's more a parts book but shows location where they go on the car with cross sections I think like you say , I bought it hoping back when I started working on these cars but it's not what I call a workshop manual hence me not using it but great for viewing parts and where they go .

If your seeking one I might sell mine for the right money think I paid £75 quid off eBay it's extremely durable in its hard backed ring binder with metal spine .
It's a main dealers parts book your asking about ....

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Apr 30th, 2017 at 11:09.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 11:23   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

I've never seen one of these Robert. If you are able, can you post a few pictures of it and the contents please. Something else to look for............

I'd probably buy from you if OMC doesn't want it.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 11:28   #8
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I've never seen one of these Robert. If you are able, can you post a few pictures of it and the contents please. Something else to look for............

I'd probably buy from you if OMC doesn't want it.
Found a image online this is what I have for p120 models

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 15:48   #9
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi Robert & Derek,

this is an interesting development as the book contents I had were in a plastic ring binder format so if the sections are what you say then someone has transferred the whole lot from a metal spine manual.
I have a similar Workshop Manual for a PV544 series in green book format with a metal spined Volvo cover like the one in your Photo Robert.

At some point could you show a couple of pages with the drawings cross section which would then confirm your comments to me.
Also your experience of your Fathers books may tally with my purchase at the time of the Amo' Estate I bought from a guy who bought it brand new from a Gloucester Volvo Dealer which would tie in with the Dealers Book theory.

Derek if this is the correct book then I would like to buy it from Robert as part of the history.
And Robert please send me an idea of your price, you can message me or Email me on andy.can@btinternet.com many thanks Gents.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 19:38   #10
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
Hi Robert & Derek,

this is an interesting development as the book contents I had were in a plastic ring binder format so if the sections are what you say then someone has transferred the whole lot from a metal spine manual.
I have a similar Workshop Manual for a PV544 series in green book format with a metal spined Volvo cover like the one in your Photo Robert.

At some point could you show a couple of pages with the drawings cross section which would then confirm your comments to me.
Also your experience of your Fathers books may tally with my purchase at the time of the Amo' Estate I bought from a guy who bought it brand new from a Gloucester Volvo Dealer which would tie in with the Dealers Book theory.

Derek if this is the correct book then I would like to buy it from Robert as part of the history.
And Robert please send me an idea of your price, you can message me or Email me on andy.can@btinternet.com many thanks Gents.
Yes The plastic binder ones are repro versions of this original so must have taken the guy a while so lots more could have this available

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Apr 30th, 2017 at 19:41.