Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Collision warning

Views : 1626

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 10:08   #1
andymcp
Premier Member

Default Collision warning

I'm sometimes getting an audible warning and a red band of light beamed onto the windscreen, in the same way that distance alerts grow gradually brighter depending on the distance set in ACC. I'm assuming this is a collision warning, but it seems to happen at the oddest moments. I sometimes need to pull out around parked cars, which presumably puts me on a theoretical collision course with oncoming cars, but they are far enough away that I don't feel I've had to rush the pass, or need to swerve back into lane too quickly. Yet up comes the audible warning, although it has never activated any braking (yet). Sometimes just riving along a straight road it goes off, although that's much rarer.

Has anyone else had seemingly inappropriate warnings, or is this just mine? I do make a point of keeping the radar and screen sensor areas clean.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 10:52   #2
acb5

Yes it does seem to go off a little prematurely sometimes. You can turn it off in settings under collision warning. I leave it on as for the sake of a few false alarms I would rather that than no warning at all. I suppose technology cannot always be foolproof.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 17:31   #3
Flux
Premier Member

I've found that it goes off all the time. Lights usually but often with the buzzer if it thinks you're about to crash - or get too close to something ahead.

You do get used to although it's not that annoying - keep in on all the time though.

TBH it's never alerted me to something I wasn't already aware of (or anticipating) but guess one day it might.

Think the technology could do with tweaking to be less sensitive although I guess it's processing huge amounts of data every second and doesn't act quite in the same way as a human brain - thankfully - otherwise you'd end up like a gibbering wreck and paranoid every time you pull out!

Last edited by Flux; Jun 1st, 2014 at 18:24.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 21:03   #4
andymcp
Premier Member

Thanks both, glad it's not just mine

Flux, if yours goes off more often without sound, have you checked how far ahead your distance setting goes? I didn't realise at first that the ACC distance setting is then mirrored for collision warning. I usually set ACC for three bars but then need to reduce it to one once switched off otherwise the warning lights become intrusive. I've only ever know collision warning to have full lights and sound, the rest of the lights can have their sensitivity reduced.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 22:29   #5
Flux
Premier Member

Wasn't actually aware collision warnings was linked to ACC distance settings.

I often change the distance settings on ACC but didn't think this affected anything else, especially when I turn off ACC.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will make sure I keep the same setting in future ant this might help the sensitively of other warnings.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 22:40   #6
Crockers
Premier Member

I find each bar represents approx 1 second. So I use 2 bars on motorway and 3 if its raining. In town often down to 1 bar.

Yes I've had erroneous warnings, but when analysing them I can see why. Like a person walking on pavement turns TTY towards the road. Or a sharpish bend with a car parked on it.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 21:38   #7
Splottlands2

Default In for repair

Mines in for repair atm managed to book it in with 3 days of warranty left
Driver Alert, lane departure and the speed sensor for traffice signs all packed in. Just waiting for a report from volvo technical as 'there were issues with the wiring loom"
Splottlands2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 10:51   #8
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I've found mine to be really sensitive since the last service & SW update. It's something you just get used to rather than being annoying as I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have turned off the distance alerting though as in town & heavy traffic it seems to be too sensitive esp. on the motorway where leaving the correct distance to the car in front at all times just provides opportunity for other traffic to jump into the gap.

Acc is normally set at 2 bars in the dry 3 in the rain & 4 in monsoon conditions
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 10:44   #9
quinno

Default Collision warning, ACC, Land Departure not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splottlands2 View Post
Mines in for repair atm managed to book it in with 3 days of warranty left
Driver Alert, lane departure and the speed sensor for traffice signs all packed in. Just waiting for a report from volvo technical as 'there were issues with the wiring loom"
Splottlands I'd be interested to know the output of your repair visit. Mine has stopped working too; so ACC, lane departure and collision warning are all off line. For reference I have a 2010 XC60; you can spot part of the system (the MM wave radar) by the blanked off section on the front grill. A visit to the main dealer for another reason did resolve the issue for a couple of months.
quinno is offline   Reply With Quote